Detailing World Forum banner

Toyota Celica VVTi Dynamic

25K views 73 replies 22 participants last post by  MadOnVaux! 
#1 ·
So, since I sold the MG ZR a few weeks back I've been perusing Gumtree and Ebay for a similar find. Nothing really caught my eye until this came up for sale at 2pm this afternoon...

It was literally round the corner from so thought it would be rude not to at that price!

The chap was selling it on behalf of his mum who had had to stop driving due to poor health. It's a 1.8 VVTi 2001 in Dynamic Spec which from what a quick google search means it has 17 alloys, side skirts and front splitter.

It's almost 17yrs old and has covered just 51,000miles having only done 150 since the last MOT which runs out next month, so shouldn't be a problem getting a fresh ticket.

In fact the car has only done 5k in the last 6yrs

The current owner has had it since 2004 and looked after it well. Unfortunately she has lost the service book but there are invoices for a fair amount of work which are mostly if not all main dealer.

Bonus was that tyres were replaced back in 2015 and have covered less than 300miles!

The only down side is that it's got a dent on the rear quarter which might pop out and some scuff which my DA should clean up!

Did I mention that I've not test driven it?! Didn't want to miss out on it so took the kids with me. Anyway picking it up later this evening.

Photos from the advert

Inside is pretty clean although the previous clearly never used mats as there is a hole in the carpet.

Plans are to clean it over the weekend, MOT it Monday, wait for V5 to arrive hopefully midweek (as I did it online) and put it back up for sale in the next week or so with the intention of making a little profit.

Spend

Car £450
MOT £50
Temp insurance cover £26
Tax £20

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#10 · (Edited)
The son of the old lady I bought it off had got Toyota to email the print outs but the format is really gash and does nothing for my OCD.

Very tempted to buy a new service book and get it stamped! Have you done this before then? £20 for a fully stamped service book is worth its weight in gold!

#11 ·
It's been a busy more this far. I woke up to an email from the chap I bought it off saying his wife had found the locking wheel nut case. Rookie error on my part not to check but it was a hasty purchase yesterday afternoon/evening! Anyway he was kind enough to drop them over to me and was very pleased to hear from my wife that I'd taken my son out in it at 8.30am for a spin!

I dropped by the Snows Toyota Dealer to ask about the service book. Great customer service from a lady called Gemma who stamped a new service book for a bargain £3! Admittedly it's not the original it would have come with but gives peace of mind for the next owner that it's been looked after.

Thanks WRXMania for the heads up on this one.

Whilst out I went via Lidl and when putting the shopping away in the boot was almost beheaded. The gas shocks although look new are gassed out by the looks of it...

Snows wanted £90 plus an hour labour [emoji23]

Bought these for £20 and il fit them myself thank you [emoji4]

Bought some tailored car mats which should be here next week and I also need to get a rear wiper...

#18 ·
Here's the dent on the rear quarter

Choice of tools

5min later

Another scuff on the front drivers side

99% marks have gone. Think it must have been a fence she hit.

Mates coming over with a body work plunger - not sure if that what it's called but hopefully we'll get rid of the dent once and for all.

#26 ·
In an ideal world I'd keep this and the MG ZR that I sold not long ago with 18k on the clock. In reality I don't have anywhere to keep them. Whilst I love cars I don't really ever get the attachment to keep them as some people do - it's just another I car I can tick off the list as saying I've owned and driven.

Some of the cars on this list I've had for over a year like the P1 (only car I wish I still had!), punto sporting, Ibiza cupra but most I had for 3-6 months and got bored.

Don't get me wrong the Celica is nice but I'd happily take the profit and put it into the next mini do up and sell.

End goal would be to save enough to buy a RR Sport HST TDV8 and then keep it for ever!

#25 ·
Just a small thing. Toyota stamped the book with a 2011 stamp.

Most dealers are using dated stamps now to detect fraudulent service book stamping.

A dated stamp only gets used to stamp services for that year.

In you case it matters not, but I thought I would mention.

#27 · (Edited)

Not prefect but better as we've managed to remove the dent on the bottom half.

Will remove the trim on the inside along with the speaker and try giving it a firm wack with a rubber mallet as the sucker would only hold for so long before loosing suction.

#29 ·
Damn, what a transformation! I love threads like this - starting with a sort looking motor and with a quick and distinct turn around.

You should take it back round to the guy you bought it from and show him the progress!

I can't believe you managed to get all that fence rash out just with a quick buff - poor car has probably had that on it for years and you got rid of it within minutes!

With the shape of the dent I'm not sure you'll ever get it perfect, but the panels on there cars are quite soft, so you might be lucky.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

#30 ·
Great buy! I had the VVTL-i 190bhp and it was one of the best cars I had. Fault free and sold it with 190k on the clock and it would still smoothly rev to 9000rpm.

I've got a set of facelift tail lights if you decide to keep and modernise the back. Also got a K&N panel filter I think, plus the single din CD conversion bracket.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/toyota/gt86/first-drives/toyota-celica-gt

#31 ·
Car went in for its MOT this morning.

Failed on emissions but only just. The car had only done 150 miles since last MOT so the tester advised I top it up with super unleaded, add some of this

And then drive the nuts off of it!

Took it back after a 20min blast and it past [emoji3]

#34 ·
Yeah about that. Whilst I was at the garage the smart repair guy was there and oooo and aaaarh about the consequences of me giving it a wack with a rubber mallet from the inside. Anyway pulled the interior trim off to find the speaker is held in place with rivets which I don't want to be drilling out. I'll have to leave it as it is which is a shame.

#36 ·
Thanks.

When I originally bought it I was thinking I could get a grand for it but looking around on autotrader, gumtree and eBay leads me to believe I could get a bit more.

There are only x17 2001 Celica's on autotrader. One has 72,000 and is up for £1695 and another has 66,000 miles (lowest mileage for the age on autotrader) and is advertised for £1999 both at garages.

This one has not yet done 52,000 so I'm thinking I could advertise for high teens and settle on £1400-£1600.

There are lots of 100k for around the £1000 most with after market wheels, wings etc

This is totally original and unmolested, so could be worth something to someone who has a love of this model Toyota.

I could be totally wrong of course!

Spend so far

Car £450
Tax £21
Insurance £26
MOT £45
Mats £15
Gas struts £20
Wiper £12
Petrol £20
Cat clean £18

I'm in it for just over £600 so anything above that is a bonus!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.