Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 08-12-2017, 07:07 PM   #861
fordmondeo2006
Sponge Jockey

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_W View Post
Thanks fella....can you see all the pics? I think I lost an awful lot of this thread when Photobucket decided to be moneygrabbing wonkers.

I owned a Mk3 Mondeo for almost 9 years.....do I know you from that scene?

i'm Blackpanther2006 on talkford i saw your beautiful stardust silver 2.5 saloon on talkford and on DW

I unfortunately don't own my 06 tdci anymore it was a mapped 2.0tdci it would spin the front tyres in 3rd lol

All the photo's i can see, I have a PHOTOBUCKET FIX that can be added to chrome https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=..._X60hE09UcOwmo

fordmondeo2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fordmondeo2006 For This Useful Post:
Ben_W (15-01-2018), Caledoniandream (07-01-2018)
Old 01-01-2018, 09:12 PM   #862
Ben_W
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,363 Times in 855 Posts
So, with a relatively mild New year's Eve behind me, I needed something to do today…..with it being too cold and wet to do anything on the body of the Rallye, my attention turned to the engine I have waiting on the stand in the garage.

This engine is the one that came from the 6 I broke last year (I can say that now…!!). The only difference between a Rallye and a 6 is that the 6 engine has an Aircon compressor, and as a result, a different auxiliary belt set up. The compressor got binned ages ago (if I remember correctly, I had to take it off to help get the engine out). There's a big bolt on cast bracket that bolts to the engine block which carries the compressor, alternator and power steering pump. I'm pretty certain this is the same across the 6/Rallye engines and it's just a case of getting rid and swapping the aux belt set up. Need to check if the tensioner is different but it's no a big job to swap, even less so if it's part of a complete rebuild out of the car.

So, onto the strip down. First job was removed the rear engine mount as it hold the intermediate drive shaft, which didn't want to budge. Removal and introduction to a BFO hammer persuaded to two to part company. You can see the rust formed.on the inside.of the bearing housing.... Exhaust manifold next. Please excuse the term of phrase but what an utter a*$e of a job to get off. Being pretty much an equal length item, it's a of a tangle, with access to the bolts holding to the head minimal at best aside from the 4 at either side. Add 120k miles of heating and cooling cycles, chuck in many puddle splashes etc and it's likely easier to get the wife to put out than it is get the damn thing off….

Now, there are ten bolts, screwing onto studs mounted in the head, holding the manifold on. 13mm, rusty, crusty mess of thing(s). 4 came off with the 13mm socket. The rest just laughed at me. Didn't laugh so much when I hammered Mr 12mm on. More easily on some than others but in the end I won. Except for the fact not a single bolt unwound, rather winding the stud out of the head. No biggy, at least none sheared.

With the exhaust manifold off, I turned my attention to the inlet side of the engine. No really dramas here, removed the loom as much as I could, fuel rail, injectors, coil pack all off and then got busy taking the inlet manifold off. Again, no issues, no stuck bolts etc. It was only when I took it off I realised the Helmholtz resonator box had been removed and the manifold plugged. Few schools of thought about the benefits, but they are supposedly there to cancel out unwanted harmonics in the intake system, as well as balancing air feed to all cylinders. The one downside is apparently a low end torque sacrifice but this appears unproven. Something else for me to replace…..

With all that off, it was time for the rest of the ancillaries to come off. Only issue was a snapped bolt on the power steering pump. A stud extractor should sort that.

The block has plenty of surface rust, once stripped, a good vapour blast should sort that.

Last edited by Ben_W; 01-01-2018 at 09:14 PM.
Ben_W is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ben_W For This Useful Post:
Cookies (02-01-2018), JR1982 (01-01-2018), lincolndanny (01-01-2018), Sicskate (01-01-2018)
Old 01-01-2018, 10:47 PM   #863
JR1982

Thanked 1,044 Times in 841 Posts
Garage
Wasn’t expecting this to start so soon into the new year, but it was a nice surprise happy new year bud
JR1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 11:05 PM   #864
Ben_W

Don't expect too much progress too quickly!! Christmas has been expensive, the funds are exhausted (bit like me getting that exhaust manifold off...!) and ideally I need £600 to throw at it for the next stages.

Circa £300 to have the front end blasted but then there is a small amount of rust repair required too so may increase.

£150 or so to have the head, block, gearbox casing and some other bits vapour blasted.

£160 ish for a new bearing set, and that's assuming the block doesn't need a bore/hone job or the head needing skimming.....then there is getting the entire bag of nuts and bolts off to the players to be cleaned and refinished (probably just bright zinc plated the lot, only one or two appear to have the yellow passivate finish....)

