Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Tools -Machine polishers, Pressure Washers, Detailing Equipment & Microfiber
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tools -Machine polishers, Pressure Washers, Detailing Equipment & Microfiber Sponsored by Detailed Clean : www.DetailedClean.co.uk – | Bilt Hamber | Dodo Juice | Nanolex | Sonus | Wolfs Chemicals + More | Loyalty Scheme Discounts |

Old 11-12-2017, 08:28 PM   #1
Chris Donaldson
Orbital Oracle

What's the deal with pressure washers???

I guess I'm missing something so could someone explain the obsession with pressure washers and upgrades etc. I'm not having a dig at people but I think I'm missing something.

I have a Karcher K2, one of the current models that was bought as a replacement in the summer for the K2 that I had for about 5 years before that. Both machines cost about £50 each as I got them both on special offers. I upgraded my hose in the summer to a 10M one so I could get all around the cars without moving the pressure washer its self (so I do get that upgrade). I've been reading threads about people upgrading guns and lances which although seems intreaging I don think quite get why. It seems that Kranzle is a very popular manufacture but with people spending £300/400 on machines and then adding extras to that I have to question why? What do these machines and upgrades do that my billy basic K2 doesn't? I wash my cars every week to 2 weeks and they never get that dirty. I don't use the washer to get dirt off the car, it's more a method of applying snow foam and rinsing.

So why are people spending the money??? What am I missing??? As I said I'm not having a go. I just don't get it.
Chris Donaldson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:04 PM   #2
steelghost
Detailing at Double Speed

Thanked 2,754 Times in 2,062 Posts
Garage
An analogous question might be, why buy a BMW 5 series when you can get from A to B perfectly well in a Fiat Panda...

Also: http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru....php?p=5410148

Last edited by steelghost; 11-12-2017 at 11:54 PM. Reason: Slightly less smart Alec answer
steelghost is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steelghost For This Useful Post:
Commander2874 (12-12-2017)
Old 11-12-2017, 09:11 PM   #3
stangalang
king of the flexonian

Thanked 10,262 Times in 4,846 Posts
Garage
Truly you get what you pay for. Day in and day out karchers break and day in and day out people just keep buying them. Kranzles run day in and day out and don't break, when there is an issue its serviceable, they are also quiet and smooth.

In short, a kranzle is better in every measurable way to a karcher, except maybe in the price. But they ARE better "value".

Now don't get me wrong, there are plenty of companies charging too much for goods and services in detailing lets not fool ourselves and pretend it doesn't happen, but Imo this is a perfect example of getting what you pay for. With that said if all you do is clean a car once a fortnight and you like a "bargain" that might not matter
stangalang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stangalang For This Useful Post:
Chris Donaldson (12-12-2017), Robbi Hong Kong (12-12-2017), smarty5927 (12-12-2017), steelghost (11-12-2017)
Old 11-12-2017, 09:21 PM   #4
Tim662
PC Perfectionist

Garage
I get it, it's just that our Karcher K3.575 well and truly will not give up. Had it since early 2012 washing roughly two cars a week.

I'd secretly love for it to pack in so I can get a K7 with a nice swivel gun and quick connect system, but I can't justify the expense until it does.
Tim662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:30 PM   #5
pharmed
Orbital Oracle

Nilfisk refurb unit, £50 and has lasted a good 5-6 years of abuse, possibly longer.
pharmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:36 PM   #6
saul
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
I also get it, but only if I was cleaning cars everyday or if I was doing it as a side business and eventually all costs would be redeemed.

However being simple weekend warrior, a Nilfisk with an upgraded hose ticks all the boxes for me. Do I want a Kranzle? Yes. Can I justify spending that much on pw? No.
saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 10:05 PM   #7
DLGWRX02

Thanked 1,360 Times in 925 Posts
Garage
I had a k2 until it died, then I got a k5, just that has a difference of night and day. So much more power and pressure makes cleaning easier and quicker. Not just for the cars either, I’m forever cleaning my patios, and concrete slab where I park. I can do now in a few hours what used to take me all weekend.
DLGWRX02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 10:21 PM   #8
Soapybubbles

Garage
I take care of 4 cars on a regular basis.

I'm a weekend/day off warrior.

I work full time,I like nice things. Is it justified I want an upgraded gun,lance etc for my already adequate K5? No.

But it's my hobby, I don't drink,smoke etc. So I'll probs end up getting it.
Soapybubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soapybubbles For This Useful Post:
pump (12-12-2017)
Old 11-12-2017, 10:50 PM   #9
c87reed
Orbital Oracle

Garage
I've had a £50 Bosch washer, it had a 3m hose and I suppose I managed perfectly fine, even if it was a pain in the **** moving it around constantly.

Now that I've got a Nilfisk P150, now with 15m of hose, the extra flow rate means that I get a lot more dirt off the car during the pre-wash stage before my mitt even touches. My cars do get pretty filthy driving through the Dales daily and so I've needed that extra punch.
c87reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:02 AM   #10
Chris Donaldson
Orbital Oracle

I have 4 cars, 2 daily drivers and 2 show cars. Between those and the odd car for a friend I do roughly 80-90 cars a year. I get the point about wanting nice things (I have well over a £1000 in detailing stuff kicking about in the garage so I'm not shy and spending on the right stuff) and I get the serviceability points (I'm not relying on it for an income so that's not an issue given my previous one lasted 5 years) but what would upgrading the gun or lance on my K2 do for me? Would that alone make any difference to my set up?
Another question is, if my K2 broke today, would I be any better off getting a K4? Forget changing manufacturers etc but what difference would upgrading to a K4 over a K2 make to my detailing? Those are the bits I don't get?
Chris Donaldson is offline   Reply With Quote