Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > General > Detailing Chat
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Detailing Chat Got a detailing related question that doesn't fit in any other section? Post it in here. Sponsored by CleanYourCar

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16-05-2018, 08:13 PM   #1
Machuga78
Unwashed Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Micro Marring Problem

So, I started to remove the swirl marks from the rear quarter of my car over the weekend using CG VSS with an Orange Hex pad and DAS Pro+ DA. After completing rear quarter and following the instructions on the bottle the paintwork was looking a lot glossier. However, having looked at closer in the sun later on it looks like I have left lots of tiny swirls marks which I have since found out is micro marring. I'm just wondering what the next steps are to resolving this and preventing it happening in the future so some advice would be great.

Would refining the paintwork with Menzerna 3800 and a CG green Hex pad help as I have this in the garage?

My car is a VW Mk7 GTD in Tornado Red.
Machuga78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2018, 01:08 PM   #2
lowejackson
Distinguished Detailer
 
lowejackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 9,091
Thanks: 623
Thanked 2,961 Times in 2,515 Posts
It would be worth trying the Menzerna with the green pad. I cannot keep up with the Menz range so I am assuming it is a mild polish. Just do a test spot and then review to see if things have improved
lowejackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2018, 01:12 PM   #3
ENEP
Washmitt Meister
 
ENEP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Malmö:Sweden
Posts: 163
Thanks: 16
Thanked 71 Times in 64 Posts
Menz 3800 is a final polish and perfect for the job.
The green hex might be too aggressive however.
ENEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 01:00 AM   #4
BradleyW
PC Perfectionist
 
BradleyW's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 422
Thanks: 380
Thanked 71 Times in 55 Posts
Scholl S30 and a White Hex pad.
BradleyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 07:56 PM   #5
Frog
Washmitt Meister
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 267
Thanks: 183
Thanked 58 Times in 48 Posts
The has been quite a lot written about VSS leaving marring and microscratches, it appears that it needs quite a lot of working to get the abrasives to break down to give a decent finish. A finer finishing polish on a soft pad would probably refine the finish to a good std.
Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 08:02 PM   #6
westerman
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
westerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Lincolnshire
Posts: 923
Thanks: 396
Thanked 299 Times in 169 Posts
Obvious question to ask I suppose is, did you do a full decon, clay and panel wipe to get the paint really clean before you started?

Not wanting to tell you how to suck eggs or anything but it is a common mistake many make and if you pick up any piece of contaminant, be it embedded grime or tar, it can leave more swirls.

Harry
westerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 08:16 PM   #7
stangalang
king of the flexonian
 
stangalang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: saddleworth, greater manchester
Posts: 12,121
Thanks: 7,587
Thanked 10,484 Times in 4,898 Posts
Garage
Yes of course, an orange hex pad is a cutting pad and will always leave a finish that can be improved. So a further refining step is required. DO NOT use the green pad, that isn't a finishing pad, and in truth leaves a worse finish than the orange
stangalang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 08:30 PM   #8
BradleyW
PC Perfectionist
 
BradleyW's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 422
Thanks: 380
Thanked 71 Times in 55 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangalang View Post
Yes of course, an orange hex pad is a cutting pad and will always leave a finish that can be improved. So a further refining step is required. DO NOT use the green pad, that isn't a finishing pad, and in truth leaves a worse finish than the orange
I've used the Orange Hex an awful lot and I was able to achieve an LSP ready finish when combined with Scholl S17+.
BradleyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 08:39 PM   #9
stangalang
king of the flexonian
 
stangalang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: saddleworth, greater manchester
Posts: 12,121
Thanks: 7,587
Thanked 10,484 Times in 4,898 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyW View Post
I've used the Orange Hex an awful lot and I was able to achieve an LSP ready finish when combined with Scholl S17+.
That doesn't mean it couldn't be improved, it just meant you were happy with it. That isn't the same thing.
The orange hex pad has its own mechanical cut so it will not finish truly clean. Harder paint will respond brilliantly to it, but there are still gains to be had
stangalang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stangalang For This Useful Post:
chongo (14-06-2018), suds (14-06-2018)
Old 14-06-2018, 09:12 PM   #10
chongo
"Professor"
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 7,756
Thanks: 5,864
Thanked 4,756 Times in 2,895 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machuga78 View Post
So, I started to remove the swirl marks from the rear quarter of my car over the weekend using CG VSS with an Orange Hex pad and DAS Pro+ DA. After completing rear quarter and following the instructions on the bottle the paintwork was looking a lot glossier. However, having looked at closer in the sun later on it looks like I have left lots of tiny swirls marks which I have since found out is micro marring. I'm just wondering what the next steps are to resolving this and preventing it happening in the future so some advice would be great.

Would refining the paintwork with Menzerna 3800 and a CG green Hex pad help as I have this in the garage?

My car is a VW Mk7 GTD in Tornado Red.
Your next step after you have used a panel wipe to remove any polishing residue, is grab yourself a white hex polishing pad and paired with 3800 or 3500 will remove the haze
chongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
DTO Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
DTO Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors