Detailing World Forum banner

E46 330ci - Individual

176K views 411 replies 59 participants last post by  JordanRaven 
#1 · (Edited)
Decided that I am going to make a thread, it's a project of some description. Being the only car I own (I'd love to have 2, but at 21 insurance costs make that impossible) it is never going to be perfect, but I can try to keep it to a decent standard :driver:

I bought the car back in June from a friend, knowing what work he'd carried out and knowing the owner he got it from. Both maintain cars to a higher than average standard, not meticulous (nor am i) but a few common issues had been addressed - rocker cover gasket, crankcase breather pipework, serviced with high standard parts etc.

The car is a facelift coupe in Carbon Black, M Sport package, M3 black Nappa leather installed (I bought it before I kad the car knowing I was going to buy it, but he paid me for the seats and we put them in as soon as they came) :D the seats are heated electric memory. Car also has sat nav with mk4 drive, Intravee with the disc changer and ipod both connected. There is a basic audio upgrade in there, 4 door speakers changed to jbl and 2 10" subs in the rear (although I think they may come out soon).

That's about it for background information I think :doublesho now for some pictures!
This is how the car arrived to me:

Love this little touch:
Illuminated Gear Knob Original by Jordan Mansfield, on Flickr
Subwoofers - Elemental Designs by Jordan Mansfield, on Flickr
Front Shot by Jordan Mansfield, on Flickr
Rear Quarter by Jordan Mansfield, on Flickr
Front Wing by Jordan Mansfield, on Flickr
M3 Seats by Jordan Mansfield, on Flickr

Didn't take long to start on the maintenance, the car sat for around 6 weeks before I bought it...

Started with the springs, one rear one snapped so I wanted to replace all of them due to age! Genuine springs were amazingly expensive, I like to keep things in good order and didn't really want to lower it, but with the price of the eibach springs being less than 2 rears I went ahead with them and I actually really liked the result!
Eibach Springs in Box by Jordan Mansfield, on Flickr

My mate's awesome compressor made the task nice and simple!
Spring in Compressor by Jordan Mansfield, on Flickr

This was the result:
Eibach on Strut by Jordan Mansfield, on Flickr
Lowered Car by Jordan Mansfield, on Flickr

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Next was the brakes, didn't seem to be anything wrong with them, however there was no receipt for them being changed! Obviously at least the pads had been changed as they had a chunk of life left, but easy and cheap enough to replace.

Ignore the eicher box, that came out of the boot of my mates car because it had some tools in!
Brake Change 1 by Jordan Mansfield, on Flickr
Brake Disc Change 1 by Jordan Mansfield, on Flickr

I know it's all dirty, but maintenance first and all that!

Next was another common issue, leaking power steering reservoir cap! New seal and change of fluid (turkey baster method)

Old fluid:
Old Power Steering Fluid by Jordan Mansfield, on Flickr

Old seal:
Old Power Steering Seal by Jordan Mansfield, on Flickr

#7 ·
Nice car, looks well looked after!!

How come its a individual??? I thought that individual BMW's usually have a paint colour or interior colour that is different from the standard car!! I thought Carbon Black was a option for the E46!!

Been reading up on the BMW individual choices, would love to order a new BMW in Techno Violet!!

#9 ·
I think carbon black made it an individual, it came with the individual kick plates when it was bought approved used from the second owner that I know?

I try to maintain it as best as I can! I try to avoid looking at new bmw options, it makes me sad! Although the 46 is fun :D

#8 · (Edited)
Next common issue, intake boot!

The tape was after the problem was located and awaiting delivery of the new part:
Taped Intake Boot by Jordan Mansfield, on Flickr

Starting to come apart:
Intake Strip Down 1 by Jordan Mansfield, on Flickr

Everything off, including DISA valve for a clean up inside!
Intake Stripped down 1 by Jordan Mansfield, on Flickr

Resulting in a much better idle!

Then these arrived! Genuine style 101s 3 years old, freshly refurbed, with decent tread potenzas bar 1 which was replaced with similar tread depth potenza :)
Style 101 Arrived by Jordan Mansfield, on Flickr

Getting the C5 treatment, mum was surprised to say the least when her living room was full with wheels :lol:
Style 101s C5 Treatment by Jordan Mansfield, on Flickr

On the car:
Style 101 on the car by Jordan Mansfield, on Flickr

I think they date the car a little (like amber sections of light imo), however I really, really like the look of them so they stay!

