Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Lifestyle > The Motoring Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Motoring Zone Just bought a car? Need advice on a car? Want to chat about cars generally? Here is the place to do it.

Closed Thread

Old 16-06-2018, 09:16 PM   #51
Kerr
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 6,677 Times in 4,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingswood View Post
im sorry for their loss.

But youve hit the nail on the head - people should be concentrating on their driving and not the speedo, looking ahead for hazards, parked cars, children playing etc.
I don't understand why people find it so hard to maintain a speed and occasionally glance at the speedometer.

If that simple task causes them any kind of difficulty at all they simply shouldn't have a driving licence.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kerr For This Useful Post:
macca666 (17-06-2018)
Old 16-06-2018, 09:24 PM   #52
kingswood
Orbital Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerr View Post
I don't understand why people find it so hard to maintain a speed and occasionally glance at the speedometer.

If that simple task causes them any kind of difficulty at all they simply shouldn't have a driving licence.
personally i dont, but this forum has had many posts of people becoming obsessed with the speed limit instead of the quality of driving (50mph on motorways been common)

the increase of indiscrimate cameras when the only purpose seems to be revenue has impacted on peoples ability to drive - as ive said before speed isnt a killer but its easy to spot via cameras and raise money

what we need is more traffic police, using discretion - which is how they were trained - catching dangerous driving, something cameras cant do.
The Following User Says Thank You to kingswood For This Useful Post:
RandomlySet (18-06-2018)
Old 16-06-2018, 10:11 PM   #53
Kerr
Distinguished Detailer

Quote:
personally i dont, but this forum has had many posts of people becoming obsessed with the speed limit instead of the quality of driving (50mph on motorways been common)

the increase of indiscrimate cameras when the only purpose seems to be revenue has impacted on peoples ability to drive - as ive said before speed isnt a killer but its easy to spot via cameras and raise money

what we need is more traffic police, using discretion - which is how they were trained - catching dangerous driving, something cameras cant do.

How many times have you been caught speeding by a camera? If cameras are strategically positioned to catch drivers unaware surely half the population would lose their licence easily? I've been caught once in around 500,000 miles.

I genuinely don't see many people at all doing 50mph on a motorway. Driving up large sections of the M74/M6 you're lucky to find people travelling under 80mph for large sections. I don't believe there's a single camera on the entire length of the motorway.

The proven fact is on roads where average speed cameras are installed serious accidents and fatalities drop dramatically. What changes then? Are they forced to pay some attention and not just click on cruise control, or is the drop in serious accident directly linked to the drop in average speeds?

As soon as the police start putting more police on traffic duties the instant cry is always for them to "go catch real criminals".

It just amazes me how many drivers accept zero responsibility for their driving and have an excuse for everything.
Old 16-06-2018, 11:11 PM   #54
andy665
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 3,669 Times in 2,039 Posts
Quote:
im sorry for their loss.

But youve hit the nail on the head - people should be concentrating on their driving and not the speedo, looking ahead for hazards, parked cars, children playing etc.
Could not be more wrong - he was doing approx 35mph and when asked why it was because he felt that 20mph was too slow.

You stated that speed does not kill - try telling that to my son's DEAD friends parents.

Do I break the limit - yes - not by much nowadays and NEVER in 20, 30 or 40 mph zones - might make me boring but I'd rather be boring than feel that breaking urban speed limits is fun - I call it arrogant, stupid and bloody selfish

Last edited by andy665; 16-06-2018 at 11:16 PM.
Old 16-06-2018, 11:25 PM   #55
kingswood
Orbital Oracle

Quote:
How many times have you been caught speeding by a camera? If cameras are strategically positioned to catch drivers unaware surely half the population would lose their licence easily? I've been caught once in around 500,000 miles.

I genuinely don't see many people at all doing 50mph on a motorway. Driving up large sections of the M74/M6 you're lucky to find people travelling under 80mph for large sections. I don't believe there's a single camera on the entire length of the motorway.

The proven fact is on roads where average speed cameras are installed serious accidents and fatalities drop dramatically. What changes then? Are they forced to pay some attention and not just click on cruise control, or is the drop in serious accident directly linked to the drop in average speeds?

As soon as the police start putting more police on traffic duties the instant cry is always for them to "go catch real criminals".

It just amazes me how many drivers accept zero responsibility for their driving and have an excuse for everything.
ive been caught once in 20yrs, on a temp 30mph in a 60mph, altho the other side of the road was still a 60mph. thats the type of stupid rules set by departments that gives you little faith.

average cameras are a fair point but has massive drawbacks. theres a 60 road near me that has 20 miles of them. was once a nice driving road, safe stretches to overtake lorries etc. now people are to scared they travel at 50mph causing massive tailbacks. people too scared to go over that thinking they mite get caught.

not to mention that 70/80mph would be perfectly safe overtaking etc on a dry bright sunny day but the cameras will have you. yet do 60mph on a wet foggy dull winter day and the cameras think your driving is ok.

more traffic police at appropriate times, not what i saw last week where a traffic car was sat on the motorway at 5am on a sunny morning nicking people doing 80mph. thats what annoys people. altho a traffic car pulling clowns hogging the middle lanes wont get any grief.

i take responsibility for my driving, the fact is if we want no fatalities on the road we need to get back on our push bikes. limits are set by massivily risk adverse public departements too keen to cover their

shall we talk about all the traffic calming measures like speed humps and mini roundabouts that councils sprung up about 15 years ago?! they were to save lives etc. all it did was make people speed up in between. typical nanny state telling us how to drive when we all knew they were a pain and rubbish.

we all want safer roads and less lives lost, the unfortunate thing is that reducing speed alone wont solve anything
Old 16-06-2018, 11:33 PM   #56
kingswood
Orbital Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy665 View Post
Could not be more wrong - he was doing approx 35mph and when asked why it was because he felt that 20mph was too slow.

