Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Tools -Machine polishers, Pressure Washers, Detailing Equipment & Microfiber
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tools -Machine polishers, Pressure Washers, Detailing Equipment & Microfiber Sponsored by Detailed Clean : www.DetailedClean.co.uk – | Bilt Hamber | Dodo Juice | Nanolex | Sonus | Wolfs Chemicals + More | Loyalty Scheme Discounts |

Old 09-03-2018, 08:34 PM   #11
leeandfay
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Im not offended by the price but the 3-4 day thing is not necessary imo but each his own.

leeandfay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 08:35 PM   #12
Chris.91
Sponge Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summit Detailing View Post
They obviously like their coffee breaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingswood View Post
100% try yourself. worse case you have to pay for a pro to do it and you sell the das pro and bits, youd lose a ton tops.

best case, enjoy it, satisfaction youve done it yourself and can do it again and again on your new cars etc
True! I think the satisfaction is the most appealing.

No doubt the successor to the Civic will be swirled up too. Don't want to have to fork out another few hundred quid to have it corrected!
Chris.91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 08:38 PM   #13
AndyN01

Hi,

We're back to one of my pet topics - a quite old car with soft paint and swirls/scratches.

The big question is how much clearcoat have you got left to play with?

I'm a fan of Scholl but for this I'd go with Glare.

Glare is rather like a glaze - it doesn't remove clearcoat, it bonds with it.

A search on here will bring up plenty of info but here's some work I did on my neighbour's Passat last year (yes, I know VW's tend to have hard paint but I'm sure you'll get the idea).

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...t=glare&page=2

And a recent thread:

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=401592

It's still available from savvyfox (member here) on ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Glare-swi...UAAOSw9y1anlPA

Good Luck.

Andy.
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AndyN01 For This Useful Post:
Chris.91 (09-03-2018), savvyfox (11-04-2018)
Old 09-03-2018, 08:55 PM   #14
Chris.91
Sponge Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN01 View Post
Hi,

We're back to one of my pet topics - a quite old car with soft paint and swirls/scratches.

The big question is how much clearcoat have you got left to play with?

I'm a fan of Scholl but for this I'd go with Glare.

Glare is rather like a glaze - it doesn't remove clearcoat, it bonds with it.

A search on here will bring up plenty of info but here's some work I did on my neighbour's Passat last year (yes, I know VW's tend to have hard paint but I'm sure you'll get the idea).

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...t=glare&page=2

And a recent thread:

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=401592

It's still available from savvyfox (member here) on ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Glare-swi...UAAOSw9y1anlPA

Good Luck.

Andy.
Interesting! Will have a read, appreciate the links Andy.

The car only has one previous owner (who I can still get in touch with) I'll try and find out if it's ever been machined before, but based on the swirls I imagine it hasn't!
Old 09-03-2018, 09:18 PM   #15
stangalang
king of the flexonian

Thanked 10,610 Times in 4,934 Posts
Garage
Take away the fact I am a pro, you are absolutely better getting it done. It really bugs me people think watching videos has anything to do with being able to do it. I could watch videos on drawing all day, I cant do it. And to simply get better I would need more than paint and paper, I would need to invest a crazy amount of time, and still fall short.

To get a finish you will be satisfied with you will need all the equipment, couple of hundred quid, lighting at maybe £50, a ptg would be another £150ish, and then lots of time to practice on other peoples cars. On top of that you want to apply a coating with UV inhibitors ideally OR keep reapplying a wax with UV inhibitors. I truly think when you have all of the gear to finish the car, you will be at about the same monetary figure and a ton of time down the hole.

Give the same amount of money to a pro, the job is done to a higher standard, in less time, its their issue if the paint is damaged, and all you have to do is enjoy the results

The price you mentioned is about right. I don't know what area you are in, and that plays a big factor, but 2 stages (with some isolated work) on paint only and coating is not a quick job. If you can get it around that mark thats good money. I would expect more like £650 to £750 including coating.

Unless you think its something you could really enjoy and are going to take the time initially and do a more cars afterwards, its a big outlay in time and money. You "could" sell all of the stuff afterwards of course and recoup some of the money spent , don't forget ewe have the same section in here too. So that is one thing
stangalang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stangalang For This Useful Post:
-rob- (17-03-2018), Chris.91 (10-03-2018), detailR (12-03-2018), Summit Detailing (09-03-2018)
Old 09-03-2018, 09:27 PM   #16
kingswood
Orbital Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangalang View Post
Take away the fact I am a pro, you are absolutely better getting it done. It really bugs me people think watching videos has anything to do with being able to do it. I could watch videos on drawing all day, I cant do it. And to simply get better I would need more than paint and paper, I would need to invest a crazy amount of time, and still fall short.

To get a finish you will be satisfied with you will need all the equipment, couple of hundred quid, lighting at maybe £50, a ptg would be another £150ish, and then lots of time to practice on other peoples cars. On top of that you want to apply a coating with UV inhibitors ideally OR keep https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news...8881reapplying a wax with UV inhibitors. I truly think when you have all of the gear to finish the car, you will be at about the same monetary figure and a ton of time down the hole.

