Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 08-06-2016, 10:26 AM   #1
Amos91
Sponge Jockey

Black Gold Clio 182 - Amos91

Hi all-

Thought I'd share all the little bits and pieces I've done to my Clio 182.

Originally bought in 2012 looking like this after its first clean -

Here are some shots of the car after a clay, polish and wax:

One of the refurbed alloys:

And the exhaust before and after a quick polish:

On the way back home I noticed that the alignment seemed to be out and the brakes were soft and not as responsive as I would of hoped for. A quick trip to a hunter system allowed for a quick toe adjustment to sort that problem out. Took the car over to TDF, they bled the brakes but pointed me toward some knackered front discs.

Before and after of the discs:

Over the last year or so, I picked up with the detailing and working on a few niggles -

Next was another group of modifications & repairs...

First up was the washer pump, which was ridiculously weak and hardly cleaned the windscreen. Initially I went with the ECP pattern part often recommended, but once installed I found that the valve would stick on one direction. For instance pulling the stalk to clean the front would only clean the rear screen - this was somewhat intermittent and a replacement didn't fix it either. Therefore I went back to the original genuine one and pulled it apart -

Swollen valve -

Trimmed with a Stanley -

I perhaps took a little too much off the side but nonetheless this fixed the issue and the washers have been working at full power since.

Also purchased a slightly wider accelerator pedal from Sprayshack to help with the heel & toe -

And some MLR braided lines with new SuperGold fluid -

It was during this change I noticed that the drivers side outer pad was well worn compared to the passenger outer pad. From researching on here I found this was an unusual combination and if anything, the inners typically tend to wear faster.

After removing the pads the difference was obvious. Drivers side outer pad on the left, inner pad off the right -

The sliders were all fine but if anything the piston was a little stiffer than the passenger side to push back in. Thankfully a pretty good offer came up on the Bigg Red eBay page. A pair of calipers that had brand new seals, piston & nipple but had an issue with the electrolyte coating (one was pitted silver, the other gold). As a result this pair cost me £70 which is a good saving and didn't require me to strip or send the old ones off-

A quick lick of Hammerite paint fixed the mismatch -

And installed with new Brembo HC discs and pads -

Just after this was my birthday and I received some Halfords vouchers. After thinking about what to spend them on, I decided to go for some high temp paint and finally tackle bringing the engine bay up to standard.

A quick, but dusty black gold bonnet shot before I started!

Engine bay -

Inlet and gubbins removed -

Masked

Painted (also did the throttle body, fuel rail & upper mount cover):

Then a nice new coolant bottle, which really does freshen up the bay!

And finally I replaced the numberplate light. Originally when I looked at it I though the colour of it was still okay but its only when you get a new one that you realise the difference!

And finally after a quick clean -

More to come...
Amos91 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Amos91 For This Useful Post:
chris.t (20-06-2016), sshooie (08-06-2016), Tuddie (09-06-2016)
Old 08-06-2016, 10:30 AM   #2
Amos91
Sponge Jockey

A couple of extra changes -

Powerflex upper engine mount installed -

Then for the stained oil cap I ordered a replacement -

May look next at refreshing some the engine bay bolts etc.

And also spent the weekend sealing the wheels with Dlux -

Whilst I kept the alloy front faces tidy (never curbed) the rear was always neglected and it seems that some brake dust has etched into the clearcoat irreversibly.

Regardless of this, I tidied them up with ironx, tardis & clay bar. To be honest, it was good just to get rid of all the old tyre weight glue!

Jacked up -

Dirty unprotected wheels, including old glue -

Product of choice, plus tardis & claybar!

Iron-x doing its thing -

Result -

Then they were brought inside, prepped with eraser and a coating of Dlux applied (should give 1-2 years protection). They were left for 24 hours to cure before being put back on.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Amos91 For This Useful Post:
sshooie (08-06-2016), Tuddie (09-06-2016)
Old 08-06-2016, 10:33 AM   #3
JMorty
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to JMorty
Lovely! Really like it!!

