Detailing World Forum banner

Audi RS4 - Full Paint Correction, Detail + G Techniq by KDS

32K views 45 replies 27 participants last post by  muchoado 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey Guys,

Earlier this year, after a week away at center parcs, the car sustained pollen damage, mainly to the bonnet and roof. It ended up covered in quite a thick layer of pollen all over in that week in the forest, and when washed off, the car was covered in tiny flecks that had etched the surface. :censored:

The car was already coated in gTechniq crystal serum and EXO by the previous owner of the car, so I contacted GTechniq and ended up in contact with their MD, Rob. He suggested a few things; I tried claying. I tried a light polish. I then tried a heavier polish. There was a marginal improvement, but not much.

There was nothing else for it, I had to book in for a professional to machine polish the car. There was no doubt where to look; KDS detailing already knew the car, and have an enviable reputation.

Although I wasn't covered by the original GTechniq guarantee (not transferrable),Rob kindly contributed towards the work

I'm told I was very fortunate that they were so busy that Mr KDS himself, Kelly, was drafted in to polish my car. :thumb:

I went for a gold paint correction package (15 stage wash, clay, engine bay clean and detail, interior clean and detail, wheels off to clean and coat in wheel armour, 2-3 stage machine polish), plus reapplication of GTechniq crystal serum and EXO. Rob at GTechniq sent over a batch of their latest formulation of EXO which is supposed to be more durable and less prone to water spotting than v2.

The results speak for themselves. The car looked incredible under their spotlights when I went to collect!

I'd apologise for all the pics, but who am I kidding, I'm not even sorry haha...thrilled with the results. Pollen marks gone, and the car looks better than I could imagine a 9 year old nearly 100k motor could look.

Many thanks to Jay, Kelly and team at KDS, and Rob at Gtechniq.

Zillions of pics to follow....

DSC_0896 by Faisal Javaid, on Flickr

DSC_0897 by Faisal Javaid, on Flickr

DSC_0899 by Faisal Javaid, on Flickr

DSC_0901 by Faisal Javaid, on Flickr

DSC_0908 by Faisal Javaid, on Flickr

DSC_0910 by Faisal Javaid, on Flickr

DSC_0915 by Faisal Javaid, on Flickr

DSC_0916 by Faisal Javaid, on Flickr

DSC_0919 by Faisal Javaid, on Flickr

DSC_0930 by Faisal Javaid, on Flickr

DSC_0935 by Faisal Javaid, on Flickr

DSC_0952 by Faisal Javaid, on Flickr

DSC_1003 by Faisal Javaid, on Flickr

DSC_1001 by Faisal Javaid, on Flickr

Need more coolant!

DSC_0998 by Faisal Javaid, on Flickr

DSC_0001 by Faisal Javaid, on Flickr

DSC_0991 by Faisal Javaid, on Flickr

DSC_0988 by Faisal Javaid, on Flickr

DSC_0985 by Faisal Javaid, on Flickr

DSC_0983 by Faisal Javaid, on Flickr

DSC_0982 by Faisal Javaid, on Flickr

DSC_0979 by Faisal Javaid, on Flickr

DSC_0974 by Faisal Javaid, on Flickr

DSC_0972 by Faisal Javaid, on Flickr

DSC_0971 by Faisal Javaid, on Flickr

DSC_0966 by Faisal Javaid, on Flickr

DSC_0962 by Faisal Javaid, on Flickr

DSC_0895 by Faisal Javaid, on Flickr

See less See more
#12 ·
Thanks very much for the comments all!

In answer to the questions:

The interior was done by plush automotive, actually before I owned the car. 3/4 charcoal alcantara, 1/4 leather, TT RS wheel, alcantara headliner.

The car is currently on 98k miles, but has been extremely well looked after by all owners. At least 3 of us RS enthusiasts and members of the RS246 forum.

Yes indeed, a brand new version of EXO. I believe it's not commercially available yet. KDS have been testing it and have good things to say about it's performance, but said its a royal pain in the...arms...to apply!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#15 · (Edited)
Oh how the neighbours laughed at me!

Not much more than a week after KDS's superb job on my car, and it's absolutely filthy!

Well, it was for good reason, a 900 mile round trip, plus about 250 miles away driving some fantastic roads in sunny Scotland!

The result:

Time to get to work! I had dry weather, just over an hour to spare, and a box of goodies from gtechniq:

I started with the wheels. Before:

Gave them a spray of gTechniq W6:

Perhaps an odd way to do things, but after the wheel cleaner has had a couple of minutes, I like to spray just the wheels with snowfoam (bilt hamber)

Now, if it was just a light clean, I could probably just jet wash off, but this time I had to agitate first. 1" brush..

Wheels ready to be pressure washed:

And then after pressure washing, looking more like it!

Time to snowfoam the whole car now

I've got to say I was really pleased with the gTechniq wash mitt. Hold so much water! Much more than my previous lambswool mitt.

After hand washing the car with 2 buckets, g-wash and the gTechniq mitt:

Time to break out the gTechniq drying cloths. I got 2, as per Rob Earle's advice (gTechniq MD). They are really lightweight and supposedly draw water through their surface layer into the core of the towel. They were much thinner and lighter than I'd expected, which didn't fill me with confidence...but I was mistaken! They really do the job!

After drying the car easier and more thoroughly than I'd ever done previously with any of my vast collection of microfibre towels, I decided to put another of Rob's tips into action. He said on email that the finish can look a little dull if there are minor amounts of water left behind, dried on the surface. A way to get round this is by giving the car a quick once over with quick detailer.

And the final result.

In your face neighbours at no 13!!!

#23 ·
Sure.

They're OEM Audi speedlines originally from a Q7. 20x10", 5x130, ET44. I have 15mm adapters on to get them to fit on the RS4 (which is 5x112 with a smaller centre bore); so effective offset same as OEM at ET29.

Tyres are 255/30/20

The mats were bought from eBay from a seller that is also on the RS246 forum. Let me know if you're interested and I'll look up the details.

#28 ·
It's been a while since I updated this...the roofbox is off the car, the wheels have changed, it has a carbon fibre rear valance/diffuser, new headlight lenses, and most recently a full front end respray (due to stone chips, a small patch of corrosion on the aluminium bonnet, and a small split in the bumper)

(Apologies for multiple posts, Tapatalk keeps crashing!)

1/3

#29 · (Edited)
Due to the corrosion and a previous repair, the bodyshop thought it best to take the bonnet back down to metal. Looks pretty cool...

First stage of primer

Wings prepped as well, and second stage of primer

Bumper repaired and prepped

Out of paint - still needed polishing and putting back together

2/3

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.