Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Tools -Machine polishers, Pressure Washers, Detailing Equipment & Microfiber
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tools -Machine polishers, Pressure Washers, Detailing Equipment & Microfiber Sponsored by Detailed Clean : www.DetailedClean.co.uk – | Bilt Hamber | Dodo Juice | Nanolex | Sonus | Wolfs Chemicals + More | Loyalty Scheme Discounts |

Old 13-03-2018, 01:04 PM   #1
J444FOG
Unwashed Member

Karcher k4 car kit - what am I doing wrong?

Hi, I've just bought my first pressure washer, a Karcher k4 with the car and home attachments.
I had fantastic ideas of being able to rinse the dirt off the car, then snow foam and then wash it all off etc.
I managed to use a whole bottle of the Karcher car wash liquid and only covered 3/4 of the car! I had the foam nozzle attachment at first, which whopped through the liquid in the little bottle, so I thought I'd better put the detergent bottle in the machine to see if that was any better.
It wasn't, in fact it was worse.
I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.
It can't be right to use a whole bottle for one car, surely. Otherwise it is a very very expensive way to clean the car.
I checked that I was on low pressure, but on the foam attachment, it kept saying it was on high pressure on the control gun thing, and you can't adjust the foam attachment.
Has anyone got any good advice on how to use the Karcher supplied accessories and what I should check before giving up on snow foam?
Thanks!

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
J444FOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 01:13 PM   #2
Deje
PC Perfectionist

Well, you use Karchers foam lance etc, thats what`s wrong
Deje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 01:17 PM   #3
Zolasbackheel
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

The Karcher foam lance is pretty poor IMO. I would pick up a proper lance from one of the forum sponsors and you will find you get a thicker layer of foam and use less product.
Zolasbackheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 01:48 PM   #4
Woodsmoke
Sponge Jockey

I use a karcher Foam lance as i was on a budget and though the foam isn't super thick, i use auto Finesse avalanche foam fill to the bottom line, top up with water. It does 2 medium size cars with an ok level of foam that does the job of getting the base muck off..
Woodsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 10:10 PM   #5
olliewills
Washmitt Meister

Garage
The karcher foam lance isn't the best as others have said, but by the sounds of it, is probably not the root cause of your issues. The karcher car cleaning liquid however is a bit pointless in my experience.

You'd probably do better with a proper brand of snow foam and also leave the PW on high pressure. Also make sure the foam lance is set to maximum. Something like AutoFinesse avalanche would probably get you better results like that. If you're after that truly thick, shaving-foam foam then you probably would need a better lance.

If however you care more about cleaning power and less about fluffy foam then Bilt Hamber auto-foam will work perfectly well with your current lance. It doesn't foam up like most other foams but it's cleaning power is second to none, you can watch the dirt just run off the car. It works just as well through a pump sprayer, budget karcher lance or even a top brand autobrite lance.
olliewills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2018, 03:39 PM   #6
J444FOG
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olliewills View Post
The karcher foam lance isn't the best as others have said, but by the sounds of it, is probably not the root cause of your issues. The karcher car cleaning liquid however is a bit pointless in my experience.

You'd probably do better with a proper brand of snow foam and also leave the PW on high pressure. Also make sure the foam lance is set to maximum. Something like AutoFinesse avalanche would probably get you better results like that. If you're after that truly thick, shaving-foam foam then you probably would need a better lance.

If however you care more about cleaning power and less about fluffy foam then Bilt Hamber auto-foam will work perfectly well with your current lance. It doesn't foam up like most other foams but it's cleaning power is second to none, you can watch the dirt just run off the car. It works just as well through a pump sprayer, budget karcher lance or even a top brand autobrite lance.
Thanks for the replys everyone. I've got some of the autoglym snow foam that I bought at the same time, intending to use it once the karcher liquid was gone (seems like that happened sooner than expected!). How would that rate against the karcher liquid?
I agree Ollie, shaving foam isn't necessarily what I'm looking for, but good cleaning performance and reasonable economy from whatever product.
The karcher liquid was the equivalent of around £8.50 a wash!
Any recommendations on a good snow foam lance compatible with the karcher, suitable for an amateur newbie like myself?

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
J444FOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2018, 03:51 PM   #7
percymon

Garage
Snow foams will have individual guidance on the concentration at point of application, so you'll need to set your bottle dilution to factor in the added water from the through flow of the lance. So you may well make up a 25 chemical : 75 water mix int he bottle that actually achieves more like 5 chemical : 95 water as its hits the car.

There are a few threads which explain how to calculate / measure this with your own set up.
percymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 08:11 PM   #8
cobra
Orbital Oracle

I've got the karcher snow foam lance (with a k4) and get great foam (using with AG polar blast). I don't think the lance is any worse than other snow foam lances I've used. Not used the karcher foam though

Last edited by cobra; 19-03-2018 at 08:25 PM.
cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 08:17 PM   #9
packard

K4 owner, it came with the genuine snow foam - absolute tosh.. add a new snow from a lance from Auto brite simply fantastic...
packard is offline   Reply With Quote