Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Lifestyle > The Motoring Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Motoring Zone Just bought a car? Need advice on a car? Want to chat about cars generally? Here is the place to do it.

Closed Thread

Old 13-06-2018, 02:33 PM   #21
petemattw
Orbital Oracle

Garage
Send a message via MSN to petemattw
you should be looking down the road enough to identify a change in speed witout it being a surprise.

Once you've identified a change in speed limit check your rear view mirrors. Lift off the gas allowing speed to bleed off naturally, maybe add a touch of break to bring the vehicle to the correct speed on entering the new limit area as you pass the sign. Back on with positive throttle to maintain appropriate speed. If you are struggling with this try and IAM or ROSPA advanced driving course.

My friends all want to know why I don't have points on my licence, it's beacuse I use a little trick called keeping within the limits of the law, this is supplemented by ensuring that when I drive I give it my focus, not just the minimum to get by. Driving down the A5 at legal limits on Sunday I passed loads of cars who tried to race me on the straights but couldn't maintain the speed in the bends. Practise and then practise more at being a good driver
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to petemattw For This Useful Post:
BareFacedGeek (13-06-2018), Naddy37 (13-06-2018), RandomlySet (13-06-2018)
Old 13-06-2018, 06:21 PM   #22
Mikesphotaes
Orbital Oracle

Garage
It probably is still called "Acceleration Sense", simply check mirrors and lift off the gas at the correct point and you will sail through the limit markers at the correct speed.

Mind you it takes a bit of practice!

Still laughing at the poster who thinks 60 to 30 limit is a money grabber!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mikesphotaes For This Useful Post:
BareFacedGeek (13-06-2018), Starbuck88 (13-06-2018)
Old 13-06-2018, 07:09 PM   #23
Mugwump
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikesphotaes View Post
Me too - I imagine we are probably both old enough to remember when 40 and 50mph zones were a bit of a rarity, and almost all restricted limit areas were directly from 60 down to 30 on entering what was at the time termed a 'built-up area'.

It also amused me somewhat that it was suggested that a car rear-ending the car in front which had suddenly slammed his brakes on could be blamed on the car in front - the law says it is always the fault of the driver behind. The vast majority of drivers don't seem to have even a rough appreciation of how long it takes to stop their car from any given speed.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mugwump For This Useful Post:
BareFacedGeek (13-06-2018), Mikesphotaes (13-06-2018), Starbuck88 (13-06-2018), trv8 (14-06-2018)
Old 13-06-2018, 08:15 PM   #24
kingswood
Orbital Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by petemattw View Post
you should be looking down the road enough to identify a change in speed witout it being a surprise.

Once you've identified a change in speed limit check your rear view mirrors. Lift off the gas allowing speed to bleed off naturally, maybe add a touch of break to bring the vehicle to the correct speed on entering the new limit area as you pass the sign. Back on with positive throttle to maintain appropriate speed. If you are struggling with this try and IAM or ROSPA advanced driving course.

My friends all want to know why I don't have points on my licence, it's beacuse I use a little trick called keeping within the limits of the law, this is supplemented by ensuring that when I drive I give it my focus, not just the minimum to get by. Driving down the A5 at legal limits on Sunday I passed loads of cars who tried to race me on the straights but couldn't maintain the speed in the bends. Practise and then practise more at being a good driver
bet ur a blast at a dinner party

rules are there to be broken, live alittle - you may enjoy it!
Old 13-06-2018, 08:23 PM   #25
Naddy37
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingswood View Post
bet ur a blast at a dinner party

rules are there to be broken, live alittle - you may enjoy it!
So just for a laugh you’d quite happily break a speed limit?

Speed limits are there for a reason.
Old 13-06-2018, 09:01 PM   #26
Darlofan
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikesphotaes View Post
It probably is still called "Acceleration Sense", simply check mirrors and lift off the gas at the correct point and you will sail through the limit markers at the correct speed.

Mind you it takes a bit of practice!

I think most people know speed cameras are there to raise money. There are numerous sites round N Wales where the van sits which have no need for it. The one I quoted in an earlier post has no reason for being there. There is a notorious accident spot where there have been several fatalities and even more severe accidents on the A483 by Wrexham on a bridge crossing the valley. Speed van is never there but sits about a mile further up the road where the single carriageway becomes dual up the hill. Clearly catching drivers who are overtaking on a safer part of the road where there's never an accident.

No points here btw.
Old 13-06-2018, 09:07 PM   #27
Mikesphotaes
Orbital Oracle

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlofan View Post
I think most people know speed cameras are there to raise money. There are numerous sites round N Wales where the van sits which have no need for it. The one I quoted in an earlier post has no reason for being there. There is a notorious accident spot where there have been several fatalities and even more severe accidents on the A483 by Wrexham on a bridge crossing the valley. Speed van is never there but sits about a mile further up the road where the single carriageway becomes dual up the hill. Clearly catching drivers who are overtaking on a safer part of the road where there's never an accident.

No points here btw.
Totally agree about the "Safety Cameras", my point was thinking 60 to 30 mph was absolutely anything to do with revenue!
The Following User Says Thank You to Mikesphotaes For This Useful Post:
Darlofan (13-06-2018)
Old 13-06-2018, 10:29 PM   #28
kingswood
Orbital Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naddy37 View Post
So just for a laugh you’d quite happily break a speed limit?

Speed limits are there for a reason.
i break them regulary. and its fun. and safe. speed doesnt kill, stupidity does.

speed limits are there for one reason, for people to stupid to judge the conditions.

cars have improved in all manners of saftey and stopping since the 70mph was introduced. granted peoples reactions times havnt changed much since we were been chased by dinosaurs but if 70mph was 'safe' in the 70's with all round drums and your face as the crumple zone then the limit needs re-looking at now.

for those speed limit lovers answer me one question and i'll do all the speed limits in the land:

'why do i have to do 20mph going past a primary school at 2am in the morning?'
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kingswood For This Useful Post:
Darlofan (13-06-2018), Mikesphotaes (14-06-2018), rob267 (13-06-2018), Starbuck88 (13-06-2018), TRN Ent (17-06-2018)
Old 13-06-2018, 10:54 PM   #29
RandomlySet
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 2,789 Times in 2,045 Posts
Garage
Quote:
i break them regulary. and its fun. and safe. speed doesnt kill, stupidity does.

speed limits are there for one reason, for people to stupid to judge the conditions.

cars have improved in all manners of saftey and stopping since the 70mph was introduced. granted peoples reactions times havnt changed much since we were been chased by dinosaurs but if 70mph was 'safe' in the 70's with all round drums and your face as the crumple zone then the limit needs re-looking at now.

for those speed limit lovers answer me one question and i'll do all the speed limits in the land:

As opposed to the other 2am?

(sorry, I couldn't resist )
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RandomlySet For This Useful Post:
kingswood (13-06-2018), pxr5 (14-06-2018)
Old 13-06-2018, 11:01 PM   #30
Darlofan
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Quote:

Next village to us has 20mph zone by the primary school. It closed over 2 years ago😂 Still 20 though!
The Following User Says Thank You to Darlofan For This Useful Post:
RandomlySet (13-06-2018)
Closed Thread