Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Lifestyle > The Motoring Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Motoring Zone Just bought a car? Need advice on a car? Want to chat about cars generally? Here is the place to do it.

Closed Thread

Old 14-06-2018, 12:24 AM   #31
Cookies
Distinguished Detailer + Dw Reviewer

Thanked 5,201 Times in 3,780 Posts
Garage
Itís easy to anticipate changes to limits in areas Iím familiar with. Itís also easy to become complacent and drift into the 30 at a higher speed. Cameras are absolute. Road policing tends to be less so, in appropriate circumstances, obviously.

While I agree with a lot of what has been said above, I think itís inappropriate speed that kills, whether thatís 90 on a B road, or 20 on a motorway, both are considerable hazards that cause issues for other road users. Everyone should think about other road users at all times when driving.

The number of people who donít indicate on roundabouts, for example, is just staggering, but thatís what happens when you replace good, old-fashioned policing with cameras.

Cheers,

Cooks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cookies For This Useful Post:
Nidge76 (14-06-2018), pxr5 (14-06-2018), RandomlySet (14-06-2018), Starbuck88 (14-06-2018)
Old 14-06-2018, 08:26 AM   #32
alan hanson
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,081 Times in 899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingswood View Post
i break them regulary. and its fun. and safe. speed doesnt kill, stupidity does.

speed limits are there for one reason, for people to stupid to judge the conditions.

cars have improved in all manners of saftey and stopping since the 70mph was introduced. granted peoples reactions times havnt changed much since we were been chased by dinosaurs but if 70mph was 'safe' in the 70's with all round drums and your face as the crumple zone then the limit needs re-looking at now.

for those speed limit lovers answer me one question and i'll do all the speed limits in the land:

'why do i have to do 20mph going past a primary school at 2am in the morning?'
Totally agree with this but, and its a huge but, if we raise the speed limits as i think they should be it just encourages the idiots who as you say can not engage brain and evaluate the conditions and judge what is safe just to go even faster and be more dangerous.

Pretty much like anything in life the possibilities are there for it to be better but we/some will only go and spoil it for everyone through selfishness.

i'd rather have more unmarked cars on the road pulling people for stupid/careless driving
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alan hanson For This Useful Post:
Cookies (14-06-2018), RandomlySet (14-06-2018)
Old 14-06-2018, 12:30 PM   #33
andy665

Thanked 3,669 Times in 2,039 Posts
Quote:
i break them regulary. and its fun. and safe. speed doesnt kill, stupidity does.

speed limits are there for one reason, for people to stupid to judge the conditions.

cars have improved in all manners of saftey and stopping since the 70mph was introduced. granted peoples reactions times havnt changed much since we were been chased by dinosaurs but if 70mph was 'safe' in the 70's with all round drums and your face as the crumple zone then the limit needs re-looking at now.

for those speed limit lovers answer me one question and i'll do all the speed limits in the land:

'why do i have to do 20mph going past a primary school at 2am in the morning?'
I personally find that view plain wrong. We live in a country that has a democratically elected government that makes laws - I am not arrogant enough to think that I can abide by some and ignore those that I think are wrong.

Based on your thinking I assume it would be ok for me to come around and slash your tyres if I don't believe the laws on criminal damage are fair or reasonable.

Perhaps if a friend or relative of yours was killed or injured by a driver "who knew better" then you might have a different point of view

I'm not saying that all speed limits are appropriate - far from it - but they are what they are

Last edited by andy665; 14-06-2018 at 12:32 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to andy665 For This Useful Post:
Caledoniandream (14-06-2018), Naddy37 (14-06-2018), pxr5 (14-06-2018)
Old 14-06-2018, 01:21 PM   #34
wish wash

I drive through a village which is a 20mph zone. When the zone ends and goes back to 30mph is where the primary school is. This makes no sense to me. The rules are the rules, people ignore them as people don't think they'll get caught and I think it's human nature not liking being told what to do.
Old 14-06-2018, 01:44 PM   #35
andy665

Quote:
Originally Posted by wish wash View Post
I drive through a village which is a 20mph zone. When the zone ends and goes back to 30mph is where the primary school is. This makes no sense to me. The rules are the rules, people ignore them as people don't think they'll get caught and I think it's human nature not liking being told what to do.
Id rather be told what do than have points on my licence or the injury / death of an innocent person on my conscience
Old 14-06-2018, 03:12 PM   #36
petemattw
Orbital Oracle

Garage
Send a message via MSN to petemattw
Quote:
bet ur a blast at a dinner party

rules are there to be broken, live alittle - you may enjoy it!
I break the rules when i've got the blue lights on! No need to risk my licence needlessly...

If I want to seriously play i'll take my toys to the track.
The Following User Says Thank You to petemattw For This Useful Post:
Naddy37 (14-06-2018)
Old 14-06-2018, 08:17 PM   #37
Caledoniandream

Quote:
bet ur a blast at a dinner party

rules are there to be broken, live alittle - you may enjoy it!
No, I am very boring at a dinner party, but alive.
Where do you draw the line, me nicking your car, because I like to live on the edge, and like to drive around in other peoples cars?
It breakes the rules, but heho lets live a bit.

Speedlimits are not only for your benefit / annoyance, there are other people on the road.
Unexperienced drivers, older drivers, vehicles that are substantial slower than your 24 valve smoker.
Farm vehicles pulling out of side roads / fields.
1000's of reasons for a speed limit, not always to be understood or seen at a glance, but mainly there is a good reason.
Living not far from the "Evo Triangle" seen soem horendous accidents, with people who think they can drive.
Every weekend when the weather is dry, the ambulances and air ambulances are several times out (A5, Horseshoe pass).
And while I agree it's not always the direct fault of the speeder, but you don't always expect to be overtaken by twice the speed limit when you are making a turn.
Yes I have been caught speeding, hold my hands up, but I don't see it as a moneymaker, I was wrong and broke the law.
Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.
Speed doesn't kill, but circumstances do, the speed only makes the different, no how they find you, but where they find you.

Ever seen a car hitting a truck at 100mph, the people where capitated, not a seight you easyy forget.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Caledoniandream For This Useful Post:
kingswood (14-06-2018), Naddy37 (14-06-2018), pxr5 (14-06-2018)
Old 14-06-2018, 10:12 PM   #38
Mugwump
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlofan View Post
I think most people know speed cameras are there to raise money.
If that were the case, why do drivers keep feeding them??? They raise money purely because dome drivers are plain stupid and seem to think speed limits are optional, and thus keep giving them the opportunity to part them from their hard-earned. Totally self-inflicted.

If everyone kept to the speed limits, they would generate no revenue at all.
Old 14-06-2018, 10:32 PM   #39
kingswood
Orbital Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by petemattw View Post
I break the rules when i've got the blue lights on! No need to risk my licence needlessly...

If I want to seriously play i'll take my toys to the track.
and how many ppl have been killed/injured by speeding emergency vechiles?

and your 'IAM or ROSPA' trained so please explain to me the 20mph past the school at 2am?! the answer is your an educated person and know there isnt any satisfactory answer.

ps - sorry for the bashing but saying you drive with blues is asking for it
Old 14-06-2018, 11:23 PM   #40
andy665

Quote:
please explain to me the 20mph past the school at 2am?! the answer is your an educated person and know there isnt any satisfactory answer.
The technology exists to have variable speed limits - are you prepared to pay for it?

I'd rather see my money spent on education, the NHS than to save 10-15 seconds by being to pass a school at a higher speed at 2am in the morning.

Last edited by andy665; 15-06-2018 at 08:05 AM.
Closed Thread