Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 12-02-2018, 09:54 AM   #181
williamsclio1
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by G105ALY View Post
I’d be grateful if you could let me know when this comes
Up for sale as id be very interested. Thanks Aly
No problem mate, I will contact you as soon as its listed.
williamsclio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 09:57 AM   #182
williamsclio1

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_R View Post
Nice little update David.

Cup looks great with the fusso coat working nicely!

I stuck Rainsport 2's on my 182 Cup a few years ago - absolutely hated them in the dry - sidewalls too soft. There was so much movement in them when cornering it spoilt the whole car.
I heard the 3's were an improvement though.

Keeping subscribed for 6 months time ;-)
Okay thanks mate, yeah heard some other stories like that with regard to the tyres, but as I don't really use the car and she drives it gently we should be okay, but I will report back my findings as I am sure I will take it out at some point.
Old 12-02-2018, 02:54 PM   #183
williamsclio1

Garage
I have actually forgot to mention, and its important part of keeping a car diary. Back in November I had a calendar reminder that the Auxiliary belt was due (three years since it was last done, when I first purchased the car pretty much) So I dropped it in to Dan Potter to be done as well as a fresh MOT, so thats that sorted for another 3 years and still 2 more years until the cam belt is due to be changed.

Last edited by williamsclio1; 12-02-2018 at 07:55 PM.
Old 11-05-2018, 05:07 PM   #184
williamsclio1

Garage
11/05/2018

So, well this is a new one on me and I have never felt so angry about a situation of this nature.

Anyway where to start, so on Saturday the 16th Feb (day before a track day at Malory) I was dropping my partners friend home and the car broke down, on getting out the car I could see that the auxiliary belt failed and looked like it wrapped itself round the cambelt. Initially frustrated as I had only just had this replaced a few months back as per my last post and for those that don’t know if the aux belt goes it takes out the cambelt its buy buy engine. So as you can image a VERY bad start to the weekend but it doesn’t end there……

I rang the breakdown service advising them I would need to be towed and they informed me that it would take around 3-5 hours to get a breakdown vehicle out. I had to drive my track Clio that afternoon to Worcester as I was staying there before heading to Malory the next morning. I had no choice but to leave the car where it was and arrange for a friend of mine to collect it Sunday evening.

So this is how it was left at the side of pretty busy road:

Now, at around midday on the Sunday whilst I was at the track having a few running issues with my Cup, I took a call off my mate to tell me some bad news. Long story short some absolute bottom feeders off life broke in to the Clio smashing the drivers side window, breaking in to the boot, taking out the jack and then stole the wheels off the car as well as sat nav in the glove box and my very expensive walking boots. Leaving the car in this state, frustratingly they damaged the wings on the car when lifting it up the absolute *******s.

My mate who called me arranged for another friend of ours to collect the car for me and get it back to his unit.

Back at the unit in a sorry bloody state.

As you can imagine I was absolute livid at the track day not being able to do anything and knowing that the police went to my house to inform my wife of the bad news. Anyway I thought to myself nothing I can do about that now lets try enjoy the rest of the day at the track, so finally sorted the running issues on my Cup and had a good battle with my mate for a few short sessions,

Then after leaving to go out for a session towards the end of the day I was black flagged, I went to see the martial and asked why, he said remove your helmet and listen to the sound of the car, Jesus something was horrible wrong, the bottom end had spun a shell and was running terribly.

Little clip of what I bottom end gone sounds like:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nLoOQ2YX6W0" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://youtu.be/nLoOQ2YX6W0

So I swapped the tyres back over to the road wheels and risked the 3.5 hour drive home and decided to stay off the motorway,

ANYWAY I got to Coventry City Football ground just as the engine full seized, with 30,000 supporters leaving the ground…..could this day get any worse well let me tell you yes yes it can, coppers came over to help me push the Clio in to safe position and it was at that point a copper pointed out to me that there was no MOT on the car……oh god all I needed, so I got a producer to prove I had insurance and was told I might get £50 fine and 3 points for no MOT.

So now what to do well the good news is I had full breakdown cover so I arrange to get a flat bed to take me home….however that took about 90 mis to arrive, adding to the frustrations of the day. We finally got it on the trailer,

and off we set home to what I though would be the end of a truly **** day….but oh no the day wasn’t quite done with me yet, after hour of driving the driver told me we had to swap to another flat bed to take me the me the rest of the way, he left me at a services and I had to then wait another 90 mins for the other driver to arrive, so once I got home which should of been 3.5 hours it had just clipped the 9 hour mark. Oh my what a day, so tired and absolutely gutted with two shafted Clios.

