Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Showroom Detailed something and want to show it off? Do it here... This is the place for you to show the world....

Old 17-06-2018, 09:20 PM   #1
Aki1987
Unwashed Member

Garage
First proper detail!

So I've discovered detailing world many years ago, and shocked how good some cars were made by the pros - since then, I've got absolutely hooked on detailing and wanted to do an amazing job and post something, so now I've decided to give it ago! I have gained inspiration from various people, so I'll mention them where I remember.

The car I will be working on is my new car (to me), a 2016 Mini JCW with 15k miles on the clock. When I saw her in the forecourt I thought the condition was pretty good in comparison to others, but once inspected in depth, it left me thinking... I need to go full out on this car

The car drives fantastically well, so I've driven around a couple of hundred miles before I commenced the project.

This post details the first 2 days of the detail, if I get positive comments I'll carry it on so please let me know all your thoughts!

Photos are taken either using iPhone 6s or Nikon D3300.

So some initial inspections:

There's slight lack of gloss here...

.. and this dial needs sorting out!

So before I washed the car, I started with the wheels - I didn't take any pictures for some reason though, but I used Valet pro bilberry wheel cleaner with hog hair brush, wheel woolies, followed by Carpro iron x. I've also clayed them as well using soft bilt hamber clay.

Onto the washing - I decided to use the Auto finesse citrus power prewash, Fireball green snowfoam, Zymol clear auto bathe, Autobrite direct foam lance, Kamikaze foam sponge (thought I'd give this ago, I have got wool mitts but this felt super soft, and might remove grime better). Two buckets, and Metrovac master blaster.

Spraying the citrus power all over the car and left it to dwell, then pressure washed off, then to follow up by the foam:

I've used about this much of the snowfoam:

It seemed pretty good, but not sure if it's the best foam out there! It smelt really nice, though. Let it dwell again for 5 minutes, then blasted off. Followed by two bucket wash, it felt really slick with the combination I used, maybe more so than using a wool / microfibre mitt!

After that I had sprayed Iron x over the car, to reduce the workload for the clay and to reduce particle dragging along the paint with the said clay. This was confirmed good practice by Tim at CYC, thank you!

Very hard to see the reaction on the black car, but it was definitely doing something. Again I would have de-tar'd the car as well if they were more visible, but not this time! So off I go to the next step..

Using the clay sponge, using the shampoo water, I went over the car and though very easy to use, it was difficult to tell if there was much being removed, and when I rubbed, it did leave some marks behind - not sure if I'm using it wrong but it didn't give me too much confidence as to it was removing everything, so followed on to use the Bilt Hamber white soft clay to see. It was... shocking results, there was so much left behind!

Gyeon Tar was used to remove the marks left by the earlier clay sponge and thick bits of tar I could feel with the clay, and car was washed again then dried using the Metrovac + Polished bliss drying towel.

hijacking the process a little, interior was vacuumed and wet vac'd, APC'd the pedals and sealed with Gtechniq I1 AB:

Then I went on to inspect the wheels...

.. they were more or less all like that, so I've used Chemical guys VSS and wowo foam pads to spruce them up a little:

A lot better, but thought I'll see if I can get them a bit better by using the Rupes ibrid with yellow pads / yellow compound:

Pretty happy with the result!

Since I'm going all out, I thought I'll apply the Gtechniq CSL + EXO V3 on the wheels, using the Gtechniq panel wipe to prep. Used a cotton applicator as the nooks and crannies would make it difficult to use the foam block. Applied, then wiped off immediately as instructed.

I've stopped there to let the CSL cure, and went on to the next step - inspect paint and touch ups. Using the Scangrip head torch and lamp, I've just had a whizz around to see what I find:

Nothing too major, but definitely needed something doing to them. Using Larry from Ammo NYC's tip, using the Loew Cornell fine pen and touch up paint, I've tackled them...

Then I inspected the rest of the car, these lights really do show the defects in paint!

