Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > General Off Topic > Off Topic Chat
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2008, 09:37 PM   #41
Clark @ PB
DW Supporter

Thanked 5,195 Times in 1,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
what I cant understand you all say you are worried about the paint not getting marked and care about its condition, but are more than happy to let road salt etc which is heavily costic and far worse for not only your paint but also your car build up for possibly weeks on end just to wash it by hand at home on a nice day!!! go figure. I rather not het heavily alkaline substances bond to my paint work by going to a jet wash than let it etch into the clear.
what you are more concerned about is the car looking sweet now rather than the long term effects?

Personally I am very suprised/shocked at the pro's saying leave the car for as long as possible without washing it... personally I feel that that is very bad advice to give out to a customer when you are trying to convince them you know the best way to care for the paint and the expensive waxes you have just applied at great cost.. not getting at anybody..

I didnt say leave it for as long as you can. As long as the paint is well protected you'll be fine untill you get the chance to give it a proper clean yourself or at least give it a couple of foams or rinses to get the salt off. If you take it to one of the touchless wash places the chances are most of their foams will strip or greatly reduce the durability of the LSP, so i know what method works best for me and also the majority of our customers
Clark @ PB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clark @ PB For This Useful Post:
Ronnie (13-11-2008)
Old 13-11-2008, 09:15 PM   #42
nick_mcuk
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 3,179 Times in 2,069 Posts
Garage
Send a message via MSN to nick_mcuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wax-It View Post
I Know a placethat is a hot hand car wash 3 bays two bucket method, all new karcher machines, grit guards, mf's for drying off nice tyre sheen/gel to finish, all Autoglym products engish staff who are just as mad on cars and detailing. more recently had a 350 ferrari on maseratti 57 reg porsche to name a few

Like to op said be good to know of more of these places around the uk
Sounds like the Ass Volt hand car wash!!!

nick_mcuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2008, 07:50 AM   #43
Alex_225
Built-Not-Bought

Thanked 1,996 Times in 1,426 Posts
Garage
I personally wouldn't take my car to a hand car wash as I just wouldn't trust them to not mark the paint.

I used to take my 2nd car too a 'American Car Wash' which basically meant they jet wash and pre-wash your car, then stick it through a big machine.
The theory being that the machine stays free of the grit and other harmful stuff.

Wasn't the case though as now I know what a swirl mark is, I remember that car having quite a few of them but never know what caused that 'pretty web pattern'! lol

I'm sure there's a few places out there that wouldn't do your car the world of harm but I just do my best to make the time when I can.

Worse case is that I'll take the missus to that same car wash as they have a jet wash there thats really good. Just blast the majority of the crap off if I can wash it properly.
Alex_225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2008, 09:39 AM   #44
PaulN
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,263 Times in 1,064 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
Yes I know you all secretly use then and try and blame the dealers for swirling your paint work,
Never has a truer word been spoken... lol
PaulN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaulN For This Useful Post:
Ronnie (14-11-2008)
Old 14-11-2008, 09:45 AM   #45
powelly
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive 'n' shine View Post
Only if they know the area could be Ass Volt
I know who you mean. I live close by, drive past them on the way to the gym. Are they pretty good then???
powelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2008, 09:49 AM   #46
typefern
Orbital Oracle

I do not get this thread.

I haven't used a Tesco's jet wash in 4 years and thats the only thing I would use if I had too (without the brush).

BUT with a family of 3 kids and everything that goes with that and usually working 6 day week I find the time to keep both of my cars tidy (maybe not so much love for the C-Max but its never been through a car wash).

I wish I could think of a great analogy to some this up, but I'm off to wash my car.

Cheers John
typefern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2008, 09:57 AM   #47
Ronnie
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 2,988 Times in 1,429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by typefern View Post
I do not get this thread.

I haven't used a Tesco's jet wash in 4 years and thats the only thing I would use if I had too (without the brush).

BUT with a family of 3 kids and everything that goes with that and usually working 6 day week I find the time to keep both of my cars tidy (maybe not so much love for the C-Max but its never been through a car wash).

I wish I could think of a great analogy to some this up, but I'm off to wash my car.

Cheers John
True but personnally I need to wash my car during the day especially if I am leaving a muddy site goting to see a client or meeting a customer at their business/home.. so cant spend a few hours at home cleaning the car before. plus the last 6 months all my spare time is spent working on finishing the house. I have found several VERY good car washes what adopt the proper methods of car washing and use costic free soaps. they cost a wee bit more but are excellent. one has even posted his work up on here with great comments.

I just thought it would have been a good idea but it seems only one or two have actually grasped what I was trying to suggest.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2008, 10:01 AM   #48
typefern
Orbital Oracle

Sorry Ronnie

I didn't mean to sound too negative, its just my personnal opinoin and you know what there like. Goodluck with it and the house.

John
typefern is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to typefern For This Useful Post:
Ronnie (14-11-2008)
Old 14-11-2008, 10:04 AM   #49
Ronnie
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 2,988 Times in 1,429 Posts
no worries I just though it was a good idea to help members who had no choice sometimes but to have their car cleaned at a jet wash from time to time.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2008, 10:06 AM   #50
dominic84
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Quote:
Jon has the right Idea...
technically I think its not advertising as this is a quick wash and not a detail/valet. I could be wrong.

plus I get enough bramble marks not to worry about the odd swirl

S500 Im sure your boss would take a buckle in his eye if when he called you to collect him you replied sorry m8 I am cleaning the car and I will be at least 8 hours can u get a taxi? lol
I agree I live in Devon and there are a lot of country lanes so picking up bramble/bush/hedge marks is unavoidable - I wonder how many people really manage to maintain immaculate paintwork under 'normal' everyday driving conditions.

I also think you're right to keep your car clean because as you say people will notice straight away if it's dirty or clean whereas who will think "oh no I'm not buying from this man because I've just checked his paint with a sun gun and he's a drive thru user"

But seriously there should be more touchless washes - I saw one on 'The Garage" on TV and it was a like a robotic jet wash IIRC - pretty fancy.

Last edited by dominic84; 14-11-2008 at 10:08 AM. Reason: sp3lling
dominic84 is offline   Reply With Quote