Soooo back to my wifes Clio…..

After a call the next morning to the insurance company they quickly agreed that the car didn’t need to be looked at as would be classed as a write off, I had to send photos of the car before the accident and after the accident, they agreed to give me £1300 however after an argument I got top book value at £1800 however after extras I basically took £1350 as I bought the car back off them for a couple of hundred.

Now it was time to get the car up and running again:

Engine - Sourced of a mate who did me a favour and gave me a low milage Cup engine for £50 (Ledge)
Clutch - £90 LUX oem clutch
Inlet - as needed 172 one not 182 (free as had spare)
Wheels and tyres - I had just bought some new tyres for her car to be fitted so had them spare and just had a spare set of Turinis freshly powered coated so no cost there other than fitting the tyres to the wheels - £20
Water pump - £35
Cambelt Kit and dephaser - £200
Auxiliary kit - £85
Gear box oil and engine oil - £75
Oil filter - £5
Wings - £60
Window - Free off a chap on the owners page
Exhaust - £150 ebay (Miltek) bargain
PopRivet Tool - £7 (need to refit the sills)
Coolant - £15
Engine swap - £350 but my mate got £200 storage and collection payment from the insurance company so only cost £150.

Total cost was £942 ish so made about £350 which with the money I put towards this cherub as my Cup is out of action.

So the collection started over a few weeks:

I replaced the window and detailed the inside of the car as there was glass everywhere and the ******s got mud everywhere from climbing through the car to the boot.

Then it was over to Jay to do the engine swap:

New engine in and all running, what a relief:

So how is the car looking now, well after hours and hours of effort and cleaning and plenty of help from friends she’s back up and running, the photos are before the exhaust was fitted but as you can see she’s back from the dead, needless to say my partner was so grateful.

Once last thing to mention is that as it wasn’t classed as a crash damage car the HPI report just shows its as a category N meaning it wouldn’t effect re-sale value as much (not that they are worth that much these days)

So happy to let them thieving ******s ruin a car I’ve put so much effort in to and a car my partner really likes.

Last edited by williamsclio1; 11-05-2018 at 05:25 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to williamsclio1 For This Useful Post:
Dan Clark (20-05-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 05:34 PM   #185
wish wash

Sweet Jesus. That's some bad luck. It's even worse when you've put blood sweat and tears into a car and others show such disrespect.
wish wash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wish wash For This Useful Post:
williamsclio1 (11-05-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 05:55 PM   #186
Imprezaworks
Sponge Jockey

What **** heads.
Imprezaworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 07:12 PM   #187
transtek

Jeez! You're a better man than me! Two on one day and all that headache I would have taken the insurance money and gone off Clios for life! Well done on turning such a bad situation around, albeit with a lot of blood, sweat and, I'm sure, more than a few tears!
Martin
transtek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to transtek For This Useful Post:
williamsclio1 (12-05-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 08:14 PM   #188
DC240S
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Looks absolutely superb now!
DC240S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DC240S For This Useful Post:
williamsclio1 (12-05-2018)
Old 12-05-2018, 01:00 AM   #189
williamsclio1

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by transtek View Post
Jeez! You're a better man than me! Two on one day and all that headache I would have taken the insurance money and gone off Clios for life! Well done on turning such a bad situation around, albeit with a lot of blood, sweat and, I'm sure, more than a few tears!
Martin
Sorted out a new engine with 438 cams so she’ll be back up and running again soon with close to 200bhp just need engine crane to swap it over.

Will be updating my 172 diary in the coming days. Need to get back out there.
The Following User Says Thank You to williamsclio1 For This Useful Post:
transtek (12-05-2018)
Old 12-05-2018, 07:03 AM   #190
Andyblue

Thanked 1,194 Times in 1,081 Posts
What a sh@t time mate - have read through and enjoyed what you've done with he motors, for some low life to think it's okay to thieve and wreck the car - swear filter on here would have a field day...

Glad you've got the Clio back running again and does look good and getting the Cup back to life
Andyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andyblue For This Useful Post:
williamsclio1 (16-05-2018)