You get the idea, definitely needs sprucing up! However it was getting far too dark and late, so I put on the EXO on the wheels, and put the car back in the garage to keep them away from the elements for the next dozen hours as instructed.

Day 2 -

Masked around all the badges and trims ready for the polishing stage.

I had to try see the beading action on the wheels, so here are some:

I didn't have too much strength today but needed to get things moving, so I've sketched out the rough panel shapes, and calibrated the paint depth gauge then measured around the car:

... and then terrible headache kicked in (yo), so put her back in the garage and story to be continued...

That's it for now, if people want to see the rest of the process do let me know and as mentioned before, all feedback welcomed! (and I really hope that I've done the picture thing right...I didn't first of all, now sorted!)

Last edited by Aki1987; 17-06-2018 at 09:40 PM.
Aki1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Aki1987 For This Useful Post:
chris.t (20-06-2018), euge07 (18-06-2018), Fruitcake (17-06-2018), SBM (18-06-2018), Starbuck88 (18-06-2018), Stoner (18-06-2018), SunnyBoi (20-06-2018)
Old 17-06-2018, 09:54 PM   #2
dchapman88
Dw Reviewer

Thanked 1,216 Times in 865 Posts
Garage
Nice little thread there
Would be nice for you to share with us where your up to...
dchapman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 10:32 PM   #3
BaileyA3
Orbital Oracle

Garage
Haven't seen an amateur detailed, in depth thread on here for a while, always enjoyed reading them and this is looking good so far. Keep up the good work and get the rest of the progress up on here

I look forward to seeing it once you've finished polishing, what pad's and polish do you plan to use?
BaileyA3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 04:04 AM   #4
Stoner
PC Perfectionist

A great improvement from when you started - great work. As the others have said, I would love to see the final result so please keep positing
Stoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 08:28 AM   #5
audi mike
Sponge Jockey

Nice work so far , keep those reports coming
audi mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 08:32 AM   #6
Aki1987
Unwashed Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyA3 View Post
Haven't seen an amateur detailed, in depth thread on here for a while, always enjoyed reading them and this is looking good so far. Keep up the good work and get the rest of the progress up on here

I look forward to seeing it once you've finished polishing, what pad's and polish do you plan to use?
Thank you BaileyA3, I do want to get it as good as it can, so might even go down to some wet sanding to get her looking good!

I have got various 3M trizact pads but might start with the Carpro jeans pad to see if it can tidy up the orange peel, it's not bad but once you see it... can't be unseen and all.

Pads wise - I've got a few hexalogic pads and all grades of the Scholl pads, as well as Rupes blue / green / yellow / white, and compound / polish, I've got various grades of chemical guys compounds, rupes gear to match the pads, and Scholl S20 as well so a combination from all these should get me somewhere I'm hoping if there's any tips you could give me on this I'd appreciate it

Bit of a noobish one now, do I keep posting after the original post or do I start up a new one for progress...
Aki1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 04:53 PM   #7
BaileyA3
Orbital Oracle

Garage
Sorry mate, can't help with tips for the pads and polishes. I have the rupes pads myself but still haven't got round to trying them out so will be keeping a close eye on this to see how you get on if you use them. As for the orange peel I have been tempted to tackle mine but just not got round to it yet, mine is due a machine polish so might just tackle a panel at a time and get it done.

When you say about posting after the original post do you mean editing it to continue? If so I would just start a new post every time you add progress.
BaileyA3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2018, 08:48 AM   #8
bazz
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,600 Times in 1,579 Posts
Garage
Send a message via MSN to bazz
great job so far
bazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2018, 09:44 AM   #9
dave-
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Just do one stage polish with a white pad and sonax 04-06.
You will be there forever with multiple pads and polishes.
It will put you off ever doing it again, your arms will ache.
dave- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2018, 07:40 PM   #10
chris.t
Orbital Oracle

Garage
Fantastic job so far, looking forward to seeing the finished article
chris.t is offline   Reply With Quote