Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 13-01-2018, 06:26 PM   #311
Hereisphilly
Dw Reviewer

Thanked 1,857 Times in 1,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgedawes View Post
There are addons for Firefox and Chrome, that work around this.

The pictures are working fine for me
What are the plugins?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Hereisphilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 06:48 PM   #312
georgedawes
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hereisphilly View Post
What are the plugins?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Firefox-Addons-Plugins and search for Photobucket. Its the last one at the bottom, dated Nov2017. Install that, they should work then.
georgedawes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to georgedawes For This Useful Post:
Hereisphilly (13-01-2018)
Old 28-06-2018, 05:02 PM   #313
oobster
Sponge Jockey

Any update on this car Willsy? Was enjoying reading it.
oobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2018, 07:50 PM   #314
c87reed
Orbital Oracle

Garage
What a tremendous job on this car. It also cleaned up really well initially, with a lot less rust than I was expecting to see. The reg plates are brilliant too.
c87reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 12:21 PM   #315
Willsy309
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobster View Post
Any update on this car Willsy? Was enjoying reading it.
Well the good news is that Iíve still got the car 👍🏻 Bad-ish news thar I havenít had a whole lot of time to get stuck into it lately.

I have re built the rear suspension though so I do have a decent enough update to get the ball rolling again.

Iím just in the process of uploading a load of pics to a new Flickr account which Iíll be using from now on since Photobucket pulled their stunt slapping a massive price on hosting. Hopefully Iíll have some pics to post in a few hours time
Willsy309 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Willsy309 For This Useful Post:
Cookies (27-08-2018), wrxmania (27-08-2018)
Old 27-08-2018, 12:57 PM   #316
wrxmania
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsy309 View Post
Well the good news is that Iíve still got the car Bad-ish news thar I havenít had a whole lot of time to get stuck into it lately.

I have re built the rear suspension though so I do have a decent enough update to get the ball rolling again.

Iím just in the process of uploading a load of pics to a new Flickr account which Iíll be using from now on since Photobucket pulled their stunt slapping a massive price on hosting. Hopefully Iíll have some pics to post in a few hours time

Super - look forward to it.

I am finding now that I use Tapatalk app and it lets me upload my pics directly, which is handy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wrxmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 01:14 PM   #317
Willsy309
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxmania View Post
I am finding now that I use Tapatalk app and it lets me upload my pics directly, which is handy.
Now thatís interesting, I didnít realise that you could do that. Tapatalk has always been one of those where I decline in favour of just using the desktop version (still on the iPhone of course) thinking Iíd save myself the App space. But if I can upload direct from my phone on the tapatalk app thatíll save me farting about with the old photobucket album, Flickr and so forth. Hmmm

Iíll grab some lunch then Iíll try the Tapatalk app. Cheers for the heads up 👍🏻
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Willsy309 For This Useful Post:
Cookies (27-08-2018), wrxmania (27-08-2018)
Old 27-08-2018, 02:04 PM   #318
Willsy309
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Peugeot 309 GTi restoration

Afternoon folks, apologies for the delay in a meaningful update. Busy year so far but with most of my non car related Ďto doí list being conquered itís time to get upto date on here, and prepare for some more graft.

First up is a quick catchup of the rear end rust removal progress. As I left off from the last update, I was working on a bit of the boot floor box section. It is a bit finicky on these old Pugs.

Last update you were left with this pic...

Well I progressed a bit and managed to get some of the box section back to bare metal, treated any pitted bits (just to make sure all the rust was sorted) with Bilt Hamber Hydrate80, then gave a liberal few coats of Zinc rich Bilt Hamber Electrox over the top.

That should keep it in decent order for a good while. I didnít get much done on the boot floor area. Itís so time consuming at this stage id decided that it would best to do small sections at once to get it coated ASAP rather than having larger areas of metal bare for a prolonged period.

Hereís where I got to

Once Iíve done all the donkey work here itíll be easier to do the stone chip over coating in more or less one sitting I hope.

At this point Iíd had enough of lying down under the car so opted to move onto the next task for a bit.

