Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 21-08-2012, 01:45 PM   #1
ted11
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,685 Times in 1,049 Posts
Garage
Mercedes 190 SL the love affair starts

Hi every one, this is the story of a car that became more than just another restoration it became a love affair for me and has I had suffered a lot of ill health over the previous 12 months had decided that this was going to be my last big job before I called it a day and would be taking early retirement.
I am going to write this thread trying to give you some idea of the love that was put into this car for more reasons than one and I hope I can keep you interested enough to follow this rebuild as it will be long.
Firstly I will give you some of the back ground of how this all started.
For those of you that cannot picture what a 190 sl looks like here are a couple of pictures

My best friend David (the lord of darkness) had been looking for one of these cars for a number of years but had only found basket cases that needed far to much work to be a viable investment but I received a phone call saying that he had found what appeared to be a good one for sale in London and was I well enough to travel, as it was I had just come out of hospital and wasnt well enough to go, in a funny sort of way this probably did us both a favor in the long run (explanation later) this would be the first car that David would buy in 25 years that I hadnt checked first.
David rings me from London and tells me that the car had had a lot of work done over the years with fantastic history and had recently been restored by the last owner and was going to purchase the car even though I thought it sounded very expensive but if it was as good as it sounded then he could not lose.
Well David had the car delivered to him about a week later and was enjoying driving it around so he drove round to my home to show me the car now I was well enough to go outside, on the face of it it did look very nice but as for having a recent full restoration it looked more like it had been tarted up to sell it but still it wasnt bad but there was some repairs that had been badly done and although I didnt say to much as he had paid a lot of money for it and I didnt want to dishearten him to much, i knew that within a short time there would be some rot coming through.
Now the one thing he wasnt happy with was the carpet, it fitted where it touched and was very baggy, and on the drivers side was rolling up as it was moving forward every time he changed gear, so I agreed as soon as I was well enough I would have a look to see what could be done, well a month passed and I felt that I could have a go at putting the carpet right for him at home, so the car was dropped off and left for as long as I needed to do the job.
First job was to remove the seats, this should have took about 30 seconds per seat as they supposed to slide straight of the runners but as I would find with this car nothing was going to be easy, anyway eventually got the seats out and dragged the carpets out and as they were not held in by anything there was no problem.
The first thing I noticed was there was no sound deadening under the carpet and the second thing was the state of the floor having screws, bits of wood and general rubbish that the carpets had just been frown over so out with the vac and scratch brush and the floors cleaned up, then on closer inspection the front floor panels had some rot and the wood floor panels were rotten so these were removed

the rest of the floor was then degrased ready for some paint

I should explain that this car has a double floor with about a 3 inch cavity between them, the under floor is all steel and the inner floor made up of steel panels and wood panels.
I decided that I would try and cut down on as much road noise as I could so I filled the cavity with foam before fitting the new floor panels that I had made

Next was to bulk up the transmission tunnel a little so I could make the carpet fit better

then on to fitting the sound proofing

once the insulation was glued in and dry it was time to stick the carpet in this was glued and stretched into place so that it wouldnt move again

after this was done and allowed to dry the front seats were re installed.
Whilst putting the seats back in I realised that there must be some thing broken frame wise inside the seat but this would have to wait until the car could be taken into the work shop.
So David collected the car and drove around spain in it for a month when on his return he had a slight accident with the wall in his car park when the brakes failed and thats where we will start the next episode soon.
Thanks for reading and hope this is wetting your appetite.
ted11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ted11 For This Useful Post:
Avanti (21-08-2012), rtjc (25-08-2012), zippo (22-08-2012)
Old 21-08-2012, 01:46 PM   #2
ted11

Thanked 1,685 Times in 1,049 Posts
Garage
ted11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ted11 For This Useful Post:
Buck (01-09-2012)
Old 21-08-2012, 01:50 PM   #3
Beancounter

Subscribed
What a beautiful looking car
Beancounter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beancounter For This Useful Post:
ted11 (21-08-2012)
Old 21-08-2012, 04:01 PM   #4
woodybeefcake

Garage
Mmmm more of this please!! There is a cram one knocking about near me, I think it only comes out in the sun! Bloody gorgeous!
woodybeefcake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woodybeefcake For This Useful Post:
ted11 (21-08-2012)
Old 21-08-2012, 04:06 PM   #5
Chrissyronald

What an amazing looking car!? Can't wait for updates on this!
Chrissyronald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissyronald For This Useful Post:
ted11 (21-08-2012)
Old 21-08-2012, 10:02 PM   #6
liam99
Orbital Oracle

Always love old Mercs.
liam99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to liam99 For This Useful Post:
ted11 (21-08-2012)
Old 21-08-2012, 10:12 PM   #7
David Proctor

Garage
Stunning...
David Proctor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to David Proctor For This Useful Post:
ted11 (21-08-2012)
Old 21-08-2012, 10:49 PM   #8
neilb62

Send a message via MSN to neilb62
Subscribed.. I'm becoming some sort of Ted groupie!
neilb62 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to neilb62 For This Useful Post:
ted11 (21-08-2012)
Old 21-08-2012, 10:50 PM   #9
ford nut
PC Perfectionist

Garage
subscribed...Love these old mercs.... keep em coming Ted....
ford nut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ford nut For This Useful Post:
ted11 (21-08-2012)
Old 21-08-2012, 10:53 PM   #10
Avanti
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 2,555 Times in 2,163 Posts
Nice one Ted, my Bro has just purchased an SL320 but not quite as classic as yours.
Avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Avanti For This Useful Post:
ted11 (21-08-2012)