Each of time one of these 'Clio 1x2 project' comes up on here it increases the % of WANT.

I'm currently say at 146%

Look forward to seeing this go through.
JMorty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JMorty For This Useful Post:
Amos91 (08-06-2016)
Old 08-06-2016, 10:33 AM   #4
Amos91
Sponge Jockey

And finally a little update over the last few months...

In chronological order, I was getting annoyed with the RS192 blowing at the cat join, even though it was modified and sleeved.

On closer inspection, it was found that the whole silencer face had cracked around the pipe causing additional blowing. Having spent considerable sums of money now on this stupid joint I went for the sod it, weld it all up option.

In the end, we opted to weld a new face on to the silencer, weld the join and add a reinforcement plate -

It was also noted at the time that the clutch was really heavy, I thought it was typically clio sport heavy, but it was apparently much stiffer than normal.

As a result, it had a new valeo clutch kit installed, where it was found the old release bearing had collapsed and was embedded partially in the clutch. Now it is really light and great to use!

Unfortunately with the recent spell of good weather I also noticed that the aircon was no longer working, the clutch seemed to engage but no 'click' sound when it starts operating. The garage found that the gas had escaped and it was no longer holding vacuum.

Cue my saturday morning having a look over the system and with a bit of luck I found the issue -

It was the pipe that goes from the condenser to the compressor, just below the alternator. No idea how this occurred but I've fitted a replacement pipe and after a regas everything is back to normal!

The day after this, the sun was out so thought it was time to bring the DA out for the first time in 2016. Decided on a quick Tripple fix with black hexlogic -

I always find it hard to capture, but the gold was popping nicely, a cup spoiler shot -

And that's it so far. Roll on more nice summer days!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Amos91 For This Useful Post:
chris.t (20-06-2016), magpieV6 (22-07-2016), sshooie (08-06-2016), Tuddie (09-06-2016), williamsclio1 (04-07-2016)
Old 08-06-2016, 10:39 AM   #5
danwel
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 2,412 Times in 2,023 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMorty View Post
Lovely! Really like it!!

Each of time one of these 'Clio 1x2 project' comes up on here it increases the % of WANT.

I'm currently say at 146%

Look forward to seeing this go through.
I am totally with you on this, i am in the market for a new car that is fun and not going to break the bank and although maybe a touch small the renaultsport clio does really fit the bill and i am getting more and more tempted to get one.
danwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 10:42 AM   #6
JMorty

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to JMorty
Quote:
Originally Posted by danwel View Post
I am totally with you on this, i am in the market for a new car that is fun and not going to break the bank and although maybe a touch small the renaultsport clio does really fit the bill and i am getting more and more tempted to get one.

I'm saving for one as we speak. lol
JMorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 10:44 AM   #7
Amos91
Sponge Jockey

I've always toyed with getting something different but struggle to find something as capable for the money (fuel, maintenance etc).

Probably have this for quite a while yet!
Old 08-06-2016, 10:55 AM   #8
danwel
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 2,412 Times in 2,023 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMorty View Post
I'm saving for one as we speak. lol
I am torn between the 172/182 or 192. I am in no rush to buy one as i have my sisters car possibly until easter next year unless something happens but there will come a time i will buy one. Will just keep my eyes open for a bargain until then
danwel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to danwel For This Useful Post:
Amos91 (09-06-2016)
Old 08-06-2016, 11:32 AM   #9
chris_m182
Sponge Jockey

Garage
Beautiful! I originally wanted a B/G 182 but ended up buying an Arctic Blue one 10 years ago! Traded it in 5 years ago for a Megane 250. I've had many cars since, including an E92 V8 M3, and the Clio was perhaps the most fun out of the lot.

I've always wanted to buy another one as a project but I've never had the time! I love seeing Renaultsport Clio threads on here
chris_m182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 07:48 PM   #10
ibiza55

Thanked 1,384 Times in 1,342 Posts
Garage
Lovely jubbly matey. French Pocket Rocket hard to beat.
ibiza55 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ibiza55 For This Useful Post:
Marc172cup (20-06-2016)