Next update following shortly - rear suspension rebuild

Last edited by Willsy309; 27-08-2018 at 03:00 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Willsy309 For This Useful Post:
Cookies (27-08-2018), JR1982 (27-08-2018), lincolndanny (27-08-2018), Squadrone Rosso (27-08-2018)
Old 27-08-2018, 03:27 PM   #319
Willsy309
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Next up then, rear suspension time.

Having removed the rear beam assembly from the car there was no way that it would be going back on in the same condition.

Que a complete strip down

Itís just as well that I did strip it down as a common item of wear found on 205/309s (or indeed many Peugeotís/Citroenís of the same era using a Torsion bar setup) is the bearings, when they get so tired and dry they tend to collapse and just eat their way into the shafts causing excess play, camber and inevitably an MOT fail & a big fat repair bill

The left shaft here being particularly bad where the outer bearing sits

Trailing arms were completely stripped down. Both the main shafts and the hub pins are to be replaced

Removing the old bearings from the main suspension tube was next. Outer ones have no easy way of removal so to begin the inner race was easily flicked out with a screwdriver as it it was obliterated anyway, then that just left the outer casing to shift.

Many guides online seem to suggest bludgeoning it with an old screwdriver so that it collapses in on itself and will simply come out.
I felt that there was less control with that method and more chance of leaving some damage on the tube itself. Therefore with a dremmel and mini grinding disk I carefully cut through the bearing outer casing until a hairline crack appeared. Then it was easy with a light tap to crack the casing and pull it out with ease

The inner bearing was easy enough to remove as itís situated some way inside the main tube. Inserting one of those old worn shafts which were now pressed out of the trailing arms are useful in that their diameter is small enough to sit against the bearing then with a piece of wood tap the bearing out through the tube (not the best description unfortunately, but equally impossible to take a pic of)

Next up was to clean the splined areas of the tube and the trailing arms where the torsion bars sit in. Again handy dremmel and mini wire wheel attachment works wonders

Then it was off for blasting, zinc under coat and powder coat for most of the parts

I gathered together other bits which were originally zinc plated and sent those off to ElectroplateUK too

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Willsy309 For This Useful Post:
Cookies (27-08-2018), JR1982 (27-08-2018), Sicskate (27-08-2018)
Old 27-08-2018, 03:56 PM   #320
Willsy309
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Gradually parts then started arriving back from being powder coated.

First up was the torsion bars. I wanted as close a match as possible to the original deeper (red oxide?) shade

The eagle eyed or those with a Pug/Cit background may have noticed that the bars are originally are marked with a yellow ring. One bar has 1 ring, the other has two. I donít know if thereís any difference other than as a drivers/passenger marking about it, however continuing with the attention to detail I measured the rings and their positions before sending them for powder coat, and replicated them upon return

The next bit is where the dampers sit in and is a link between the main tube and the rear mounting bushes. The factory finish for these I couldnít find anywhere to replicate as itís like a zinc leaf finish (again I havenít got a clue how to describe it otherwise) anyway best I could do was a light grey metallic. The silver looked a bit cheap

Trailing arms finished in satin black and reassembled next with new shafts & pins

The main tube also satin black at the ends with a JCB yellow centre tube. It looks bright in this pic due to the flash but the darker JCB yellow is much closer to the original appearance.

In order to refit the inner bearings to the tube I needed something a bit less archaic. I decided to use the wooden handle of an old gardening tool and used a hole cutter to create some pvc discs to fit on the end which were tough enough to tap the bearing in, yet wouldnít damage it

Bearing sat on top

The other brackets and bits and bobs also returned from ElectroplateUK

And then I started to fit it all together. Iíll setup the height when itís back on the car but for now itís sitting pretty in the corner of the garage

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Willsy309 For This Useful Post:
Ben_W (27-08-2018), Cookies (27-08-2018), DC240S (27-08-2018), JR1982 (27-08-2018), lincolndanny (27-08-2018), Sicskate (31-08-2018), SunnyBoi (27-08-2018), VeiRoN (27-08-2018), wrxmania (27-08-2018)