Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > General > Detailing Chat
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Detailing Chat Got a detailing related question that doesn't fit in any other section? Post it in here. Sponsored by CleanYourCar

Old 16-05-2018, 08:13 PM   #1
Machuga78
Unwashed Member

Micro Marring Problem

So, I started to remove the swirl marks from the rear quarter of my car over the weekend using CG VSS with an Orange Hex pad and DAS Pro+ DA. After completing rear quarter and following the instructions on the bottle the paintwork was looking a lot glossier. However, having looked at closer in the sun later on it looks like I have left lots of tiny swirls marks which I have since found out is micro marring. I'm just wondering what the next steps are to resolving this and preventing it happening in the future so some advice would be great.

Would refining the paintwork with Menzerna 3800 and a CG green Hex pad help as I have this in the garage?

My car is a VW Mk7 GTD in Tornado Red.
Machuga78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2018, 01:08 PM   #2
lowejackson
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 2,961 Times in 2,515 Posts
It would be worth trying the Menzerna with the green pad. I cannot keep up with the Menz range so I am assuming it is a mild polish. Just do a test spot and then review to see if things have improved
lowejackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2018, 01:12 PM   #3
ENEP
Washmitt Meister

Menz 3800 is a final polish and perfect for the job.
The green hex might be too aggressive however.
ENEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 01:00 AM   #4
BradleyW
PC Perfectionist

Scholl S30 and a White Hex pad.
BradleyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 07:56 PM   #5
Frog
Washmitt Meister

The has been quite a lot written about VSS leaving marring and microscratches, it appears that it needs quite a lot of working to get the abrasives to break down to give a decent finish. A finer finishing polish on a soft pad would probably refine the finish to a good std.
Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 08:02 PM   #6
westerman
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Obvious question to ask I suppose is, did you do a full decon, clay and panel wipe to get the paint really clean before you started?

Not wanting to tell you how to suck eggs or anything but it is a common mistake many make and if you pick up any piece of contaminant, be it embedded grime or tar, it can leave more swirls.

Harry
westerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 08:16 PM   #7
stangalang
king of the flexonian

Thanked 10,484 Times in 4,898 Posts
Garage
Yes of course, an orange hex pad is a cutting pad and will always leave a finish that can be improved. So a further refining step is required. DO NOT use the green pad, that isn't a finishing pad, and in truth leaves a worse finish than the orange
stangalang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 08:30 PM   #8
BradleyW
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangalang View Post
Yes of course, an orange hex pad is a cutting pad and will always leave a finish that can be improved. So a further refining step is required. DO NOT use the green pad, that isn't a finishing pad, and in truth leaves a worse finish than the orange
I've used the Orange Hex an awful lot and I was able to achieve an LSP ready finish when combined with Scholl S17+.
BradleyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 08:39 PM   #9
stangalang
king of the flexonian

Thanked 10,484 Times in 4,898 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyW View Post
I've used the Orange Hex an awful lot and I was able to achieve an LSP ready finish when combined with Scholl S17+.
That doesn't mean it couldn't be improved, it just meant you were happy with it. That isn't the same thing.
The orange hex pad has its own mechanical cut so it will not finish truly clean. Harder paint will respond brilliantly to it, but there are still gains to be had
stangalang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stangalang For This Useful Post:
chongo (14-06-2018), suds (14-06-2018)
Old 14-06-2018, 09:12 PM   #10
chongo
"Professor"

Thanked 4,756 Times in 2,895 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machuga78 View Post
So, I started to remove the swirl marks from the rear quarter of my car over the weekend using CG VSS with an Orange Hex pad and DAS Pro+ DA. After completing rear quarter and following the instructions on the bottle the paintwork was looking a lot glossier. However, having looked at closer in the sun later on it looks like I have left lots of tiny swirls marks which I have since found out is micro marring. I'm just wondering what the next steps are to resolving this and preventing it happening in the future so some advice would be great.

Would refining the paintwork with Menzerna 3800 and a CG green Hex pad help as I have this in the garage?

My car is a VW Mk7 GTD in Tornado Red.
Your next step after you have used a panel wipe to remove any polishing residue, is grab yourself a white hex polishing pad and paired with 3800 or 3500 will remove the haze
chongo is offline   Reply With Quote