I've a few questions to ask the 6/Rallye fraternity about going any further with the strip down (do I need to remember which lifter came from where etc, same for rods/pistons...etc) and a couple of tools (flywheel locking tool and possibly a puller to get the crank pulley off)

There will be some more engine bits to replace. Will replace the crank pulley as they are renowned for slipping and makes timing the engine a complete ****.

Once everything is clean, there are some more bits to have powder coated (engine mounts/lifting eyes and a couple of support brackets....then there is the loom which needs cleaning. I can see a night or four in the garage with warm water, APC and a toothbrush....

So much to do, and a lot of it requiring £££, which will slow progress but I'm not fussed. Can't rush perfection

Forgot to mention a couple of details for some of the pics... Got a halfords gift card for my birthday so went and bought some new mole grips and some proper pipe clip pliers and what an absolute god send they are. No more messing about trying to prise those clips open, cursing and then stabbing yourself in the hand with a screwdriver. Couple of seconds, bit of a squeeze, job done (bit like me says the wife.... )

I also found an oil breather hose with a split. Another one for the parts list.

Last edited by Ben_W; 02-01-2018 at 10:48 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ben_W For This Useful Post:
Cookies (02-01-2018), JR1982 (02-01-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 09:42 AM   #865
ttc6
Washmitt Meister

I'm really looking forward to sitting down and reading through your thread properly, and for the updates as they come. I have a 180k mile Ph3 GTi6 with a failed head gasket and other ailments similar to yours, it needs an engine build and new axle among other things. I am hoping to get it back on the road this year as you don't see too many of them about any more! Your thread has given me some enthusiasm already.

Quote:
I'm pretty certain this is the same across the 6/Rallye engines and it's just a case of getting rid and swapping the aux belt set up. Need to check if the tensioner is different but it's no a big job to swap, even less so if it's part of a complete rebuild out of the car.
I'm sure it's not much help, but I swapped the aux belt setup on mine with parts from a Rallye. The cast bracket is the same, and the tensioner different - it's manual on the Rallye. All this after the AC was removed, the tensioner wouldn't work properly and it spat a belt on the M1. It was a while ago now so I may be misremembering it, but I think I only bought about 2 or 3 parts. Let me know if I can grab a picture for you.
ttc6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ttc6 For This Useful Post:
Ben_W (02-01-2018)
Old 07-01-2018, 11:11 AM   #866
Ben_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttc6 View Post
I'm really looking forward to sitting down and reading through your thread properly, and for the updates as they come. I have a 180k mile Ph3 GTi6 with a failed head gasket and other ailments similar to yours, it needs an engine build and new axle among other things. I am hoping to get it back on the road this year as you don't see too many of them about any more! Your thread has given me some enthusiasm already.

I'm sure it's not much help, but I swapped the aux belt setup on mine with parts from a Rallye. The cast bracket is the same, and the tensioner different - it's manual on the Rallye. All this after the AC was removed, the tensioner wouldn't work properly and it spat a belt on the M1. It was a while ago now so I may be misremembering it, but I think I only bought about 2 or 3 parts. Let me know if I can grab a picture for you.
Thanks for the advice bud, and hope you enjoy the thread. I really hope you can see the pictures.....

Anyway, it's been too cold to do anything this weekend but I have had the bargain spotter fired up. Brand new, in the Peugeot packaging, fuel filler door. £4, delivered!

Interesting in that it's got a defect in the primer....nothing 10 mins with a sanding block won't fix but not what you'd expect in a brand new part!

Last edited by Ben_W; 07-01-2018 at 11:13 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ben_W For This Useful Post:
Cookies (07-01-2018), DC240S (06-03-2018), ttc6 (16-01-2018)
Old 15-01-2018, 11:34 PM   #867
Ben_W

Desperate to escape the seemingly never ending conveyor belt of X Factor type shows or celebs doing some rubbish stuff which is now churning out rubbish on a Sunday night, I escaped to the garage on Sunday night.

I was keen to see in what condition the bumpers and skirts I took off were in. Please excuse the lack of pics but my phone protested it was cold and the battery went flat pretty quickly….

