Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 24-02-2017, 05:27 PM   #421
sprocketser
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,308 Times in 1,273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dann2707 View Post
Hi mate, they are showing up for me buddy. Cheers
lol,weird they show on my other lappy ! Real nice progress in there !
sprocketser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:30 PM   #422
dann2707

Updates galore! Made some decent progress this weekend and last.*

A mate came over last weekend to do my timing belt for me. The guy is an absolute whiz and he managed to do it in an hour or so.*

Then some mates*came over to mine for pizza, beers and a night out. Was a great night and lovely to see them both 

Me and matty arranged my nuts and bolts into these lin bins that arrived! So good to have them organised like this.*

We then began to wire up the engine with the clio harness*

And found some discrepancies with some connectors. The clio phase 1 throttle body uses a tps as it's cable operated so that was one of the issues. Also the Tdc sensor in the gearbox was different, as was the map sensor connector. Fairly simple fixes though.*

Popped my wheels on and rolled Boris forward so I could get a washing machine in around the back. Got me excited to get it sorted as I'm sick of driving a slow car for work.*

The next step was to change the throttle body wiring so that it runs with the phase 1 tps.*

Had to find continuity in the wires of the ecu to the original 6 wired plug,*

Labelled up

The next issue is wiring the map sensor in. I'm using the clio loom and the map sensor on the Megane is a different connector so I want to use the Megane map connector on the clio loom. However the clio is 123 on the wires and the Megane is abc or vice versa. I need to get the Megane 225 wiring ecu pin out so I can find out which is 5v, signal and earth.if anyone can help me that would be awesome!*

Clio on left Megane on right*

The next job was the wrap this bad boy

Not bad for a first attempt..*

Followed some advice online and wet the wrap first. Didn't find any advice online telling me it's fibreglass based so that was hilarious itching like **** all evening..*

I then fitted the uprated 630cc injectors*

And a parcel of goodies arrived*

Load leveller for the engine and box*
197 thermostat*
Phase 1 accelerator cable*
Flywheel bolts
Flywheel to clutch cover bolts. Turned out they're not m7 on the lightened flywheel so that was a lovely waste of £17

Ttv are m6 for anyone reading this in the future*

Changed the stat*

When locating the wires for the carbon cannister I found this! The insulation around it was also very brittle.*

So I taped them up, wonder what they were causing to go wrong.*

I fitted the short shifter today too. That started to become a bit of a ballache.*

You have to punch put a roll pin which decided to teach me NOT to use a Torx screwdriver to do said punching. Finally came out after much swearing and abuse. I spanked it to Halfords to get a roll pin kit, two sets of vice grips (long nose and normal) and a punch and chisel kit.*

Got it on though. Not just waiting to be told I've got it on the wrong way... Haha

It was fitted like for like for the original so should be correct.*

I then started to remove the stud from the Megane gearbox mount. Turned out I could have just used it but I'd have to take apart the clio solid mounts and I'm not sure how they come apart after much head scratching. Turned out I can just remove this stud. And fit with clio stud.*

It was a ***** to remove even with heat but finally cracked it off.*

I then fitted the decat to the engine and started to take it off the stand ready to fit other parts*

Flywheel fitted with the new bolts*

Clutch on..*

Then mated the gearbox up with a few bolts to bring it together. Need to clean up the surfaces where the bolts go as I'm not fitting them over painted areas. Finally stuck the load leveller on and called it a night knowing I've made fairly decent progress this weekend.

Should be getting the engine in next week after work, I just need to fit the starter motor too. Then I need a few more parts, oil cooler for one and an alternator.
dann2707 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dann2707 For This Useful Post:
alfajim (06-03-2017)
Old 11-03-2017, 12:32 AM   #423
dann2707

Today was a good day.*

Went straight after work to go collect a work bench*

And installed a vice onto it.*

Weird how it's made things so much easier already, it sounds stupid but even just leaving sockets on there whilst I get something.*

Marked where I am to cut the cambelt cover*

Then a mate dropped me an alternator off as mine was siezed up. Fitted that along with the stretch belt and tensioner.*

Then fitted the engine. Didn't take too long at all really. Just a bit of persuasion of the chassis with a hammer*

Then the final product..*

Finally I painted the alternator after those pics and called it a night. All the little things can come together now.*

Just an oil cooler and Remap now for the major expenses. £450 ish at a guess*
GrantB5 (19-04-2017)
Old 12-03-2017, 08:01 PM   #424
dann2707

I got my false floor yesterday so started drilling that. It's not real carbon as you can tell but it actually looks quite decent in person. I'm raising that up with lots of alu spacers i've got.

Today I did quite a lot in terms of wiring prep and other bits and bobs...

