Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 09-08-2017, 10:10 PM   #291
wrxmania
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Back to the exhaust - used the Bosal Exhaust Cement to do the first piece of filling of the cracked outer skin, after taking away any loose pieces. This was built up in layers as it dried in.

Time to start on the rough side - this is after some cleaning:

Bilt Hamber time!

Had to give the plastic under tray a quick clean (above):

More Bosal Exhaust Cement, this time on the join in the Y piece, after the Bilt Hamber was dry, again I built this up in layers. Whether it will make any difference to the chances of cracking, who knows:

Other side rear jacking points were the same as the first side:

Bilt Hamber:

First layers of Bosal Exhaust Cement on the rougher backbox, again after detaching any loose metal:

Starting to look fairly sound:

Time for the Hammerite High Temp Paint, which dries quickly and to a nice matte black finish so ideal. As I was working on the faces of the backboxes, also sprayed some onto the rust treated pipe work - hopefully help protect it a bit from the elements, although I know most exhausts rust from the inside out. If nothing else, makes the underside look blacker for a while. You can see in the pics the odd patch that looks glossy, as it dries in:

Afterwards, a much improved sight from where we started:

The patch on the better box is now also coated with a couple of coats of the Hammerite paint - seems pretty sound now

Second coat on the poorer box is still hardening up, so I will leave that one overnight before I get some Hammerite on it to seal it. The other two areas I added some Cement to are coated already:

It looks MUCH better now from the back and hopefully I have helped add a decent amount of time onto a structurally good system, that obviously is pretty good quality (assume the boxes are stainless):

Last edited by wrxmania; 09-08-2017 at 10:26 PM.
wrxmania is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wrxmania For This Useful Post:
VeiRoN (18-08-2017)
Old 10-08-2017, 10:20 PM   #292
wrxmania

Garage
Another busy day with Santa's helper working alongside me (i.e. the 4 year old). She actually quite likes "cleaning the car" but needs "safe" jobs!

Anyway, first job, check the one part of the exhaust still unpainted with exhaust cement. Still not dry in main part, which is odd, so scooped it back in to thin it out (instructions say put on thickly!) and it dry:

Later on it was dry so put a thin 2nd layer on it, and tonight I have added a 3rd layer to level it off. Hopefully be solid by the morning them I will get some Hammerite High Temp paint on it, which seems to be doing a good job elsewhere.

First job, try an initial clean on the drivers seat. It has some fading & obvious colour strip as the dealer must have used too strong a dose of whatever he cleaned it with! Looks like this, complete with dark trouser wearing for a year colouring (even though it has AG leather protection and Meguairs too):

Using the Wowo's Leather Cleaner (an easy to use spray) and a leather brush, I tackled the bolster on the edge of the seat first.

Before:

After:

Seat base - you can see that I have cleaned the lower part first:

And then the rest of the base:

Base compared to the back - better, but still needs work:

The seat done, and a quick coat of Wowo's Leather Sealant

The seat looks a decent amount cleaner, still patchy and I'l have a go at this more later, but the leather feels more supple and is definitely better. The rest of the leather in the car is almost perfect, but obviously the drivers seat has taken the brunt of the lack of care/cleaning!

Now onto giving the car a decent wash. After rinsing the car with the PW, it was onto foam (Autosmart HD Foam). Left this to dwell for a bit...

The car was then 2 bucket washed (read 3 - one for the helper) and then whilst she worked on the wheels, I dried the car with a pair of super plush drying towels and then coated the car in a mix of Sonax BSD & Demon Shine (70:30), which goes on great and is very easy to remove. It also does a great job. I later tonight did the wheels with the same mix - spray and buff.

This had arrived today too:

Time to get the windows cleaned. Started with Wowo's Window Cleaner, then used 100% IPA, buffed off to strip the windows of (hopefully) most nonsense. The windows had also been clayed last week too.

I hope this stuff does a great job because it is HORRIBLE to get off!!! Eventually I was using (after checking multiple forums with the same issue) a single drop on a pad (which did cover a whole window) and it was a bit easier - but it was still much harder than anything I have put on glass before. It was like getting Plastic Dressing on the glass - as I discovered tonight doing a test of two plastic protection products (WoWo's Plastic Dressing is an absolute BI*CH to get off glass!).

However, I did discover one trick to remove it when some marks are just not shifting - the side of my hand!!

Eventually had the glass looking great:

Next up was trying out the Wowo's Tyre Dressing (sprayed onto a pad then applied):

Before:

One Coat:

Two Coats:

Let's see how long it lasts as it's FAR less messy than the Meguiars Endurance Gel and is less glossy, which I like. Wowo's said the gloss comes from building up coats.

Hopefully get the exhaust finished tomorrow, and I have my wife's car as she is at work so will be using a final holiday day to give that a decent going over (based on the tolerance of my 4 year old helper!).
Old 10-08-2017, 10:28 PM   #293
wrxmania

Garage
Did a quick test on my wife's car tonight using two plastic dressing products (it badly needs it) - WoWo's Plastic Dressing and Auto Finesse Revive. Cleaned the plastic first, then used IP, then soapy water/dried again before applying.