Cleaning the tyre prior to dressing:
Style 101 Tyre Cleaning by Jordan Mansfield, on Flickr

Next was LED number plate lights, again I think halogen dates the car so they were replaced with complete units:
LED Number Plate Comparison by Jordan Mansfield, on Flickr

They're not that bright, you can read the plate, poor camera on the phone I suppose!
LED Number Plate Lights by Jordan Mansfield, on Flickr

New genuine caps arrived from Germany to complete the look!

101 Centre Caps by Jordan Mansfield, on Flickr

#137 ·
Next common issue, intake boot!

Next was LED number plate lights, again I think halogen dates the car so they were replaced with complete units:

They're not that bright, you can read the plate, poor camera on the phone I suppose!

Car is looking great and nice to see it being bought back to life, quick question have. you a link to the reg plate lights that you used please as I have tried three sets on my M5 and they all seem to be too bright or too dark.

#10 · (Edited)
Now out with the centre console because it was scratched and the old roller shutter fitment thing had broken and worn!
Centre Console removed by Jordan Mansfield, on Flickr

I had a hoover up whilst I had the chance!

Out with the old!
Old Centre Console Removed by Jordan Mansfield, on Flickr

In with the new
New Console In by Jordan Mansfield, on Flickr

I got myself some pressed plates, they're still awaiting fitting as I wanted to see out the winter on the old plates that started delamination after 2 weeks :censored:
Pressed Plates Bought by Jordan Mansfield, on Flickr

This vile looking thing was letting the side down!
Old Steering Wheel by Jordan Mansfield, on Flickr

Off it came!
Steering Wheel Removed by Jordan Mansfield, on Flickr

On with the new :D
New Steering Wheel by Jordan Mansfield, on Flickr

Much better!

Checked for rust behind the plinth, it was fine, just needs a clean!
Boot Plinth Clean by Jordan Mansfield, on Flickr

General cleaning!
Rear Light Dirty by Jordan Mansfield, on Flickr
Rear Light Dirty 2 by Jordan Mansfield, on Flickr

#11 ·
My service was due, decided to get bmw to carry out inspection 1, big mistake, all being sorted now!

I had to change air filter and spark plugs:

18 months and sub 10k miles, think I am running rich!

Now to start on the oil leak from filter housing bmw found!

Properly minging, now whilst doing this job I replaced the filter housing gasket, radiator, expansion tank, expansion tank cap, both drive belts and the water pump! I had a coolant leak that bmw magically managed not to see and as a precaution I changed the main potential culprits! I have solved the leak, I believe it was the rad!

How bmw missed this, I do not know! Funnily enough neither did the service manager when I questioned him!

#14 ·
Yesterday was a fun day, I and my mate/mechanic replaced the trailing arm bushes as they had "worn considerably" according to bmw! Had a right laugh getting them out, only to see that they were fine! Oh well uprated parts in there now!

The front wishbone rear bushes needed replacing surprise surprise! Meyle HD to the rescue! They were amazingly easy to change! Also replaced 2 of the pulleys that were making a slight noise!

Now, in terms of maintenance I had also had 4 whell alignment done, obviously that needs to be done again now due to the work carried out!

In the very near future both the transmission oil and diff oil will get replaced, as well as the afore mentioned vanos seals! Then it will be regular oil changes etc and staying on top of anything that starts to arise! Oh by the way, if you didn't know (I didn't and requested the document to prove it) bmw now recommend shell 0w30 LL04 instead of castrol edge 5w30 LL01!

For looks, I will be machining the car when it warms up, I have just ordered the crystal serum light to protect it afterwards and am yet to decide what to add for repllency!

I will also have the interior trims dipped in Carbon and lacquered high gloss, I know it's contested but I like the look! I am also thinking about light window tints :)

I need to find the source of wind noise in the cabin, thinking about getting a smoke machine to see where it escapes! I am thinking the sagging door seals, which need repairing as £250 per side is a but much! I also want to replace the gaiters, probably with alcantara, but unsure as I don't like the leather effect type thing it has from factory!

I will also replace all of the exterior badges, and a few other bits along the way, I want to paint the calipers blue but I will take a long time to decide the type of blue!

