Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 19-03-2014, 11:35 PM   #1
jas_racing
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Mk1 Fiat Uno Turbo Restoration/Rebuild

Evening All

There seems to be a lack of Fiat stuff in this section so I thought I'd add my project.

I bought the 'car' via eBay in April 2012 - advertised as a "fully restored bodyshell with parts to reassemble". After investigating it appears the chap had bought it in 1996 as a running car but it had issues, namely electrical, engine, gearbox and rust (so pretty much everything then!). He stripped it in 1997, the body was restored by a local classic car restoration place and completed in 2000, but then was returned to the owner and stored for 12 years or so without anything being done to it until I came along. The owner had bought a HEAP of new OE parts (new front bumper, seat covers, rear brake calipers, engine bay heat shield, front fogs, decal kit, dozens of clips, connectors and fasteners to name but a few). The bodyshell had a new bonnet, both doors, front panel, inner wings, chassis legs, sills, floors, inner & outer rear arches and rear-panel. It was then treated to an inside-and-out paint job.

As I bought it:

In-situ on my drive:

Inside:

Engine bay:

Initially I spent my spare time & free weekends building a car port to put her under but then expected to be able to crack on putting her back together. However, despite me thinking otherwise when I had a poke around under the rear of the car it turned out that this "fully restored" bodyshell had a fair bit of surface rust. Upon further investigation it seems that the rear end was still sporting the original factory-applied underseal and the restoration place had done (seemingly) nothing to strip or reapply it. I therefore spent many, many hours lying on my back scraping and brushing all effected areas. I was concerned at first that some of it would need welding but despite getting into literally every nook & cranny there was nothing more than surface rust, with nothing perforated or rusted through. I therefore took all effected areas back to bare metal then treated with POR-15 (clean/prep/paint) then topped off with 2 coats of waxoyl.

During:

After:
jas_racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2014, 11:37 PM   #2
jas_racing
Washmitt Meister

Garage
The jacking points needed treating too:

Floors are totally solid otherwise (it seems that the old jacking points were welded to the new floors and cover in underseal without any pre-treatment).

The inside of the (new) front wings that had just started bubbling up:

These were treated & POR-15'd...never figured why bodyshops seem to miss such detail when painting a car? The thin black coating that comes on new panels has virtually zero corrosion resistance yet most bodyshops seem to paint only the outside :?: Even areas of minor corrosion bother me greatly so I figured it was best to spend as much time as was needed getting everything 100%. Whilst sorting the rear floor and chassis rails I filled every cavity, the sills, front chassis rails, inside the rear arches, etc, with 2 coats of Dinitrol. This car won't ever be used in the rain but just in case I want to be sure it's well protected, even if it took me several months to achieve!

Rear arches looking good: (note that the car is sitting on a home-made trolley at this point)

FINALLY I got on to actually bolting something back on the car - (new) rear top strut mounts:

Plan of attack was to refit the rear suspension and rear beam. I bought a full set of new -40mm lower dampers & springs:

Old vs. new:

However, I wasn't happy with the dampers being yellow so rubbed them down & painted them a more 'tasteful' satin black:

Rear springs with refurbed caps/rubber mounts:

Rear beam had already been powder-coated by the previous owner so it was just a matter of assembling with new bushes & refurbed brackets:
The Following User Says Thank You to jas_racing For This Useful Post:
Flakey (20-03-2014)
Old 19-03-2014, 11:38 PM   #3
jas_racing
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Mounting to car:

Original bump stops fitted within new springs:

Dampers attached:

New hubs/bearings:

Temporary steel wheels fitted:

Back on terra-firma on two wheels at long last:

Moving to the front I bought new wishbones & anti-roll bar mounts but wasn't happy with their lack of corrosion protection so rubbed them down & painted them with numerous coats of aerosol Hammerite:

With rubbed down & POR-15'd brackets:
Flakey (20-03-2014)
Old 19-03-2014, 11:39 PM   #4
jas_racing
Washmitt Meister

Garage
New front dampers painted satin black:

Top mounts needed a bit of work:

New OE bearings added:

Assembled & ready to fit:

Front hubs looked pretty rough to start with but actually turned out very nicely:

Cleaned up & rubbed down:

Ready for POR-15ing:

Painted: (I added 2 coats of aerosol Hammerite after this)

New SKF bearings fitted:

Front inner hubs/flanges needed tarting up:

New front subframe has been powder-coated:

Assembly off-car:

Stripped & re-painted ARB added:

Bolting whole lot to car:

Flakey (20-03-2014)
Old 19-03-2014, 11:40 PM   #5
jas_racing
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Adding hub & damper:

Wheel on:

Other side:

Back down on 4 wheels:

I've also refurbed the brake compensator valve housing (brand new valve):

All fasteners are stainless and in some cases custom-made/special order in high-tensile stainless where needed 8)
Flakey (20-03-2014)
Old 19-03-2014, 11:42 PM   #6
jas_racing
Washmitt Meister

Garage
I stumbled across an issue in terms of the rear hubs/wheel bearings - in the pile of parts that came with the car were a brand spanker pair in their boxes so I assumed they were the right ones but upon trial fitting the caliper brackets I quickly realised they weren't. *It seems that the previous owner fell into the trap of being told that all Uno's use the same ones when they don't. *After a scout around the 'net I found that only First Line list the turbo ones as a different part from all other Uno's and 68mm deep not 62mm. *Thankfully I found some of the right ones for a mere £14 each online.

A quick rub-down, mask and ready for spraying (being bare metal there's no way they were going on as-is):

Done: (in silver Hammerite)

Some brackets I rubbed down, rust treated & POR-15'd a couple of weekend's ago:

Fuel pump cradle is coming along - started off looking pretty grotty:

Had to use an angle grinder with a 1mm thick cutting disc to get the old rubber mounts & weld-nuts off. Brackets were rubbed down, rust treated, POR-15'd then top-coated with Hammerite (aerosol):

Bought new rubber mounts, pump, pipe, primary filter, stainless fasteners and (of course) stainless jubilee clips:

Bracket assembled:

Pump & filter in-situ (still need to put a rubber strap around the fuel pump clamp):

Passenger side top strut mount/plate is looking much better after a bit of work:

New front brake shields came in the pile of parts with the car but again I wasn't happy with the lack of corrosion protection so they were rubbed down & painted with 4 coats of Hammerite black (aerosol):

I've also started on refurbishing the rear window hinges/latches: (metal parts will be painted satin black)

Bought new stainless screws to put them back together with and secure the triangular plate to the C-pillar but have painted the heads satin black so as not to stand out:
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jas_racing For This Useful Post:
d.berkay (08-06-2014), Envy Car Care (20-03-2014), Flakey (20-03-2014), G1lly (28-03-2014), Karl woods (20-03-2014), Roggti25th (31-10-2014), SBM (03-07-2014)
Old 19-03-2014, 11:44 PM   #7
jamie crookston
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Whoa! Subscribed. I loved these cars when I was younger. Excellent project lookin forward to seein this progress.
jamie crookston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2014, 11:54 PM   #8
Craighightower
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Fantastic project. Do you have the starfish type alloys. Subscribed
Craighightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2014, 11:54 PM   #9
Rabidracoon28
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,215 Posts
As above, going to follow this hard work with a lot of interest