Rear bumper first (forgot before but it was BAD including polish marks etc). This is the Wowo's:

Onto the arch - this is the before:

After, using Auto Finesse Revive, which does not go on as well as the Wowo's or seem to spread as well - still looks good though:

Back to Wowo's for the bottom of the door:

And some other snaps of the same type of stuff - much improved - have taken a note of what is where before I do the rest to compare it over time for fading:

Also paid a visit to B&Q, Halfords and PoundWorld to stock up on cheap stuff for the garage:

Managed to get 3 x 1 litre of Nilglass (SUPER glass cleaner), 20 microfibres, 2 good glass cloths and a cheap noodle microfibre wash mitt (including discounts from B&Q) for £21! Then managed, with discount to get another 10 microfibres from Halfords for £4.25 (and a touch up paint for my wheels). Then it was off to PoundWorld to get some storage boxes, some air fresheners, and a few other bits and bobs for car cleaning.

This also arrived from SGS when I was out - and weighs a TONNE - no doubt a solid piece of kit in the box. 3 tonne trolley jack and a set of wheel chocks. Time to (find time) to get the wheels off and start working in the arches!

Old 10-08-2017, 11:01 PM   #294
wrxmania

Garage
This thing is outrageous (and heavy) - this feels like it would lift my house!! It's much bigger and MUCH sturdier than the Halfords one I can't find anywhere.

r
Old 13-08-2017, 10:10 PM   #295
wrxmania

Garage
Another 450 miles on the car over this weekend! 3rd service since I bought it in July last year coming up next month I think.

Some gratuitous beading shots:

And these arrived in the post too - great read so far - I really should be a DA polisher & pads - need to find someone moving to a rotary who wants to sell me one at a decent price!

Old 15-08-2017, 10:48 AM   #296
Andyblue

Looking good - where did you get the black hole from - fancy trying some on father in laws car ?

Cheers
Andyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 11:06 AM   #297
wrxmania

Garage
Not 100% sure but it's not too expensive (about £12/13 a bottle). Also been using CG Black Light recently, which seems to do a very good job too, goes on/off easily and feels good. Similar price.

I think the difference is that Black Hole is a glaze, with fillers etc but no real protection, whereas Black Light is a nano sealant, with some fillers but offers protection. If waxing on top of it, both will do an equally good job, but the Poor Boys might fill more marking.

Last edited by wrxmania; 15-08-2017 at 01:29 PM.
Old 16-08-2017, 10:20 PM   #298
wrxmania

Garage
Had the day off so planned some work on the car, but the rain put paid to much of it!!

Anyway, managed some work, between the rain, and tonight in the rain.

First off, for some reason (I think from the 4 year old spraying Sonax BSD mix on my car in the rain, and then not being cleaned off properly) I have what looks like water spotting in various places and one side of the front screen - it has proven VERY difficult to remove.

Eventually a process of IPA, Tardis, Swissol Paint Cleanser, and some effort repeating this several times, I have removed most of it - it's almost like it has burnt through the top coat of the paint, but actually it's just through all the multiple layers of protection.

Anyway a coat of Black Light, followed by a coat of Soft 99 Kiwami Extreme Gloss (2 in some places) then finished off with a coat of BSD/Demon Shine buffed off (which is a great mix).

Car looks pretty decent with it on (you can even see the rain starting in the shots!):

And some beading:

I then re-did the glass with the G-Tecniq G5.

Then spent some time cleaning out the rear badges, which have a mix of film, wax residue and junk - again, came up well:

Another coat on the tyres of WoWo's Tyre Dressing (goes on very well, does not last much longer than a week at most). I like it - MUCH less messy than the Meguiars Ultimate. I touched in some stone chips (and a nice scrape from someones door today in a car park!).

Tonight I did some work on the tail pipes of my exhausts, which were not too bad but here are some very poor nighttime glaring, show every mark still left shots!! I used a mix of IPA, Tardis, Steel Wool and Autosol Metal Polish to clean them up.

Also got another coat of Hammerite High Temp Paint on the exhaust repairs, which are looking pretty solid now, and also the join in the tailpipes, which I have already rust treated, sealed with exhaust cement, and painted with the Hammerite. HOPEFULLY this work will help keep it going for quite a few years yet

Also, the painting work on the walls, skirtings and roof in the nearly finished Garage refurb is nearly done and hopefully I can start to put it all into some sort of shape soon!! Needs a really good clean too, including the floor. The windows needs a bit of work, and multiple coats of paint as does some woodwork around the sink plinth and the sockets/switches at the garage door (mounted on a board) to make it look less industrial. Overall I am pretty pleased with it. Some quick shots to give you an idea:

As I was finishing painting last night, one of my racks for car stuff, which needs bolted to the other as a support strap is missing, collapsed - wood straight through the wall about an inch squared!! Luckily not in too bad a place and I have been building up layers of filler on it before painting that area.

Last edited by wrxmania; 17-08-2017 at 12:05 AM.
Old 17-08-2017, 12:18 AM   #299
wrxmania

Garage
Also, a quick video to show the car/Kiwami Extreme sheeting water

Old 17-08-2017, 11:25 AM   #300
wrxmania

Garage
Bargain of the month arrived - £12.31 delivered from CarParts4Less!