Fitted the ABS pump. For those who may have missed it - i'm using this as a speedo pick up

Become a bit of a tart lately and you've got to do things right, got the wire brush wheel on the drill to tidy it up on top as it had corrosion*

Then fitted the lambda

Started on the loom properly, had to source the carbon canister wiring and connect a connector and wiring to that for the N75*

Tidier? maybe, can't remember why I took this pic hahah

Fitted the fuse box, connected that up

Then installed the battery junction box and fitted the right ring terminal on the +ve

Excuse the horrible scratches, must have been from taking the engine out before. I will get them touched up

Taped up some wires some more as not keen on the coloured wires showing

Next plan is to fit the oil cooler, coilpack and plugs*, top up with oil and see if it fires up!

So excited now as it's so close.

Bought decent oil tonight along with a new radiator. Not uprating the rad just buying a new one as mine is smashed to **** so that won't help with cooling. The oil cooler will help massively.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dann2707 For This Useful Post:
GrantB5 (14-03-2017), JMorty (13-03-2017)
Old 01-04-2017, 09:29 PM   #425
dann2707

update whilst waiting for tea to cook!

Started mocking up the boost pipes

Brembos are fitted too, just running standard pads for now until payday then i'll upgrade

Bumper on just to see what it looks like

Then went for tea and to the comedy night with the mrs!

Had to get in the middle of this (not literally sadly)

Went to nandos for the first time with the girlfriend and nearly died trying this. Got used to it and doused my whole meal in it hahah, lovely stuff

Today involved finishing the boost pipes and aerocatches so first things first, drive to the post office to collect some goodies

Fitted the BOV adapter

Then started on the pipework

Fitted the lower pipe and protected it with some heat wrap just for fretting reasons

Same with the top. Pikey? maybe. Protected? yesssssssssssssssssssss

BOV fitted, just need some jubilees to sort it

Slam panel fitted with a bit of modifying for the boost pipe. Just a bit of angle grinding action

Then made a start with the aerocatches

One done, was really easy. Took about 15 mins

Both done

Then the engine bay with the bonnet open :smiley:

Needless to say i'm rather happy with the progress today and yesterday, still got a few little bits and bobs to do now like fit EPAS, sort out a proper dogbone, bleed brakes and clutch and sort out the accelerator pedal but it's all fairly easy stuff. Got a fire extinguisher to affix somewhere too.

Cheers, hope everyones having a good weekend.

Started it up earlier and my gf whos 2 floors above sent me this on whatsapp hahahahahah

GrantB5 (19-04-2017)
Old 01-04-2017, 10:02 PM   #426
Pandy

I heart this build
Pandy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pandy For This Useful Post:
dann2707 (02-04-2017)
Old 18-04-2017, 07:05 PM   #427
dann2707

3rd page and a week since the last update. I've been slacking...

Not really, i've been mega busy with the last push before mapping! It's all the little things i've been sorting out.

Apologies if the pics look rubbish, trying a new uploading site as photobucket has had a disaster earlier.

I've fitted the interior, along with the false floor which is a bit bent but it's worked a treat. Fire extinguisher is fixed infront of passenger seat too. I then fitted my rear door cards from CM composite. They were fitted by 3 x M4 rivnuts in each corner. Ideally another one would be spot on but there is no metal behind them, they are very secure though.

No door card

After

Interior pics as it stands!

Black strip is for the scuttle when finished bleeding the brakes

The car now has coolant in and the turbo intake is fitted using a ramair filter. Used ducting from the intercooler pipework and it fitted spot on.

I've also secured the ecu upright using brackets from an oil cooler I bought from [USER=11651]@optical[/USER] . That has been cushioned with some rubber just to reduce residual vibrations.

I also got sick of the pink aerocatches (god knows why they come that colour, it's absolutely dire). So with some caustic soda I removed the anodising and then trimmed them down as they were too long. I will do the rears at one point when i've got time.

I'm awaiting on some braided front brake lines then I can bleed the front brakes then it's pretty much complete for mapping.

I've sorted the exhaust too, i'm using the megane 225 link pipe from the de-cat and it needs to mate up to my original exhaust and luckily cutting a section from my clio 182 decat allows it to join up perfectly. I got some clamps on there today btw. I will be getting a full 3" system at one point then getting the map tweaked but for now it will be fine.

To finish here are lots and lots of engine bay pics as i'm over the moon with it..

Old 18-04-2017, 07:24 PM   #428
nbray67

Thanked 1,953 Times in 1,440 Posts
Garage
Absolutely epic that buddy.

You, young man, have skillz in abundance.

Hats off to you.
nbray67 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nbray67 For This Useful Post:
dann2707 (14-05-2017)
Old 18-04-2017, 07:45 PM   #429
wish wash
Orbital Oracle

Brilliant build thread, I'm toying with idea of a 182 or megane 225 track car. Is the Clio still road legal?
wish wash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wish wash For This Useful Post:
dann2707 (14-05-2017)
Old 18-04-2017, 09:53 PM   #430
williamsclio1

Garage
Really close now bud, good work ��
williamsclio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to williamsclio1 For This Useful Post:
dann2707 (14-05-2017)