You stated that speed does not kill - try telling that to my son's DEAD friends parents.

Do I break the limit - yes - not by much nowadays and NEVER in 20, 30 or 40 mph zones - might make me boring but I'd rather be boring than feel that breaking urban speed limits is fun - I call it arrogant, stupid and bloody selfish
i couldnt be more sorry for them but speed was a factor - not the cause.

and unfortunatley you stating that you break the limit, then mitigate it by saying not much - i call that hypicritical.

i never said i speed in urban areas for fun, i said explain why i need to do 20 past a school at 2am.

lets agree to disagree and both drive safely
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kingswood For This Useful Post:
cheekymonkey (17-06-2018), TRN Ent (18-06-2018)
Old 17-06-2018, 12:08 AM   #57
Kerr
Distinguished Detailer

Quote:
ive been caught once in 20yrs, on a temp 30mph in a 60mph, altho the other side of the road was still a 60mph. thats the type of stupid rules set by departments that gives you little faith.

average cameras are a fair point but has massive drawbacks. theres a 60 road near me that has 20 miles of them. was once a nice driving road, safe stretches to overtake lorries etc. now people are to scared they travel at 50mph causing massive tailbacks. people too scared to go over that thinking they mite get caught.

not to mention that 70/80mph would be perfectly safe overtaking etc on a dry bright sunny day but the cameras will have you. yet do 60mph on a wet foggy dull winter day and the cameras think your driving is ok.

more traffic police at appropriate times, not what i saw last week where a traffic car was sat on the motorway at 5am on a sunny morning nicking people doing 80mph. thats what annoys people. altho a traffic car pulling clowns hogging the middle lanes wont get any grief.

i take responsibility for my driving, the fact is if we want no fatalities on the road we need to get back on our push bikes. limits are set by massivily risk adverse public departements too keen to cover their

shall we talk about all the traffic calming measures like speed humps and mini roundabouts that councils sprung up about 15 years ago?! they were to save lives etc. all it did was make people speed up in between. typical nanny state telling us how to drive when we all knew they were a pain and rubbish.

we all want safer roads and less lives lost, the unfortunate thing is that reducing speed alone wont solve anything
So basically speed cameras aren't that intrusive then? A bit of common sense means that you're highly unlikely to be targeted and caught. You admit you like to speed, but you've only been caught once by an oversight.

Again I don't see the issues you do with average speed cameras. Half the drivers on the roads I use are now confident enough to know how far they can push the limit of them. The driving standard on the A90 instantly increased on their installation. Most cars travelling at 70mph makes the road flow so much smoother than it did before when it was gatsos installed.

Bad driving is going to mean more average cameras installed as they work. I agree with them on some roads, but it will.be a sad day when they are everywhere.

I don't see an issue with the police being on the road at 5am. Look how many people get caught the morning after while still drunk and unable to drive. It seems an obvious time to target bad driving.

I think, like many other people, your fear is far greater than reality.

I used to keep a running blog on here for accidents in my local area trying to emphasise a point. I've now lost 3 friends to accidents on the road. Two were self driving incidents related to their speed and one was wiped off his bike. The guy somehow lost control of his car on a 40mph dual carriageway and ended up spinning and hit his bike at 90 degrees. He was let off by the court very very lightly.

Another was wiped off his bike by a speeding Subaru driver, who lost control and rolled, and was very lucky to survive. The Subaru driver hasn't been up for trial yet.

Last edited by Kerr; 17-06-2018 at 12:11 AM.
Old 17-06-2018, 03:42 AM   #58
cheekymonkey
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 2,336 Times in 1,718 Posts
Quote:

is that part of the driving test?
Old 17-06-2018, 04:03 AM   #59
cheekymonkey
Distinguished Detailer

Quote:

how many of the police force have been caught ?
As for real criminals, a good friends sister was attacked and raped. my car was hit by a drink driver, the police wasn't interested. infact i found the car and the address of the guy who hit my car. police wasn't bothered.
We ended sorting both out our selfs. we did it properly. police only intrested if they can make money, such as a speeding ticket. hope you never end up where you really need them. they will end up letting you down, they are more interested in the speeder.
Old 17-06-2018, 04:09 AM   #60
cheekymonkey
Distinguished Detailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy665 View Post

how can you have a dig at any one, when you admit you break the speed limit yourself? Fact more people are killed at higher speed than lower speed
Closed Thread