Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Lifestyle > The Motoring Zone > The Tuning & Maintenance Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Tuning & Maintenance Zone Need to fix or need to go faster, here is the forum to cater for either.

Old 31-08-2016, 03:47 PM   #1
steelghost
Detailing at Double Speed

Thanked 2,768 Times in 2,071 Posts
Garage
Torque on wheel bolts

Hi all

Got all four alloys replaced under warranty not long ago () and this bank holiday weekend I got around to taking one of them off to clean it and apply Carpro Dlux. I used a 600mm breaker bar to "crack" the nuts and there was a moderate amount of effort needed.

Anyway, I undid all the nuts, got the wheel off, cleaned and dried it, applied the Dlux and left the wheel resting face down but with the tyre resting on some chocks of wood (the face wasn't actually touching the ground!). Next day I put the wheel back on, torqued the nuts to spec using my torque wrench. Then I spot some marks on the inside of the wheel barrel. I can't get to them properly with the wheel on the car so it has to come off again, and this time I noticed it was barely any effort at all to "crack" the nuts.

So my question: Did the garage over-tighten the wheel nuts when they put the new wheels on, or have I somehow just not tightened them up properly?

The spec'd torque is 103 Nm / 76 ft lb.
steelghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 03:55 PM   #2
jimi_boom
Sponge Jockey

They have probably just put them back on with an impact wrench that isn't a torque wrench. Which will mean yes they have over torqued them.
jimi_boom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jimi_boom For This Useful Post:
steelghost (31-08-2016)
Old 31-08-2016, 04:05 PM   #3
insanejim69
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
As above, probably put on with an impact gun. Usually 110nm is more than plenty for most cars. Or it could be that they put the studs/nuts on dry, instead of popping some copper grease on the threads and on the inner wheel face and the hub face too. Putting them on dry could have caused them to start seizing and this is maybe why it was so difficult to remove, dependant how difficult they were to come off.

James

insanejim69 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to insanejim69 For This Useful Post:
steelghost (31-08-2016)
Old 31-08-2016, 04:13 PM   #4
PugIain
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 2,780 Times in 2,166 Posts
Garage
I've had problems with garages over the years over torquing locking bolts.
Peugeot ones are crap, so I always just replace them with normal bolts (in fact I've just done them on my 508 after a locking bolt buggered up when I undid it. It needed heating up and an easy out winding in to it)
When you've got the little caps over the top you can't tell if they're locking ones or not.
Besides, no one nicks wheels nowadays. Too many cars have tilt sensors so would scream their **** off if someone jacked them up.
I always ask when it goes in for tyres or a service for them not to over tighten them, I've no idea how tight I do them up but I've not lost a wheel yet.
PugIain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PugIain For This Useful Post:
steelghost (31-08-2016)
Old 31-08-2016, 04:33 PM   #5
steelghost

Garage
Thanks for the reassurance. I had visions of the wheel coming loose on a motorway!

As an aside I read you shouldn't grease the threads because it could lead to over tightening? I've put copper slip on the hub mating face anyway.
Old 31-08-2016, 04:57 PM   #6
insanejim69

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelghost View Post
Thanks for the reassurance. I had visions of the wheel coming loose on a motorway!

As an aside I read you shouldn't grease the threads because it could lead to over tightening? I've put copper slip on the hub mating face anyway.
Well all I know is at work its a mandatory safety issue to make sure the threads are oiled before any wheel nuts are put on. Failure to do so leads to possible dismissal. We got a whole safety presentation at work on how all bus threads must be oiled before wheel nuts are tightened, it then goes into many scientific reasons and safety reasons etc, most of which I cannot remember though. lol. But for a car yes 100-120nm isn't much of an issue compared to 670-750NM

James

insanejim69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 05:44 PM   #7
steelghost

Garage
Yep a bit different on a bus! I strongly suspect your employer knows the difference between wet and dry torque specs though (or even different specs depending on the type of thread lubrication used). From what I can tell the torque spec for wheel bolts in your average car handbook is a dry torque (and hence liable to stretch or snap bolts if applied to a lubricated thread).
Old 31-08-2016, 05:58 PM   #8
Caledoniandream

It's fine to use a light machine oil on the treads, but mostimes unnecessary.
Don't put any on the conical surface.
DON'T use copaslip, or any other metal containing grease / anti seize paste on mating faces.
You introduce another metal on already two different metals, causing an even higher change on electrochemical corrosion.
Only use silicon grease on mating surfaces.

You will find out next time when you undo your wheel nuts, they will make a cracking noise.
This is because the wheelnuts will settle in position.
Keep using your torque wrench when you put your wheels back on, and if it comes back from garage or tyre fitter, undo the wheelnuts slightly and torque them up to the correct setting.

Always wind your torque wrench off, after you used them.
This makes your torque wrench to stay longer calibrated.

Last edited by Caledoniandream; 31-08-2016 at 06:52 PM.
Caledoniandream is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caledoniandream For This Useful Post:
insanejim69 (31-08-2016), steelghost (31-08-2016)
Old 31-08-2016, 08:10 PM   #9
possul

Thanked 1,038 Times in 881 Posts
Garage
Lube for torque tightening is a must for some things and imo would be fine for a wheel nut/bolt
Without lube it creates binding on mating threads so lube ensures it gets to the required torque on the mating faces
Ive greased threads on some of my other cars without issue as it's the force between the wheel and the nut/bolt that keeps it tight, not the threads

I do however leave everything dry and go round a few times and re check them
possul is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to possul For This Useful Post:
insanejim69 (31-08-2016), steelghost (31-08-2016)