Give the same amount of money to a pro, the job is done to a higher standard, in less time, its their issue if the paint is damaged, and all you have to do is enjoy the results

The price you mentioned is about right. I don't know what area you are in, and that plays a big factor, but 2 stages (with some isolated work) on paint only and coating is not a quick job. If you can get it around that mark thats good money. I would expect more like £650 to £750 including coating.

Unless you think its something you could really enjoy and are going to take the time initially and do a more cars afterwards, its a big outlay in time and money. You "could" sell all of the stuff afterwards of course and recoup some of the money spent , don't forget ewe have the same section in here too. So that is one thing
i dont think anyone on here could disagree, pro-detailing is a massive skill that takes time to perfect.

i think it depends on what you want from it and what your guna be using the car for.

mine a 10 yr old R32 i use as a daily. i dont mind spending a few hundred quid and get it looking about a 3/10 compared to what you could do but it wldnt be worth spening "750 to park it in the works car park!
kingswood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kingswood For This Useful Post:
Chris.91 (10-03-2018)
Old 09-03-2018, 09:33 PM   #17
stangalang
king of the flexonian

Thanked 10,610 Times in 4,934 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingswood View Post
i dont think anyone on here could disagree, pro-detailing is a massive skill that takes time to perfect.

i think it depends on what you want from it and what your guna be using the car for.

mine a 10 yr old R32 i use as a daily. i dont mind spending a few hundred quid and get it looking about a 3/10 compared to what you could do but it wldnt be worth spening "750 to park it in the works car park!
100% Im assuming that if the OP has asked around a few detailers and is wanting 2 stage enhancement then he probably is expecting an 8 out of 10 (ish)
Finishing a tricky paint out clean is not easy without the right lighting and conditions.
I will say there are 2 ways to do a "2 stage", you can literally run round the car twice and say its a 2 stage, or you can take the time to get the absolute best results from 2 separate stages and I think thats where the differences lie. Its maximising the results with the time put in
Everyone knows I'm an advocate for people having a go themselves. We have all been obsessed at one time or another. But when people want results NOW I do think its best to seek professional help
stangalang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to stangalang For This Useful Post:
-rob- (17-03-2018), Chris.91 (10-03-2018), kingswood (09-03-2018), leeandfay (10-03-2018), Summit Detailing (09-03-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 09:06 AM   #18
AndyN01

Absolutely agree that if someone wants a quality result quickly then the only way to go is a reputable, reliable, honest and competent professional - i.e someone on here .

If they fancy a go themselves then that's great. Common sense surely tells anyone that doing it yourself - particularly the first time - isn't going to get the quick, quality results that a good pro can deliver. Anyone who thinks that is living in the "everything is dumbed down" world and in for a few, wholly deserved, nasty surprises as far as I'm concerned.

However, many, including me, get enjoyment and satisfaction doing their thing knowing that it's not as perfect as it might be but, hey, I felt good doing it and am OK with the results. Next time will be a bit better .

Just my thoughts and each to their own.

All the best.

Andy.

PS A professional is simply someone who gets paid for doing something. It doesn't mean they are any good - cue numerous TV programs .
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AndyN01 For This Useful Post:
Chris.91 (10-03-2018), stonejedi (10-03-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 10:15 AM   #19
stonejedi

Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,147 Posts
I say jump in and try it yourself,DA polishers are quite easy to use if you have common sense,...I did not know much about detailing in the beginning but with asking questions and practising on a old car panel that I had,I achieved some very good results and its very satisfying knowing what you can achieve yourself,maybe I'm just from the school of thinking "Give a man a fish or teach a man to fish" if you get my drift.SJ.
stonejedi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stonejedi For This Useful Post:
Chris.91 (10-03-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 10:36 AM   #20
Chris.91
Sponge Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonejedi View Post
I say jump in and try it yourself,DA polishers are quite easy to use if you have common sense,...I did not know much about detailing in the beginning but with asking questions and practising on a old car panel that I had,I achieved some very good results and its very satisfying knowing what you can achieve yourself,maybe I'm just from the school of thinking "Give a man a fish or teach a man to fish" if you get my drift.SJ.
Spot on there, pal. It does seem like a lot of beginners can achieve satisfying results with the DA. Otherwise, they wouldn’t be so popular, of course.

Obviously, I’d love to have a mirror finish, who wouldn’t? But, I would be very very satisfied from just removing 80% of the swirls and making the scratches less obvious. I’d be over the moon.

Still not decided, but if I do go down the route of trying it myself, I think getting hold of a bonnet, or maybe a door due to size, and practicing on that first will be better. Preferably one in Milano Red.

And no doubt I will be on here asking questions if/when I do struggle, to get advice from DW... after all, that’s what it’s for.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris.91 For This Useful Post:
AndyN01 (10-03-2018), stonejedi (10-03-2018)