Detailing World Forum banner

The Dad Tank - Merc E Class

98K views 220 replies 55 participants last post by  Alex_225 
#1 · (Edited)
So today I picked up a replacement for my Dad Wagon Saab 9-3.

I wanted a bit of daily Merc driving, I love the feel of my CLS but it's not practical driving a 6.2 V8 day to day, plus I don't want to whack the mileage onto it.

So here is my 2003 Mercedes E 320cdi. It has a 3.2ltr diesel and makes about 200bhp and about 360lbs-ft of torque so it properly shifts. It's done 102k but inside and out you'd never know it. Feels extremely defined and dare I say the engine actually sounds quite good when you give it some throttle...

Next to it's tougher, quicker but a hell of a lot thirstier brother...

Interior is extremely nice and has been kept well. This is as it was when I picked it up but I have given the plastics a clean and shampooed the fabrics this evening. Will vacuum it thoroughly tomorrow.

The car wears it's mileage incredibly well but is an honest car with a few stone chips (touched in by the previous owner), less than average mileage but everything maintained well and looks well cared for in general.

Next up will be giving the outside a thorough wash, to get some new plates on and get those headlights polished up!

See less See more
#34 ·
Little update on the E this weekend.

I managed to get hold of an OEM cup holder from eBay. No where on the car is there a cup holder, lots of cubby holes but nothing to put your coffee, Redbull, beer etc Not normally a priority for me but the five hour round trip to get my little girl is long enough that one comes in very handy.

So out with this little clip in tray....

Insert this little box which clips into place....

Then push the little silver button and.....

Mercedes trying to rival Saab on the over engineering cup holder category! Haha

Car is now with my local bodyshop for the wheels to be painted and for £30 they're polishing the headlights!

#35 ·
Well, I had the car booked into the bodyshop to have the wheels repainted. I have a trusted local place that I know do a good job and I've used on and off for the last ten years.

The wheels weren't actually that bad but I assume they've never been refurbished in their 13 year life. That said the previous owner(s) had touched up any marks so they didn't look as bad as some but had started to bubble in a couple of places.

It was a late finish as they'd been short staffed but I picked up the car last night and got a couple of pictures before they went on the car.

Must say I'm over the moon with how they look. I was looking at alternative wheels but the car drives so well on the 17s and the style doesn't look too small on the car as some older OEM rims do. Now the wheels are mint, it's lifted the look of the car and it looks that bit fresher.

Tyres need a clean as they're a bit dusty from the bodyshop but you get the idea.

Will get some clean pics of the car when I get a chance as they gave the headlights a quick polish up for me too.

#38 ·
You're totally right, once you start you can't stop. Like Pringles but a shed load more expensive! Haha

They certainly do look really good. I took the car on a 260 miles round trip today, work and picked up the little one so they need a clean. Yeah the wheel nuts definitely need something done with them haha

Itching to get it washed, clean those tyres and get some proper pics.

#39 · (Edited)
I used satin black on my wheel nuts. £1 from one of the pound shops. Zinc primer first, lasted well so far. The front of the locking nut on mine was all rusty too, your looks fine. I sprayed some dragons breath fallout remover into a tray and laid them face down for a bit. All the rust came off back to chrome :) Shed smelt a bit tho :)

#43 ·
Headlights have been given a once over by the chap at the bodyshop but aren't 100%. Probably a quick once over with some compound but definitely better.

A good base for me to have a go on though and better that's for sure

Love these 211's. So much value for money now if you get a good one.I'm a big Merc fan and drive a clk320 CDI Also a piston heads user. Are you my secret brother?
I'm not aware of any long lost brothers I'm afraid hahaha

I've become more and more a Merc fan. Bought my CLS last year which I live in terms of looks and power but I having driven a SAAB daily I want some daily Merc action. W211 ticks so many boxes in terms of comfort, features and for a 3.2 great economy when on a run. Nice thing is it's got plenty of go round town but just a bit thirstier.

I've done about a thousand miles in this so far and all been good. Only thing I may need go change is the battery at some point.

#45 ·
I had a Megane 225 Trophy for a little while with my little girl in the back but the lack of four doors was not good.

Now she's 2 1/2 I wouldn't have a two door for family duties but the W211 does everything well. Loads of room in the back, big boot and so comfy.

I do indeed have the 3.2 straight six as far as I'm aware. Certainly is a great lump, tonnes of torque for over taking and even off the line it's no slouch.

#46 ·
Little updated on the E this evening, thought I'd go for the clean look on the rear so badges on....

Bit of heat and some peeling off....

Some tar removed and a quick polish...

I personally think it looks nice and neat. There is a feint outline where the letters were but that may be just where the paint has faded around the badges. You'd be hard pushed to notice though.

Subliminal message from my CDI to all the EV's out there :lol:

#53 ·
Not much of an update just some pics.

The E got a wash last night so I snapped some pics before work.

Two coats of Collinite 845 giving some crazy beading after the nights downpour

Can see the headlights aren't perfect but better than they had been.

Overall I think she's wearing her 103k/13 years rather well.

Had a new battery installed on Friday as I'd been receiving warnings on the dash about a lack of power and features switching off etc. I'd charged the battery but eventually it died and my mum had to rescue me mid-thunderstorm with jump leads!

Next up is getting a chip in the windscreen repaired.

#56 ·
Good point, well made hahaha I'm totally with you mate, the odd locking nut is a bit out of place.

Thing I'm not sure how easy the nut cover is going to be to take off if you force it over a round bolt but I may give it a go when I get home. For the sake of £5 though these covers are really good, took about 10 days to arrive but far better than the plastic equivalent and saves time over painting them anyway.

#58 ·
Hi Alex.... great looking merc... you can tell its been well cared for ...

I really like those matt black wheel bolt covers... any chance of a link to the seller you brought them from.????

Cheers in advance ... and good luck in your Merc ownership....

Sata:thumb::thumb::thumb:

#59 ·
Another eBay update today, LED side lights. I think they always look a hell of a lot better on a car than normal bulbs but alongside Xenons they're almost essential.

Not sure if it's the camera but I'm sure they didn't look quite morning pee yellow to the naked eye but either way not good.

Picked up a pair of 'error free' LED bulbs that have 9 LEDs per bulb.

Much brighter.

Not an exact match but much whiter alongside the Xenons :thumb:

Hi Alex.... great looking Merc... you can tell its been well cared for ...

I really like those matt black wheel bolt covers... any chance of a link to the seller you brought them from.????

Cheers in advance ... and good luck in your Merc ownership....

Sata:thumb::thumb::thumb:
Thanks mate. I was sorting through the cars history today, OCD and putting it all in a new folder. There is just bags of history, servicing, minor bits and pieces done. All good to have with a car of this age.

As requested here's a link mate, can go for other funky colours should you wish :thumb:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20PCS-SIL...hash=item25ba9ca805:m:m8hZjVTHFmb5XSXcLtv1-2Q

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.