Detailing World Forum banner

1980 SAAB 99 Turbo 2 door refurb

166K views 299 replies 69 participants last post by  Naranto 
#1 · (Edited)
Well it has been 30 years now since I purchased the 99T and the old girl continues to make me smile.

Though I have looked after her bodily, mechanically she has been cared for by Martin at www.jamsaab.co.uk, and though the mechanicals are still strong bodily she is beginning to show her age. A bit of rust is beginning to appear and she has a few dings and dents on the body. So I have a plan.......

I have spoken to Martin at Jamsaab and we agreed that if the job is to be done, it should be done properly. So the 99T will be:
• Stripped of all components
• All mechanical parts that need replacing will be done
• Those items originally painted will be powder coated or enamel painted.
• New bushes and fixings will also be done

Whilst the body is striped it will be completely repaired and repainted (spray shop yet to be decided) and any external items either replaced or refurbished.

There is no firm timescale to this but we hope to have the car completed by spring/summer of next year.

Stay tuned.

So, to start this off, here she is at present:

Engine:

Interior:

I was over at JamSAAB and we thought it might be helpful to show a step by step on how he is tackling the rusty areas on my 99T.

The first step is to check over the car, expose the corroded area which are thoroughly cleaned and rust treat.

Any areas where the rust has corroded the metal is cut out and will be replaced with new metal.

Next stage is to make a cardboard template as a guide for the new metal.

The termplate is then used to transfer the profile to new steel.

The steel is then cut to shape (allow an extra 5mm on all edges for final trimming)

The flat steel is then worked and shaped over dolly mounted in vice.

The final shaping of steel piece is carried out on beating block.

Repeated checking of the made up section against the area to be replaced.

Once you are sure profile is correct, then final trimming to size can be carried out.

Some of the finished sections after sand blasting and etch priming, ready to be welded in place.

A mixture of TIG and MIG welding will be used. Replaced sections will be BUTT welded,where possible on both sides.
If multiple sections are replaced as in the last photo then these sections will also require PLUG welding.

See less See more
#11 · (Edited)
Cheers fellas.
Here is the latest update I received from JAmSAAB who are carrying out the work.

DOOR REPAIRS
The doors were removed and assessed for rust, the drivers door required a total of four repairs while the passenger door requiring only three.
As usual repairs were required to the inside lower edge and the corresponding outside bottom edge.

#12 · (Edited)
Whilst Jamsaab have been busy doing the important stuff I have continued tinkering in my garage..........

I did try a 'chrome' spray from Halfords to try and get a shine but to be honest it was a waste of money - it looks like an ordinary matt silver finish. So I have removed the paint, sanded the strips and polished it back to a shine.

Complete grille cleaned, resprayed (very fiddly masking required) and original SAAB badge replaced with a better quality version.

Different quality of SAAB badge? A close up of the alternative badge - it has a better finish and is in a heavier material.

Headlamps before and after cleaning. These were galvanised by Jamsaab ten years ago, when the engine bay was detailed. It is a credit to their standard of work that along with the engine bay, they have stood the test of time so only really needed a good clean and glass lens polished. The 'before' headlamp lens has a stonechip crack so will be replaced.

#18 ·
Steve

That's a difficult question. I always enjoy driving it and this will never change but at the same time I woudl like it to be as good as possible.
It will never be trailerd to events, but it would be nice to get it as close to concourse as possible and I know that JamSAAB will do a first class job - they are as anal as I am when it comes to the small details, so I have total confidence in their work. The engne bay was done by JamSAAB some ten years ago and still looks excellent - more down to the standard of finish rather than my attempts to keep it that way. :thumb:

#19 ·
These older saabs still look good imo. Its nice to see a car being worked on instead of binned off because its old or has a little bit of rust so well in with getting it refurbed!

Would love to do something similar with my 2002 E46 in a few years time but I dont have a local indie who could do the work and not charge an arm and a leg.

#20 · (Edited)
Rear bumper

Thirty plus years was beginning to show on the fixing plates.

So I decided to take it apart and give it a clean. Here are the rubber and plastic components that make up the bumper.

And here are the metal components

Bumper fixing plates and brackets, before and after

Cleaned, painted and refitted

New trim insert (6mm), though the profile is not identical, they slide straight in.

99T bumper inserts have small fixing clips at the each end. They usually go missing but fortunately mine were still there, they were
however in poor condition, so I looked around for something with the same profile. The edge of the butter lid was ideal :shock: .
So using some chrome 3M self adhesive and superglue I made up replacements.

and when fitted they looked the part.

#21 ·
To answer a few enquiries.

A little bit of background on the SAAB 99 Turbo 2 door.
Manufactured only in 1980.
Only 900 produced worldwide to comply with WRC rules, making it a very rare car. Rallied a few times with the original Stig at the wheel.
600 imported in to the UK - 400 in red, 200 in black.
It is guestimated that a few as 25-30 original 2 doors still exist

#23 · (Edited)
Difficult one as though they produced around 10,000 3 door 99 turbos, few of these survive. I would guess around 1/4 to a 1/3 are 2 doors and the rest 3 doors, with one or two 5 doors.

As for Photobucket bandwidth, I/we didn't expect that level of interest.

Having spoken to Martin at Jamsaab we will be moving the photos, in the next few days, to a dedicated section on his new website.
http://www.jamsaab.co.uk

#26 · (Edited)
Drivers seat cleaned.

Using a bath brush and 1001 carpet cleaner certainly removed any signs of grime on the velour facings. Same done to the passenger and rear seats, which will all be wrapped up and stored ready for refitting, when they will be vacuumed.

Using a bowl, small amount of cleaner and an old bath brush I started by cleaning half the seat

Half the seat completed

Finished and left to dry.

Red velour..... hhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :argie: :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.