Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 03-04-2017, 10:30 PM   #11
Tomm
Orbital Oracle

What an incredible amount of attention you're investing into this. It is very nice to see. I see you're in Kent, so am I, I am also a fabricator by trade, so if you get desperate I may be able to give you a hand.

I've never done lydden, I am keeping my eyes out for some cheaper track days although I've not done one for a good few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic View Post
Looking good mate! All these cars seem to rust inside out when it comes to the sills, water must just sit in them.

We'll have to organise a track day when both our cars are finished!
I regularly check your build thread so am in no doubt you'd possibly experienced it yourself. However many years ago in my younger days I had a good friend with a gold 1.1 independence, it was a right dog. One night on the way home from the pub I noticed it sounded like rushing water which after a fair few got the mind ticking "am I actually hearing that". Well it turned out that both his sills were full with a fair few litres of rain water. When he pulled away or braked heavily you heard it all slosh from one end to the other. I can't remember if we cleaned out a drain hole (that may have been the door) or if he hammered a darn nail in the sill end to get it out.
Tomm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tomm For This Useful Post:
VeiRoN (03-04-2017)
Old 04-04-2017, 09:39 AM   #12
VeiRoN
Sponge Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomm View Post
What an incredible amount of attention you're investing into this. It is very nice to see. I see you're in Kent, so am I, I am also a fabricator by trade, so if you get desperate I may be able to give you a hand.

I've never done lydden, I am keeping my eyes out for some cheaper track days although I've not done one for a good few years.

I regularly check your build thread so am in no doubt you'd possibly experienced it yourself. However many years ago in my younger days I had a good friend with a gold 1.1 independence, it was a right dog. One night on the way home from the pub I noticed it sounded like rushing water which after a fair few got the mind ticking "am I actually hearing that". Well it turned out that both his sills were full with a fair few litres of rain water. When he pulled away or braked heavily you heard it all slosh from one end to the other. I can't remember if we cleaned out a drain hole (that may have been the door) or if he hammered a darn nail in the sill end to get it out.

Thank you and that would help immensly,I'll be sending you a private message with the details.

Altough I've only been there once it's a short but fun track,also only 20£ for a 20 minute session,altough that was some time ago,not sure if that has changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic View Post
Looking good mate! All these cars seem to rust inside out when it comes to the sills, water must just sit in them.

We'll have to organise a track day when both our cars are finished!
Thank you,yep sometime they rust in places you wouldn't even imagine it makes you start questioning things, I'm using the Dynax S-50 for all the cavites I can possibly find,even though it's galvanized inside and it looks okay visually I decided to rely on Bilt Hamber products instead.

I would love to organise a track day but I'm afraid it will take some considerable time for me to at least get it to a state where I'm happy with the rust protection and repairs,there's only so much I can do with 2 drill batteries lol.

Last edited by VeiRoN; 04-04-2017 at 10:12 AM.
VeiRoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 07:13 PM   #13
VeiRoN
Sponge Jockey

Stripping down the wishbones at the moment,balljoint and front bush came out quite easily with the help of a drill and a dremel to cut the metal sleeve however had some diffiiculties with the rear bush,I've found out what worked for me was cut some small slots on the front of the metal sleeve so that it can be pushed back with a chisel easily,then it can be pushed out using a socket and hammer:

These are as they come off,some rust but nothing that can't be fixed.

Front bush pins:

Bushes housing:

Balljoint housing:

I've cleaned them up with a flap wheel and left the bits above with the Deox-Gel for now,so waiting for that to do its thing:

Removed the rear seatbelt brackets which aren't used anymore:

Yes,I've messed up a hole.

Last edited by VeiRoN; 07-07-2017 at 12:50 PM.
Old 15-04-2017, 06:51 PM   #14
VeiRoN
Sponge Jockey

So,wishbones still with the Deox for a third application,it has already removed a lot of corrosion from the second one but I prefer to wait another 48 hours and get them as clean as possible,I know the Deox-C is best for this but I already have a few litres of the Deox (bought the 5 litres can lol) so might as well use it.
Also,was at Lydden Hill trackday on Friday 14th for some needed motivation.

Back to the driver's front arch as I made some progress today (I think),scraped off almost all of the underseal so that I can start treating the metal with the Deox,used a flap wheel shortly just to get the flaky rust off but would like to use as little abrasive as I can to avoid removing good metal,especially with pitted rust.
All of the areas below already being treated with the gel,as you apply the gel you can already see it working and be able to notice some areas showing shiny metal behind,it might appear worse than it is in the pictures but I should be able to treat the damaged metal to a decent condition ready for the Electrox.

Some pictures before today:

and so far:

Last edited by VeiRoN; 05-07-2017 at 09:11 PM.
Old 16-04-2017, 06:30 PM   #15
VeiRoN
Sponge Jockey

I thought I would take some pictures of the Dynax seam sealer I'm using on the underside at the back now that's dry,still have some areas to do,might be hard to see from the pictures once it's painted with the Electrox but I swear it's there:

This is how it looks unpainted:

Wishbones look much better now,one last application should do it,altough I admit I already painted in primer most of the wishobones where they are free of rust,will come back to the other bits once the Electrox is cured.

Also,used for the 1st time the Dynax-UB on the rear bumper panel,I know it doesn't look uniform and everything but this is just a first coat (suggested at least 2 coats at 24 hours intervals),surely need some practice to get decent looking coverage (not overly important as these areas will be covered,still would like to get a decent finish) will see how it looks with a 2nd coat and decide if further coats are necessary.
Anyhow,I'm guessing I might have been holding the can too close to the surface hence the runs,I'm thinking 20-25cm away will be adeguate? Any suggestion is much appreciated.

Last edited by VeiRoN; 09-07-2017 at 09:03 PM.
Old 17-04-2017, 09:44 PM   #16
VeiRoN
Sponge Jockey

Second coat (sorry for bad quality pictures,will get more with better lighting):

And third coat,I think is where I'll leave it at,protection should be adeguate.

Second application of the Deox on the arch:

Third application,I don't think it's necessary to bother you with pictures of every application so I will just take my time and keep applying the gel and update once all of the rust has been taken care of.

Before and after on the side panel:

Back on the rear quarter this as far as I was able to get to with the corrosion removal without spending way too many hours for little improvment,so decided to use the Hydrate-80 to take care of the rest and then I'll be applying a coat of Dynax S-50.

Last edited by VeiRoN; 09-07-2017 at 09:11 PM.
Old 27-04-2017, 11:00 PM   #17
VeiRoN
Sponge Jockey

Still a little more to do:

Last edited by VeiRoN; 09-07-2017 at 09:13 PM.
Old 28-04-2017, 09:16 AM   #18
donfresh
PC Perfectionist

getting there, great work!
donfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to donfresh For This Useful Post:
VeiRoN (28-04-2017)
Old 01-05-2017, 06:17 PM   #19
VeiRoN
Sponge Jockey

Thank you,love the Deox gel although time consuming and need patience.
Now that the underside on the boot floor is almost done I'm starting to work on the part inside the car,never been happy with the black ish color from factory which looks pretty bad (altough on other factory colors is much better) so I was thinking to strip it all back to bare metal and re paint it.
Been thinking for a while about the color of choice and because of all the work to be done I'm not too inclined to go back to a simple gloss black so I've been looking around and I really like anthracite,this is semi gloss,this would also match the color of the new wheels I'll be installing,bare in mind that this is with a L.E.D lightining and it does look darker normally.

Last edited by VeiRoN; 09-07-2017 at 09:15 PM.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:31 PM   #20
lincolndanny
Washmitt Meister

Only just seen that you had finally started a thread on the VTS. Putting some fair hours in on this and getting good results to be fair Keep going mate.
lincolndanny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lincolndanny For This Useful Post:
VeiRoN (05-05-2017)

Tags
even more rust, feelsbadman, more rust, rust