Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 11-02-2018, 03:17 PM   #1
Steve_6R
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Mk1 Focus Estate Diary

Afternoon all!

Cast your minds back about 14 months and I made a project thread for my MG ZR - http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...64#post5220064

Well I ended up scrapping the car last july in a similar state to the first picture (all the others have been deleted for some reason) as there was just too much to do for the MOT, and at the time my partner and I were saving for a house, so the money was needed elsewhere.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago and said partner and I have split up, so obviously a car is needed. I wanted something cheap to run, and practical.

I was happy saving while waiting for the right car to come along but a mate sent me this advert over facebook

I went that evening and bought it for £800. I would have paid the £850 if he refused to budge!

This is it a few days after I bought it;

So what have I found? Well the clocks say its on 54k, but the seller has said that it had new clocks at 30k so realistically its more like 85k.

It doesn't like starting in the cold, and having had a closer look at the battery there's a sticker with 2009 on it, so that will be replaced, and the auxiliary belt will be changed too as it's squealing a little.

It's got a decent length MOT on it but it won't pass with the rust kept as it is. There is a hole in the passenger side sill, and the drivers side isn't far off. The car came with 2 replacement sills and I'm going to look at getting it all sorted. If anyone knows roughly what I'll be looking at paying to get done I'd greatly appreciate it!

Pictures of the rust!

Other than that it just need a little tidying up. A few marks here and there that I'll get better pictures of when the time comes.

Last edited by Steve_6R; 27-03-2018 at 09:39 PM.
Steve_6R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve_6R For This Useful Post:
Cookies (11-02-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 03:28 PM   #2
Steve_6R
Washmitt Meister

Garage
So first call of duty is to give it a wash.

I don't have loads of pictures as we were fighting the rapidly worsening weather!

I snowfoamed with AutoFinesse Toffee Avalanche, and then 2BM with Krystal Kleen Choccy Wash (stuff smells amazing!)

Used Autofinesse Iron Out on the wheels next, and then as the weather was closing in, just to get some protection on the car, we used Sonax BSD and finished for the day.

Only got pictures of some of the bleeding on the wheels!

Fortunately the weather was far nicer the next day, so after a quick wash, I used Autoglym Super Resin Polish to bring a little shine to the paint. It came out really well, and once I cleaned the glass with some AF glass cleaner and Autobrite Endurance tyre gel it looked rather good!

And thats where I'm up to now. I've got a rear wiper to go on as its pretty much useless, and a new Ghia badge on order as one is missing.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by Steve_6R; 27-03-2018 at 09:40 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve_6R For This Useful Post:
Cookies (11-02-2018), Jmax (12-02-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 08:30 PM   #3
gt-2047
Unwashed Member

Looking forward to this (these threads are the best)! These cars are very under-rated!
gt-2047 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gt-2047 For This Useful Post:
Steve_6R (11-02-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 09:14 PM   #4
Steve_6R
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt-2047 View Post
Looking forward to this (these threads are the best)! These cars are very under-rated!
Absolutely! I love it already. The boot swallows stuff and I'm seeing well over 60mpg on runs.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:38 PM   #5
Cookies
Distinguished Detailer + Dw Reviewer

Thanked 4,759 Times in 3,489 Posts
Garage
I have a Mk1 1.8 tdci Edge, and I love it.

I had the cold starting problem too, so replaced the battery and glow plugs. Made no difference. I did a bit of reading on-line and it turned out to be the starter motor - it had basically got itself bunged up with crap, and wasn't spinning fast enough to turn the engine over. Got it refurbed for 40 quid, and job done.

Check the front passenger side carpet to see if it's wet. If it is, there's water coming in through the pollen filter. Really poor design. Basically you need to seal the passengers side scuttle panel to the windscreen with silicon or something similar. I bought a new kit, with a bitumen strip from ford and it lasted about a week. I might look at sikaflex, although it's serious stuff.

They're a great handling car. Looking forward to your updates.

Cheers

Cooks
Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cookies For This Useful Post:
Starbuck88 (29-03-2018), Steve_6R (11-02-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 09:58 PM   #6
JR1982
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,036 Times in 835 Posts
Garage
Looking forward this, now subscribed.
JR1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JR1982 For This Useful Post:
Steve_6R (11-02-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 10:08 PM   #7
Steve_6R
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookies View Post
I have a Mk1 1.8 tdci Edge, and I love it.

I had the cold starting problem too, so replaced the battery and glow plugs. Made no difference. I did a bit of reading on-line and it turned out to be the starter motor - it had basically got itself bunged up with crap, and wasn't spinning fast enough to turn the engine over. Got it refurbed for 40 quid, and job done.

Check the front passenger side carpet to see if it's wet. If it is, there's water coming in through the pollen filter. Really poor design. Basically you need to seal the passengers side scuttle panel to the windscreen with silicon or something similar. I bought a new kit, with a bitumen strip from ford and it lasted about a week. I might look at sikaflex, although it's serious stuff.

They're a great handling car. Looking forward to your updates.

Cheers

Cooks
Ah that's interesting, did you find it was ok starting after it had been used, and just an issue when it was left for a while?

Thanks for the water tip too, I'll have a look when its next raining - doubt I'll have to wait long!
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve_6R For This Useful Post:
Cookies (11-02-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 10:43 PM   #8
Cookies
Distinguished Detailer + Dw Reviewer

Thanked 4,759 Times in 3,489 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_6R View Post
Ah that's interesting, did you find it was ok starting after it had been used, and just an issue when it was left for a while?

Thanks for the water tip too, I'll have a look when its next raining - doubt I'll have to wait long!
As soon as it started once, it would be absolutely fine until left for a long period of time, or overnight.
Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 05:57 PM   #9
Nick-ST
Orbital Oracle

Garage
Subscribed. As the finder of this car I am looking forward to seeing the progress
Nick-ST is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nick-ST For This Useful Post:
Cookies (18-02-2018)
Old 12-02-2018, 07:37 PM   #10
packard
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

I had the petrol version 2.0 in a Ghia estate. Has the speedo been replaced know issue on these even got w watch dog entry on it and ford folded on repair bills around it
packard is offline   Reply With Quote