Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 26-01-2018, 10:59 AM   #51
DC240S
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Excellent! The poles are a fantastic seat - I have them in my TT. Surprisingly more comfortable and supportive than you would think, even over long distances which you'll want for trips to the Continent.
DC240S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DC240S For This Useful Post:
MGJ92 (26-01-2018)
Old 04-02-2018, 05:54 PM   #52
MGJ92
Sponge Jockey

A couple of bits arrived last week, firstly some BC coil overs to lower the car slightly and sort the floaty suspension.

Some BH products to sort a few rust spots I've found

First job on the day was sorting the manifold on my mate's S2000 as it cracked whilst we were out for a hoon last month.

Manifold out

The crack

On to a couple of jobs on the M3. I agreed a discount with the body shop for providing the car with all the trim etc removed, I prefer to do this myself anyway as it give me a chance to inspect everything. Side skirt off on the side that is going to be resprayed off:

Apart from a lot of grime the condition of the sill was really good with no signs of rust at all, a massive relief! Any suggestions for how best to protect it before the skirt goes back on? I'm currently thinking a good coat of wax should do as they are in good shape?

Skirt needs a good clean

Another job was measuring up the mounts for the Recaros, this is the model my mate drew up, he's going to be making them this week for me.

Last job was all the door cards coming off

This was for two reasons - one to remove the exterior handle trim and gasket for spraying (new ones will be going on after to freshen them up) and also I've ordered some new black interior handles to get rid of the last bit of wooden trim. For some reason one was priced £15 and the rest £45 even though they are all pretty much identical, I can't believe I'm spending £150 on new door handles but it will look so much better all black!
MGJ92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 10:19 PM   #53
MGJ92
Sponge Jockey

A bit more progress, I removed the spoiler in prep for the paint work, it's being dropped off next Saturday.

Disgusting underneath! I know a lot of people like them without the spoilers but I much prefer it with personally.

Here's the corrosion I'm getting sorted on the boot lid (they are respraying the whole thing for me)

Outer door handles off, fresh ones on order for after spraying!

I picked up a black centre console to match the interior as mine had some scratches down the side, old one:

New one fitted, just needs a good clean to sort out the shine

Material ready to be machined, massive thanks to my mate for sorting these custom seat mounts for me!

One side before the extra material was taken off the bottom

Other side ready to be machined

Test fit, perfect!

The mounts will be going off to get anodised in black so they don't stand out in the car.
The Following User Says Thank You to MGJ92 For This Useful Post:
AS_BO (12-02-2018)
Old 19-02-2018, 11:37 AM   #54
MGJ92
Sponge Jockey

Not much progress to update on mine, it was dropped off at the body shop on Saturday for the paintwork. Can't wait to see it all done!

Once mine was dropped off we cracked on with my mate's matching 98'

Leaking rad removed

Old vs new

Mr Vanos seal kit going on (input cover has been done here already)

All done

Fresh rad in

SBM (21-03-2018)
Old 06-03-2018, 02:33 PM   #55
MGJ92
Sponge Jockey

Car is getting picking up from the body shop this afternoon, it was slightly delayed after the weather last week. I'll see it later and get some pictures to post!

Not much has moved on since the last update, main job was cleaning up the door cards and swapping the handles over. Look so much better!

Back door

Few more parts arrived, I've got a long list to fit now!

New pads

15mm wheel spacers for the front

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MGJ92 For This Useful Post:
Pauly.22 (06-03-2018), Sicskate (07-03-2018)
Old 06-03-2018, 08:03 PM   #56
Pauly.22
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Great work going on
Pauly.22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 08:49 PM   #57
isctony
PC Perfectionist

Garage
To protect the skirt, instead of using a wax, surely a coat of the BH Dynax UB would be a better longer lasting protection? Great thread by the way!
isctony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:39 PM   #58
MGJ92
Sponge Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by isctony View Post
To protect the skirt, instead of using a wax, surely a coat of the BH Dynax UB would be a better longer lasting protection? Great thread by the way!
Thanks. There's a couple of spots of corrosion that need taken back so I'll treat those with BH after, if the paints good then a good layer of wax should do the job?

Quick update, the car was picked up from the body shop last night. I asked them to take some photos during the process so I have something for the history of the car, here's what they sent:

On the surface it looked really good

Unfortunately on closer inspection there are several things that need sorted.

A small hair/thread that landed on the boot lid paint before it was lacquered:

A lacquer run on one mirror:

A massive mismatch between old vs new (this was supposed to be blended):

Masking tape marks on the rear arch:

Needless to say I was on the phone to the owner of the place first thing in the morning to discuss all of these, he handled it well and is sorting all of the issues for me. He's also offered a massively discounted price for adding the drivers side to the respray to remove any blending issues (the blend on the boot to drivers side wasn't on my original request). The car is now back with them and I'm expecting it back Monday/Tuesday.

The seat mounts have come back from being anodised and look fantastic!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MGJ92 For This Useful Post:
hoggers (07-03-2018), SBM (21-03-2018), scuba-phil (08-03-2018), Sicskate (07-03-2018)
Old 08-03-2018, 05:13 PM   #59
MadOnVaux!
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,089 Times in 1,021 Posts
That work is shocking really....who inspected it before it went out?

The hair on the bootlid....that's been lacquered over? yet the paint looks shocking, like it's full of swirls?

I hope it all gets sorted asap for you.
MadOnVaux! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 05:20 PM   #60
MGJ92
Sponge Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadOnVaux! View Post
That work is shocking really....who inspected it before it went out?

The hair on the bootlid....that's been lacquered over? yet the paint looks shocking, like it's full of swirls?

I hope it all gets sorted asap for you.
It seems they rushed it slightly as they were behind due to the snow last week unfortunately. In their defence the colour mismatch is no where near as bad in the daylight, those powerful LED lights literally show up everything.

Yep it had been lacquered over, the owner was pretty shocked and apologetic, they are sorting those bits with no questions asked.

The polish job isn't great, it's just been compounded so those are the swirls where it hasn't been refined. Not an issue as I will polish it and get it perfect myself anyway, once again the lights show up everything so 95% of people would be perfectly happy seeing it in daylight.
MadOnVaux! (11-03-2018)