#19 ·
Yeah, it's got the ability to make me smile! Although it does seem slow at times, but then it seems quick in others!
No, it was a name of a car colour from when I joined a different forum and tried to keep them the same, although I spelt Jordan wrong :wall: great attention to detail by myself :lol:

#20 ·
Discovered a knock this morning, BMW picked it up to sort out the issues I had with them and said it was the drop links... Went and bought front and rear lemforder links after work!

Going to order arb mount bushes too and change them all together, hopefully the car feels a bit tighter! :D

My crystal serum light arrived today, I think I will get the rear arches painted soon, then machine and then apply the serum. I haven't decided on what to top it with yet...

I also noticed that the front arch liner has been scraped against something and has worn away at the plastic. I shall buy a new one as they're cheap, I may even buy a new set of arch liners as a little project to do when it warms up!

#21 ·
My body inspection said that there is slight bubbling on the offside rear arch, that settles is! Went to a reputable bodyshop earlier for a quote for both arches back to bare metal, painted and then the arch seal being reapplied and to get the rear bumper painted as it has 2 slight marks so might as well get it all done together.

They quoted approximately £700-£800 for the work. They were busy and I wanted a ball park figure so I didn't get a written quote. Now to look around for good shops and get some prices done! Oh the joys!

#26 ·
Update

It has been a long time since I updated this thread, a lot has happened so I will try to include all of it in this post!

I performed a suspension overhaul, this included: front and rear drop links, front and rear anti roll bar bushes (powerflex) and front and rear shocks and top mounts. I have lost a lot of pictures I have taken over the months so I now only have these:

Waiting for it to settle again...

I then drove nearly 150 mile round trip to Munich Legends to have a thorough check of the car to ensure everything was good. They picked up a weep from the sump gasket, front brake hoses needed replacement, rear abs rings need changing and they did say drive shats may need changing if the rust is too bad (the rings have been changed and drive shafts were caught early so are fine).

I decided I wanted to have a transmission refresh too, so I ordered: gearbox oil, Diff oil, transmission mounts and engine mounts, I also got the sump gasket and oil for the change.

I then done the brake hoses, simple enough, shocked they were this bad (on the side facing inside so didn't spot the deterioration)

These are a few of the parts previously mentioned thay I acquired, I didn't carry the work out myself as dropping the subframe whilst laying under it didn't appeal to me...

Then I requested the mechanic sent me some pictures of the work (he's a mate so it wasn't like I was being awkward customer from hell)

Sump all cleaned up

The lifetime oil BMW insist you don't change because it isn't necessary...

This was found, over £200 for a replacement so he cleaned it up and put some copper grease on it for me

I refreshed the BMW badges, only have the one photo:

Changed the side repeaters that had faded badly!

I was then sent this picture:

My friend had picked up my MV2s from my garage and was refurbishment centre bound!

Wheels were left to set for about 10 days, then it was time protection:

Wheels all done with new centre caps and M Sport stickers, which were also coated with some Crystal Serum Light.

Wheels were put into the car to go and have the tyres from current wheels swapped onto them and fitted (tyres are almost new pilot sport 4s) one had a puncture when I got here so it was replaced...

Wheels were fitted and also had the windows tinted.

Finally got the rear arches painted, the picture was pre flat and Polish hence the huge amount of peel! still peel is better than rust!

This F10 M5 knob arrived from germany, so I went from this (new gaiter, same style for handbrake one too)

To this:

It feels much nicer to use, weighted and the band at the bottom looks much nicer to me.

That puts the post pretty much up to date for now!

I have parts ordered and plans for the very near future so I will update accordingly!

#33 ·
Wow this is some thread mate, will be a brand new car once your finished, I loved my e46, was a younger brother being the 320i but loved it, boot being too small low mpg doing high miles forced me to change, would have another in a heartbeat

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

#35 ·
Wow this is some thread mate, will be a brand new car once your finished, I loved my e46, was a younger brother being the 320i but loved it, boot being too small low mpg doing high miles forced me to change, would have another in a heartbeat

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
It certainly seems to be the case! Fortunately my commute is 50 miles per week and I rarely have any luggage for the boot :) it's here to stay so might as well make it as it should be!

#36 ·
A few bits arrived today, I've moved onto the interior as I am happy with the exterior minus the desire for wet sand...

E90 handbrake with perforated leather, to match the interior changes a bit better:

New badge for the steering wheel, just covers the old one so no fettling with the airbag!

Some amber led bulbs for the footwell lights, again to match interior better. As they're only illuminated briefly I'm happy with led as they won't affect the lighting inside whilst driving ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.