Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection Sponsored by DODO JUICE Light Fantastic , Banana Armour, Orange Crush, Rainforest Rub, Purple Haze - www.dodojuice.com

Old 18-07-2018, 09:56 AM   #1
tomstephens89
Unwashed Member

Storing wax in this hot weather?

Hi all, new member here, near Basingstoke, Hampshire. Long time detailing/cleaning addict for my own cars as well as friends and families etc...

With the recent hot weather I have a question about storing my waxes. So far I have 3 waxes, Autoglym HD Wax (6 years old?), Autoglym Ultra HD Wax and most recently Bilt Hamber Double Speed wax.

I keep all my detailing products in the garage in a plastic box. Safe to say it gets pretty warm in the garage... Uncomfortable kind of warm for that matter.

I opened my tub of Autoglym UHD wax the other day and it had the consistency of gloop. Like a moistrising cream rather than a hard wax, almost looked like there was a slight liquidy texture on the top. The HD wax was also very very soft, but not like the UHD stuf.... My bilt hamber wax is so new to me it hasn't get sat out in the garage for ages, but even at room temperature its harder than the AG stuff.

So heres the question. The safety sheets for the AG wax give a melting point of 40c. I expect the garage has been in the low 30's recently and this can't be good for wax can it?

I am considering buying a small fridge for the garage. I have currently moved my wax to my indoor fridge as in this heat, even at room temperature in the house its looking like goop.

Any issues storing this wax in the fridge at 5c? Or do I need to run a seperate fridge at say 10c?

I am under the impression as long as it doesn't freeze, then im good. And this will be better than letting it get really hot.

Thanks
Tom
tomstephens89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2018, 10:01 AM   #2
Soul boy 68
DW's car of the day man & Moderator

Thanked 6,010 Times in 4,185 Posts
Garage
Keep them in the fridge to help get back the correct consistency, and welcome along to the forum

DW-sig11_zpssk1jzkyq.jpg
Soul boy 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2018, 11:26 AM   #3
tomstephens89
Unwashed Member

Thanks and fridge all the time or just before use?
Old 18-07-2018, 12:36 PM   #4
Soul boy 68
DW's car of the day man & Moderator

Thanked 6,010 Times in 4,185 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomstephens89 View Post
Thanks and fridge all the time or just before use?
Personally I'd fridge until the weather cools off.

DW-sig11_zpssk1jzkyq.jpg
Soul boy 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2018, 01:38 PM   #5
Mikej857
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,199 Times in 768 Posts
Garage
I keep all my waxes in there own dedicated fridge and simply pull the one out I'm going to use at the start of the wash process so it's back at room temperature by the time I need to use it

The dedicated fridge can be seen as a but ott and not everyone has the space to do

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Mikej857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 05:03 PM   #6
tomstephens89
Unwashed Member

I have decided to just keep my waxes on the concrete floor of the garage in the darkest place possible. The AG UHD wax is still sat there with a cream like consistency but what can you do besides use a fridge in this weather?

After all it sits on shelves, in the back of vans, lorries etc before its sold. Surely this must be fine?
Old 25-07-2018, 05:12 PM   #7
Stoner
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomstephens89 View Post
I have decided to just keep my waxes on the concrete floor of the garage in the darkest place possible. The AG UHD wax is still sat there with a cream like consistency but what can you do besides use a fridge in this weather?

After all it sits on shelves, in the back of vans, lorries etc before its sold. Surely this must be fine?
I agree this should be fine. I keep my waxes in a sealed plastic food container, under the workbench, in the garage and have had no issues at all in this heat.
Stoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 07:05 PM   #8
Jonnybbad

Thanked 1,033 Times in 767 Posts
Garage
i keep mine under my stairs at home but in this unusually warm weather iv'e had to transfer mine to the fridge and that's where they will stay until it cools down.personally have alot of special waxes that cost a few £££££ so needs must
Jonnybbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 08:33 PM   #9
pxr5

Garage
I have eliquid stuff stored in the freezer already. If I started putting waxes in the fridge too my missus would be doubly hacked off lol. I suppose a fridge in the garage would be an option. Maybe one of really small beer fridges.
pxr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 10:44 PM   #10
Jonnybbad

Thanked 1,033 Times in 767 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pxr5 View Post
I have eliquid stuff stored in the freezer already. If I started putting waxes in the fridge too my missus would be doubly hacked off lol. I suppose a fridge in the garage would be an option. Maybe one of really small beer fridges.
Yeah me to vg and nicotine but then that's for the Mrs so she can't moan 🤣🤣🤣

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Jonnybbad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wax melting storage