Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 16-04-2017, 06:08 PM   #71
VeiRoN
Sponge Jockey

Love seeing things done properly,keep up the good work.
VeiRoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 06:29 PM   #72
JwilliamsM
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
nice to see someone taking care of an mg zr, they seem to be treated like builders tools around here, including one of my mates. he had one that basically fell apart and nothing worked on it, and then the head gasket went. was an utter shed!
JwilliamsM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 11:33 AM   #73
GrantB5

Nice job with the CV joint.

Hope that's not a job I need to tackle any time soon!
GrantB5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 02:57 PM   #74
enc

Garage
Nice work .. cvs are horrible to work on.
enc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:23 AM   #75
James_G
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibiza55 View Post
Great work, nice to see a diy job carried out, propper car maintenance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeiRoN View Post
Love seeing things done properly,keep up the good work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JwilliamsM View Post
nice to see someone taking care of an mg zr, they seem to be treated like builders tools around here, including one of my mates. he had one that basically fell apart and nothing worked on it, and then the head gasket went. was an utter shed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantB5 View Post
Nice job with the CV joint.

Hope that's not a job I need to tackle any time soon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by enc View Post
Nice work .. cvs are horrible to work on.
Thanks guys, not a job I'd rush to do again, but very satisfying nonetheless. Near on a thousand miles later and all is still well.
James_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:25 AM   #76
James_G
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by srhutch View Post
Looks like good fun. Are you planning on sorting the rust out?
No plans Steve. If it had perfect service history and was low mileage I might consider it, but it's too far down the line to spend the money I think. Definitely lots of fun though!
Old 12-06-2017, 12:56 AM   #77
James_G
Washmitt Meister

Garage
So a brief update on the MG. Last post was when I had sorted the CV joints and was about to put it in for the MOT.

As usual I took it to a local garage in Guildford that I've used many times before and as luck would have it another yellow car was also in for an MOT that morning.

The owner of the VW failed on tyres but I'm pleased to report a pass with only one advisory, that being play in a track rod end. The tester took me in to the workshop to demonstrate the issue and commented that I'd had the CV joints replaced. I took some pride in telling him I'd done them myself.

With that all sorted, I spent some time that weekend cleaning it and then over the next week I spent most evenings in the garage with the rotary bringing the paintwork back to life. There were lots of localised problem areas, and it looked like the classic bird mess rubbed away with a scourer scenario. A combination of Sonus pads and Menzerna had it looking great again.

No good photos to speak of, but these were taken on my phone:

I also cleaned all the glass, applied some Gtechniq to the front screen and sorted out a problem with the sunroof. The previous owner told me it was sealed shut but it turns out it wasn't. However the seal wasn't very happy after I'd tested the slide and tilt function as you can see.

So that was removed, the frame tidied and seal refitted. However it's still not right so I think a new seal may be the way forward.

A few weeks later it was then time for my next trackday which was at Pembrey, some 200 miles away up the M4. I travelled the evening before and pausing in Reading services I took this shot, which goes some way to show the improvement in the paint finish, which by this time it had received some Dodo Juice Rainforest Rub as an LSP.

The following morning I was joined by a good friend in his Elise at a very wet Pembrey.

But it gradually dried out over the course of the day and we got to have some great battles on track. To my surprise, an MG ZR160 and series 1 Elise (120bhp 1.8 K series) are very well matched, performance wise.

Only toward the end of the day when my brakes started to go off was he able to build any kind of lead on me and that's with us both running trackday style tyres (hence why my alloys are smaller and black, the silver 17s are the regular wheels)

So after giving both cars a decent thrashing all day it was then time to go home so I swapped back to my regular wheels and loaded the track wheels in to the boot. It's worth saying that I passed 97k miles at this track day and the Elise passed 123k miles so anybody that thinks the K series is a fragile engine may wish to think again!

The journey home was uneventful, and everything remains business as normal.

Plans now are to fit the remaining polybush to the bottom of the gear shifter, fit two new track rod ends and just continue to use it. More on that when it happens.