First job was the front bumper. Now, you may remember when the front end all came off, I found evidence it had previously been bumped as it had a slam panel with 'Thatcham approved’ stickers all over it. I was never able to separate this from the bumper as a rusty bolt had sheared it's captive weld and was just rotating inside the bumper moulding. I noticed the slam panel was a bit rusty around the flange of the nut so after a couple of other attempts, I gave up and wellied it with the hammer which pushed it through the slam panel and separated the panel from the bumper. Slam panel is getting replaced so happy days. I then noticed the first bodge…

In that pic, the nut I hammered is top right. Bottom left is clearly a stud that sheared when the insurance repair was happening as the stud should have gone through a hole in the slam panel…..except said hole was still covered by a sticker and the sticker was unbroken. Further inspection revealed the bumper isn't in great shape. Grill is broken in several places…

Again, no major issue as I've a brand new one of these in the Peugeot bag in the garage. The rest of the bumper isn't great though either. Dents, scrapes, poor touch ups, bent corners & broken brackets….

I'll keep this as a spare but I'll be adding a new one to the parts list. I'll need to transfer the fog blanks over but then given a new pair are only £15 from Peugeot, I might just get some new of those too.

Rear bumper. Generally in much better shape although I suspect this is because it had paint recently. Not the greatest job as there were runs both sides...I suspect it has slightly too much paint which ran…

Got busy with a sanding block. Was taking it off nicely until i adjusted the angle and went through what I think was a thin bit of paint.

Again, not a massive issue as this bumper will also need paint if I'm to keep it….

I'll put the feelers out for a new one of these too….polished up ok though!

So, body work aside, I got in some more with the engine. All the ancillaries are off and it's pretty much a bare block, just the oil filter and a couple of pipes to go. I drained the oil and set about trying to get the sump off to check the oil pump sprocket. Need to check it's the later version with the keyway, rather than the earlier friction fit version. I'll upgrade if it's the earlier version as these have been known to fail. They just spin on the shaft and you lose all oil pressure. I've already checked it has the later style, single bolt cam pulleys which is good. I noticed that the sump appears to have been off at some point as it looks like it's been put back on with a load of sealant (I'll get pics), supported by the fact that despite removing all the bolts, the sump doesn't want to come off…….even with a drift, a big hammer and touch not best described as delicate. I'll check I've not missed something stupid and try again at some point.

I'm just starting to make several lists:

Jobs to do
Things to buy

Both are growing at an alarming rate! First job really is save some £££ and have the front end blasted. I can't do any more on the body until this is done. I can't have the bulkhead welded either until thats done.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ben_W For This Useful Post:
Cookies (16-01-2018), JR1982 (16-01-2018)
Old 17-01-2018, 08:47 AM   #868
ttc6
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Thanks for the advice bud, and hope you enjoy the thread. I really hope you can see the pictures.....
Ah, no problem at all. If there's anything I can help with, reference pictures or whatever, just let me know.

I read through every post last night and really glad I did. No problems with the pictures after installing the Chrome extension mentioned earlier in the thread.

Thank you very much for sharing. I appreciate a lot goes into projects like this - both in the actual work and taking the time to write it up. I took a lot of enjoyment from following your process rather than merely seeing the end result. I like a good story. And like I said earlier, it's renewed my enthusiasm for working on my own; which is a project that has sat for far too long now - full of doubts and wasted time.

I wish you all the very best with your health - in both senses of the word. Keep at it.

Tom
ttc6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ttc6 For This Useful Post:
Ben_W (17-01-2018)
Old 25-02-2018, 08:05 PM   #869
Ben_W

So,

Following a heavy weekend of drinking, sport (we played in the Peoples FA Cup 5-a-side competition Saturday) and too much food (friends round last night and then out for mahoosive Sunday dinner with family today), I did a bit of tidying up, and sorting out of stuff with the 306.

The biggest news is that my brand new bonnet arrived. My parts man stumbled upon a pair new at a dealership local to him. Given mine came off worse following an incident where I'd whacked my head, again, and decided to lash out at the nearest thing (the bonnet) and practised an uppercut on it, coupled with the rust I'd been finding, a new one made lots of sense, especially at the price.

It has a couple of storage dings which a small amount of prep will sort. It's a genuine panel, and the correct part number for my Rallye. Important as there were a couple of changes over the years. I then had a look at the badge on my existing bonnet to check it would fit and discovered the mounting lugs are broken. I think this is where i pushed my buggy back into it and the engine cage has caught the badge. One more bit for the parts list....

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ben_W For This Useful Post:
Cookies (25-02-2018), DC240S (06-03-2018), JR1982 (25-02-2018), Sicskate (25-02-2018)
Old 25-02-2018, 08:34 PM   #870
Cookies
Distinguished Detailer + Dw Reviewer

Thanked 4,802 Times in 3,526 Posts
Garage
Good man Ben. I've said it before, but your parts guy is a feckin genius.

Anyhoo, how did the footy go?

N
Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote