Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:53 PM   #1
footfistart
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
new to me Ford Mondeo Titanium X Sport estate

Evening all,

I thought is share/start a project/journey on this forum as I have bought myself (new to me) Ford Mondeo Titanium X Sport TDCI. it's an estate as I needed more room with expanding family. my previous car ( being swapped for titx on Tuesday) was a ford focus 1.6tdci Zetec. I test drove the mondeo and I fell in love. now this is what I ended up with.

the car is in moondust silver, 2.2 tdci with 173bhp. I've been told the one I have is fairly rare as it has a sun roof. apparently when they were being made (2009 is the year of mine) it was a six month waiting time for a roof so no one bothered with it. the car also has satnav, cruise, speed limiter, voice control and loads of other gadgets and gizmos.

my favorite bit is the carbon touches throughout the car.

I picked up the car which is five years old and 33,800 on the clock for 10,000. I also managed to get three years warranty which covers just about everything along with three years roadside assistance throughout Europe.the car is mint apart from some cosmetic damage which is being fixed and all alloys being refurbished. car has been serviced five times since new roughly every 7,000 roughly and it's also being serviced as we speak.

I do have plans for the car. my focus I had a few bits done to it. intercooler induction and interior upgrades.
plans are as follows:

induction either enclosed or uncovered
egr blank. I have heard of eml come up so want to know what people have experienced.
Dpf gutted.
remap.
led interior upgrade as there are half a million lights in the car
perhaps a elmconfig to see what else is turned off? again advise would be great?!
wind deflectors
colour coding plastics
detailed including machining ect ect.
bigger intercooler
headlight bulb upgrades. not sure about drl. etis states it doesn't have it but I've noticed there isn't any side lights??
led conversion for rear tail lights
fly eye tints
debadge front grille

and of course enjoy the car.

I would like comments and any helpful advise that I should be aware of, xomman faults and anything else that could be handy to know.

this build is on the ford owners xlub so if no pictures on here they will be on there. I'll add pics soon as my phone is playing up.

Many Thanks

Ryan
footfistart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to footfistart For This Useful Post:
SBM (26-02-2016)
Old 09-10-2014, 08:57 PM   #2
s29nta

Thanked 1,602 Times in 1,459 Posts
looking forward to pics mate
s29nta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 09:17 PM   #3
fattail95
Washmitt Meister

Defo blank the EGR mate, after getting my 406 HDi, I blanked mine only to find the intake manifold was filled with loads of sludgy carbon nastyness, and it had only done 95k So I cleaned it out, blanked the EGR physically and remapped the car with the EGR section removed from the ECU, so the valve always remains closed. Overall, better MPG, better throttle response and smoother idling! Worth doing for sure, along with gutting the DPF
fattail95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 04:14 AM   #4
footfistart

Garage
My focus I blanked the egr at the engine had an rs airbox with kn 57s induction and a upgraded intercooler. it made a good difference. car was abit more laggy but it made up for that in mpg. before all that was done it was doing 63 and no more. after all of that the best I got was 71.1mpg over 20k. now I know my car is massive in comparison (focus was a 1.6) but I am hoping to improve the mpg by as much as possible but still have a smile when you plant it.

I've been looking into the egr blank but loads of people have problems with it by bringing up a eml. but having the light doesn't seem to upset the car. my focus is a euro five and it didn't throw up any problems and still hasn't to this day.

I'll look into cleaning the egr I am hoping it's in front of the engine as the turbo is around the back. that will make it easier to remove and refit. once cleaned I'll blank it off. I think I'll just blank it at the engine so the valve can still open and close but I shouldn't get any faults. unless someone knows better that would be cool.

Dpf....well I was going to do it on my focus but once I'm used to how my car is I'll see if I can get it down. only thing is my car has three years warranty so I'm not sure if anything would effect it especially with Dpf removed and mapped out. perhaps a bluefin for the time being?

thanks for getting back to me. I've been looking on forums to remove egr but haven't found anything good as of yet?

Many Thanks.

I'll add some pics of car tomorrow as these were the ones I took when I saw the car. and you can see how bad the wheels were lol

Ta Ryan
footfistart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 08:25 AM   #5
SteveyG

A 2009 model doesn't have DRLs, there should be sidelights in the headlight housing. You should already have Bi-Xenon headlamps so no need to change/upgrade the lamps as they are Osram Xenarcs which are the best out there.
I don't think anyone has had any luck with the EGR blanking on the 2.2. Gutting the DPF would make the car unroadworthy.
SteveyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:54 AM   #6
vfr
Sponge Jockey

New rules on DPF in the MOT here. They say that if it isn't present and should have one then it's an automatic fail, I don't know if they are able to detect that the innards are removed rather than a replacement piece of pipe fitted.

BTW, the 2.2 is a nice car. I had a 2009 2.0 Mondeo for 4 years and enjoyed it, my brother in law had the 2.2 (both estates) and it was a nippy car.

I don't expect you'll get anywhere close to the Focus on mpg, my typical consumption was about 38-39 mpg in mixed town/free flowing driving, and 50 mpg possible on a motorway run sticking around about the speed limit. By comparison, (and to show that I'm not lead footed) the Passat that I've replaced it with will do 10 mpg better.

Enjoy.

Last edited by vfr; 10-10-2014 at 10:02 AM.
vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 10:34 AM   #7
SteveyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr View Post
BTW, the 2.2 is a nice car. I had a 2009 2.0 Mondeo for 4 years and enjoyed it, my brother in law had the 2.2 (both estates) and it was a nippy car.

I don't expect you'll get anywhere close to the Focus on mpg, my typical consumption was about 38-39 mpg in mixed town/free flowing driving, and 50 mpg possible on a motorway run sticking around about the speed limit. By comparison, (and to show that I'm not lead footed) the Passat that I've replaced it with will do 10 mpg better.

Enjoy.
For commuting I have the newer 2.2 which is a bit more powerful, but I average around 45-47mpg. The 163PS 2.0 by all accounts is less economical than the 200PS 2.2.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:07 AM   #8
muzzer

Thanked 4,024 Times in 2,527 Posts
Garage
JUst regarding the DPF, i seem to recall someone on here suggesting the best way to get it to regenerate was to sit at 3000rpm for half an hour IIRC.
muzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 12:01 PM   #9
SteveyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzer42 View Post
JUst regarding the DPF, i seem to recall someone on here suggesting the best way to get it to regenerate was to sit at 3000rpm for half an hour IIRC.
Not on the Mondeo. It'll attempt at specific intervals (typically 400 miles) when the engine load is correct and at least 25% fuel in the tank. If it fails a regen, it'll wait 400 miles till another attempt is made.

Engine RPM has no effect, other than you need to be at least 1700rpm which you should always be anyway when doing a run.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:07 PM   #10
cragglemieSTer
PC Perfectionist

you wont regret the mondeo. i have a mk3 st tdci estate and my old man has the *** x 2012 hatch. quality motors for the money.
Pics up asap haha
cragglemieSTer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cragglemieSTer For This Useful Post:
s29nta (11-10-2014)