Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection Sponsored by DODO JUICE Light Fantastic , Banana Armour, Orange Crush, Rainforest Rub, Purple Haze - www.dodojuice.com

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-04-2017, 08:03 PM   #1
pajd
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 815
Thanks: 570
Thanked 213 Times in 172 Posts
Sealant Over Autoglym SRP?

Hi just wondering if I can do the following?

Decontaminate the car then use Werkstat Prime, Autoglym srp and then seal it with Zaino?
My point being can I apply sealant over the srp? Or do I need to remove the polish residue first? If so what should I use?

Thanks!
pajd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 08:17 PM   #2
Frog
Washmitt Meister
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 176
Thanks: 90
Thanked 35 Times in 28 Posts
You can put a sealant over srp, in fact autoglym produce one called extra gloss protection. I can't see any reason why you couldn't put anyone else's make on top of it.
Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frog For This Useful Post:
pajd (23-04-2017)
Old 21-04-2017, 08:19 PM   #3
fatdazza
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Cambridge
Posts: 2,974
Thanks: 393
Thanked 1,367 Times in 981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pajd View Post
Hi just wondering if I can do the following?

Decontaminate the car then use Werkstat Prime, Autoglym srp and then seal it with Zaino?
My point being can I apply sealant over the srp? Or do I need to remove the polish residue first? If so what should I use?

Thanks!
SRP will remove the prime.
fatdazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 08:27 PM   #4
pajd
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 815
Thanks: 570
Thanked 213 Times in 172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdazza View Post
SRP will remove the prime.
I'd be mostly using the Prime to clean the paintwork. Not too worried about the protection it offers as the sealant would do that
pajd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 08:27 PM   #5
pajd
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 815
Thanks: 570
Thanked 213 Times in 172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog View Post
You can put a sealant over srp, in fact autoglym produce one called extra gloss protection. I can't see any reason why you couldn't put anyone else's make on top of it.
Thanks
pajd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2017, 06:51 PM   #6
Bigpikle
Distinguished Detailer
 
Bigpikle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Riding my bike somewhere...
Posts: 15,667
Thanks: 1,172
Thanked 2,800 Times in 1,841 Posts
SRP & Prime will basically be duplication. SRP is an effective paint cleaner, just like Prime, so using both after each other will just do the same thing.

If you need the filling then use SRP, but if its mostly good cleaning that you're worried about then stick with Prime only. Waist of time, effort and money to use both.

You'll have no problem with any wax or sealant after those really. Some may say you'll get slightly less durability if not applied direct to clean paint, but they'll work anyway.
Bigpikle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigpikle For This Useful Post:
pajd (22-04-2017)
Old 22-04-2017, 07:16 PM   #7
Sun_King
Sponge Jockey
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 49
Thanks: 5
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pajd View Post
Hi just wondering if I can do the following?

Decontaminate the car then use Werkstat Prime, Autoglym srp and then seal it with Zaino?
My point being can I apply sealant over the srp? Or do I need to remove the polish residue first? If so what should I use?

Thanks!
In short - yes.
Sun_King is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sun_King For This Useful Post:
pajd (22-04-2017)
Old 22-04-2017, 08:18 PM   #8
pajd
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 815
Thanks: 570
Thanked 213 Times in 172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigpikle View Post
SRP & Prime will basically be duplication. SRP is an effective paint cleaner, just like Prime, so using both after each other will just do the same thing.

If you need the filling then use SRP, but if its mostly good cleaning that you're worried about then stick with Prime only. Waist of time, effort and money to use both.

You'll have no problem with any wax or sealant after those really. Some may say you'll get slightly less durability if not applied direct to clean paint, but they'll work anyway.
Cheers. Didnt know srp had cleaning capabilities too (never used it before)
pajd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2017, 08:27 PM   #9
Bigpikle
Distinguished Detailer
 
Bigpikle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Riding my bike somewhere...
Posts: 15,667
Thanks: 1,172
Thanked 2,800 Times in 1,841 Posts
SRP is a great product and pretty easy to use, but make sure you dont over apply it or work it too long, as it will go dusty. Personally I would go with Prime as its really easy and pretty foolproof - again 'less is more' - and it leaves a great finish.
Bigpikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2017, 08:57 PM   #10
pajd
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 815
Thanks: 570
Thanked 213 Times in 172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigpikle View Post
SRP is a great product and pretty easy to use, but make sure you dont over apply it or work it too long, as it will go dusty. Personally I would go with Prime as its really easy and pretty foolproof - again 'less is more' - and it leaves a great finish.
Would the srp not give more of a polish affect though? Car is white by the way.
Ive never used srp before but was given a bottle and would like to try it out for my summer prep
pajd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
DTO Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
DTO Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors