Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Interior & Glass
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Interior & Glass Discuss All your Interior Issue - Dash - Seats and All the Car Glass Areas - Interior Dressing, Leather etc

Old 01-09-2014, 10:09 PM   #1
tPIC
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Replacement windscreen - it's like seeing your pal go in for surgery

I had an unexplained crack appear in my windscreen one morning so the obligatory call to Autoglass was made..

First appointment it was raining cats and dogs so the fitter said that he could try the repair but the interior would likely get pretty wet. I passed. Rescheduled for today.

I gave the Bora a good wash, interior clean and wax yesterday as I maintain that if it's clear to those working on your car that you look after it, then they are more likely to follow suit.

The fitter was proper efficient, but an incorrectly fitted screen last time meant that the wiring for the rain-sensing wipers and dimming mirror was embedded in the mastic at the top of the screen. My fitter partially severed several of these cables. Oh dear.. He was saying that this was likely going to be my responsibly to fix. It wasn't his fault, due to the previous poor fitting so I would have taken this up with the insurance co. However, he spent a good 30 mins making the connections good so I was happy with his recovery.

Was painful to see him wiping the roof and bonnet with dry paper towels and even getting the brush from the dustpan and brush out on the bonnet, but I think that objecting to that would have come across as odd - what do you guys do in those situation?

On the plus side, he did comment that it was the nicest Bora he'd seen in a good while!

Screen out:

Positioning whilst sealant allows:

Overall, slightly worrying experience but end result is a nice, new and very clear screen. It's a reset for my windscreen so I'll take good care of this one.
tPIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:43 PM   #2
Gixxer6
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Fitter: "This is the nicest looking Bora that I have seen in a while"

You: "Thanks, it looks this nice because I don't use paper towels and brushes on the paintwork"
Gixxer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gixxer6 For This Useful Post:
tPIC (01-09-2014)
Old 01-09-2014, 10:55 PM   #3
tPIC
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Nice one. If I could only wind back the clock!

He was a normal person so I couldn't really hold it against him, but it would almost have been better not to watch..

Interesting process, but demonstrated to me that cars are getting more complex and further from the home mechanic.
tPIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:23 PM   #4
Glassy
Sponge Jockey

So he trapped the front door weather seals in the rear doors? Why didn't he just take the things off?!

Last edited by Glassy; 07-09-2014 at 10:44 AM.
Glassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:03 AM   #5
Guitarjon
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

I really need a glass replacement. I washed mine today and could see all the scratches and chips in the glass. It made me sad lol.

I've come to realise that when anybody works on my car I'm better not even looking. I remember picking my car up from a body shop once when somebody had run into me and the guy said I've just got to finish off and wash it for you. I'd already seen the brushes...

I insisted he didn't but he insisted he did. I gave in as I thought it might count against me when I've properly inspected it and brought it back (which I had to).

I stopped in the cabin where the office was and started sweating. I wanted to peak but the wife said not too. Worst moment of my life.

If its a car garage working on it I expect grease etc so just grin and bear it. One thing I do watch is the local tyre fitting place as they are a load of monkeys. They are cheap and the owner knows what he's doing. I watch them like a hawk. Most of the garages that I use know me and what I do so are usually careful.
Guitarjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:36 AM   #6
fitter
Sponge Jockey

He should have masked off around the edge and on the edges of bonnet not to mention the use of a roof, bonnet and interior cover.
His boss wouldnt have been to happy to have seen yhe car beong worked on like that
fitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:41 AM   #7
Glassy
Sponge Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitter View Post
He should have masked off around the edge and on the edges of bonnet not to mention the use of a roof, bonnet and interior cover.
His boss wouldnt have been to happy to have seen yhe car beong worked on like that
If he was a trainee, perhaps!

I'm not a fan of tapes and sheets on paintwork, especially if the car has been detailed previously.
Glassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 02:59 PM   #8
fitter
Sponge Jockey

Im not the greatest fan of Sheets and tape but thats company procedure trainee or not a lot of damage can be done by slipping !
fitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:44 PM   #9
Andy B
Sponge Jockey

Bet its nice now though to have a clear screen, no chips or small scratches. Im hoping to replace mine as I think its seen better days.
Andy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:07 PM   #10
ianrobbo1
The Jokes Man

Thanked 2,941 Times in 1,584 Posts
Garage
I really try not to be there if a grease monkey is doing his "thing" to my car, the last time I watched one, I ended up all but fighting with the ignorant chump!! I just point and say you damage it your paying for it!! it seems to work as I think my reputation has preceded me!!
ianrobbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote