Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Newbies, Rules & Announcements > Newbies & Introductions.....
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Newbies & Introductions..... Tell us something about you. Sponsored by Monza Car Care -

Old 02-10-2018, 10:11 AM   #1
Sif
Unwashed Member

Morning everyone

My name's Sif and i've just realised, after getting terrible value for my car in a part-ex deal, that car maintenance is as much external as it is internal.

I've just got a 17 plate Hyundai i40 estate, and the mrs has an 18 plate Golf and i'm looking to keep them in mint condition. I've purchased a used Karcher K2 (refurbished with 12 months guarantee) and a snow foam lance, and i've begun my purchases with some BH auto wheel, which is bloody brilliant.

Currently looking for a decent snow foam, and i'm considering the BH auto foam after seeing both the review on here and on Forensic Detailing's channel.

I can get pretty much an unlimited amount of AutoGlym's Pure Shampoo, but i was wondering if there's anything else anyone would recommend. I'm trying not to blow mortgage payments on this stuff as i can see from everyone's addiction on here that this can be an expensive game.

Both cars in the household are this colour, which i imagine is easier to keep clean?

Also, i'm using a cheap wash mitt, not a sponge. That's about it.

I don't own a microfibre towel, plush or otherwise, and i don't own a wheelbrush. I don't know how to use a polisher and the thought of waxing a car fills me with dread.

I'm in South Manchester if that means anything to anyone.

I look forward to arguing with you all very soon.
Sif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 10:19 AM   #2
cossiecol
Moderator & Reviewer

Thanked 3,230 Times in 1,840 Posts
Welcome
Old 02-10-2018, 10:21 AM   #3
WHIZZER
T-Cut King (admin)

Thanked 17,345 Times in 6,429 Posts
Garage
welcome along to DW
Old 02-10-2018, 10:48 AM   #4
Fentum
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,519 Times in 879 Posts
Welcome!
Fentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 01:35 PM   #5
Andyblue

Thanked 1,805 Times in 1,585 Posts
Hi and welcome to DW

Enjoy yourself here
Andyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 07:27 PM   #6
camerashy
'Detailing Devil'

Thanked 2,563 Times in 2,092 Posts
Garage
Warm welcone to the Forum.
A good drying towel is essential together with some foam or MF applicator pads for applying polish, wax or QD and some quality MF cloths for removing the same.

Last edited by camerashy; 04-10-2018 at 07:33 PM.
camerashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 11:09 PM   #7
Soul boy 68
DW's car of the day man & Moderator

Thanked 6,235 Times in 4,324 Posts
Garage
Welcome along Sif
Soul boy 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 08:35 AM   #8
bluechimp
PC Perfectionist

Morning to you too sir.

Jon over at Forensic Detailing is a great place to start, when I set off on this expensive path, his videos taught me a lot and cost me a lot

BH Autowheel can be bit overkill for every maintenance wash, i’d recommend either ValetPro Bilberry or to keep costs down BH Surfex HD as it can be used for allsorts.

Wheel Brushes are either wheel woolies or EZ Brushes with Vikan, Atlasta and detail factory brushes for the little bits. These brushes can be used everywhere though.

Drying towels well there are 100’s and none of them are dreadful, they all do a job. I’d have a go at researching them mate and see which takes your fancy.

Shampoos again like drying towels, Autoglym will be fine and a good shampoo but there will always be something better in someones opinion, mine is the Gyeon Bathe range but cossiecol did a great shootout:

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=363239

Have a look at Jim over at Whitedetails aswell, does some outstanding work. He recently did a wash vid of his new jag for waxstock and there are some great tips.

Hope this helps and welcome mate.
bluechimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:21 AM   #9
Sif
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechimp View Post
Morning to you too sir.

Jon over at Forensic Detailing is a great place to start, when I set off on this expensive path, his videos taught me a lot and cost me a lot

BH Autowheel can be bit overkill for every maintenance wash, i’d recommend either ValetPro Bilberry or to keep costs down BH Surfex HD as it can be used for allsorts.

Wheel Brushes are either wheel woolies or EZ Brushes with Vikan, Atlasta and detail factory brushes for the little bits. These brushes can be used everywhere though.

Drying towels well there are 100’s and none of them are dreadful, they all do a job. I’d have a go at researching them mate and see which takes your fancy.

Shampoos again like drying towels, Autoglym will be fine and a good shampoo but there will always be something better in someones opinion, mine is the Gyeon Bathe range but cossiecol did a great shootout:

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=363239

Have a look at Jim over at Whitedetails aswell, does some outstanding work. He recently did a wash vid of his new jag for waxstock and there are some great tips.

Hope this helps and welcome mate.
This is very useful. Thanks for taking the time to explain.

I picked up some BH auto-foam and some BH auto-wash from the same person I purchased the auto-wheel from on the 'bay. I looked at the very comprehensive review on here and at around 30p per wash, it seemed like great value.

I totally agree on the BH auto-wheel. It made the Mrs' wheels look brand new, but totally not needed for a maintenance wash once they've been entirely taken back and washed.

What do you recommend for an APC? I keep seeing G101 used on bodywork and interior. A quick google shows it to be relatively cost effective.

I was also going to get the BH quick detailer, unless you have any other recommendations.

With my Budget K2, my cheap foam lance from eBay, and my auto foam I can get the car nice and prepped. The BH shampoo is ridiculously foamy, and even 3ml in a bucket is sufficient product, which equates to about 100 washes, or 9.95p per wash.

I'm now just looking for something to spray on either as it dries, or once it's dry to give it that touch of protection and a bit of shine.

As for towels and microfibers....I never thought i'd spend my evenings researching the merits of one towel over another. The wife wishes I gave half as many ****s about the state of the kitchen.
Sif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:32 AM   #10
nbray67

Thanked 2,349 Times in 1,732 Posts
Garage
Welcome pal.

Shampoo, take a look at Carchem as they have deals on their 1900:1 shampoo which is a massive DW favourite and I'd hazard a guess for those that have used/have it, it's their go to shampoo everytime. http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=408820

Drying towels are a must and there's a decent thread here. My fav is the In2Detailing twisted drying towel. http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...t=drying+towel

APC - G101 is another forum favourite

QD's - Sonax BSD, always on offer at Eurocarparts and another fav of the forum but I prefer others, horses for courses.

Washmitt - again, loads of choice, my preference being the Microfibre Madness wash mitt, love it and it's going strong 3yrs on.

The search bar at the top of the page is a great tool for specific queries you may have along with the knowledge of the guys on here who are all spot on.

Last edited by nbray67; 05-10-2018 at 09:36 AM.
nbray67 is offline   Reply With Quote