Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 02-09-2015, 11:35 AM   #1
Alex_225
Built-Not-Bought

Thanked 1,969 Times in 1,405 Posts
Garage
2007 Mercedes CLS63 AMG

Well I was looking for a replacement for my Megane 225 Trophy. I wanted something faster, bigger, comfier and more luxurious. After considering and doing my homework on M cars I was advised that The CLS AMG was within my price bracket.

I stretched the budget a little as this particular example came up that I couldn't turn down!

She's a 2007 with 17,000 miles on the clock Has a 6.2ltr V8 which makes 507bhp and 465lbs of torque. It has a few options ticked, I believe the seats and satnav were extras. I'm not aware of the original options though but it's got tonnes of features which I am still figuring out.

Here she is the day I picked her up....

Another reason why I was so keen on the car is that my friend (who's father in law was selling), is a professional detailer. So I know the car has been meticulously cared for and is currently coated in Gtechniq products. I believe it has C1 and EXO on the paintwork, G1 on the glass and Smart Fabric on the carpets.

All I have done so far is give the interior a once over, mainly for the sake of it rather than a need for it. So I wiped all the leather down with a damp microfiber, gave any matt plastics a wipe with some Autoglym Rubber & Vinyl Care and gave it a vacuum.

The car has these very nice AMG mats but also a set of rubber protective floor mats, hence these are so mint. Even the boot has a protective liner fitted!

I can honestly say you don't appreciate your car until you clean it yourself. Having been over each part of the interior you begin to appreciate the attention to detail and little features you just wouldn't spot if you let someone else do it.

This weekend I'm hoping to get outside and give the outside a once over, possibly a spray with some Gyeon Wetcoat and get some better exterior pictures.

All I can say is I'm absolutely loving everything about the car (except maybe fuel consumption but it's worth it). Roll on the weekends washing!
Alex_225 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Alex_225 For This Useful Post:
c16rkc (05-10-2016), cleancar (27-08-2016), Crackers (28-08-2016), Ducky (02-09-2015), j3ggo (02-09-2015), litcan91 (02-09-2015), Naranto (28-10-2015), onks (07-02-2017), streaky (06-09-2015), THQuattro (30-01-2016)
Old 02-09-2015, 11:48 AM   #2
makelja
Sponge Jockey

Nice set of wheels.
This model has been my favorite for ages. And I would drive one if I did not suffer from Audism. Not excactly this AGM version, but something what looks the same from the outside but burns heating oil.
makelja is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to makelja For This Useful Post:
Alex_225 (02-09-2015)
Old 02-09-2015, 11:52 AM   #3
tektas
Sponge Jockey

Nice car

I love the sound of these
tektas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:54 AM   #4
Alex_225
Built-Not-Bought

Garage
Even the non-AMG CLS is a lovely looking motor. I can imagine if you want to cover a lot of miles the diesel version would be an absolute joy to drive and is a great looking car.

The early CLS diesels go for sub-£10k as well. Bit of a bargain.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:13 PM   #5
Alan W
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 2,748 Times in 2,142 Posts
Garage
My favourite ‘big saloon’ and what a bonus that it has been lavished with such care and attention by the previous owner.

Enjoy detailing and maintaining the condition and the glorious sound when driving it!

Alan W
Alan W is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alan W For This Useful Post:
Alex_225 (02-09-2015)
Old 02-09-2015, 12:33 PM   #6
SLK Polisher
Washmitt Meister

Very nice. Enjoy
SLK Polisher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SLK Polisher For This Useful Post:
Alex_225 (02-09-2015)
Old 02-09-2015, 01:25 PM   #7
Alex_225
Built-Not-Bought

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan W View Post
My favourite ‘big saloon’ and what a bonus that it has been lavished with such care and attention by the previous owner.

Enjoy detailing and maintaining the condition and the glorious sound when driving it!

Alan W
Thanks mate, I must admit I love the coupe looks but with four doors. I had been favouring the M6 over M5 but having a little girl it made sense to aim for the M5. The CLS does all that and I'd say looks better than the M6. The overall styling looks less disjointed than the 6 series!

The sound is superb, people turn and look when you're just wafting along because it really does make some noise! Also I don't think I'll ever get tired of the car shaking to life when that engine starts.

Funny thing is because it's such a luxury car I find myself driving very sedately in it. Where my Megane Trophy was a bit of a tear away you found yourself using that 260bhp fairly often (within limits of not driving like a plank!) but with the AMG you get so much satisfaction from the sense of occasion itself I drive very grown up in it haha.
The Following User Says Thank You to Alex_225 For This Useful Post:
Alan W (02-09-2015)
Old 02-09-2015, 03:25 PM   #8
Sport Driver
Sponge Jockey

I loved this first generation CLS, much more than the current, and AMG looks amazing love this car. Lovely car, take a good care for it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_225 View Post

I can honestly say you don't appreciate your car until you clean it yourself.
I find it interesting how this is the case for lot of people, when we bought a new car I felt like it's our only after I cleaned it
Sport Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sport Driver For This Useful Post:
Alex_225 (02-09-2015)
Old 02-09-2015, 03:32 PM   #9
Kerr
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 5,808 Times in 3,767 Posts
As before, it's a very nice car.

It will be interesting how you get on long term. It's certainly nothing like a Megane.

Hopefully it'll be kind to you.
Kerr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 03:37 PM   #10
Alex_225
Built-Not-Bought

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Driver View Post
I find it interesting how this is the case for lot of people, when we bought a new car I felt like it's our only after I cleaned it
The thing is for me I've had very familiar cars for the last ten years, I still have a 2006 Megane 225 I bought new so then buying a second one (the Trophy) to use daily meant it was very familiar. Admittedly the Twingo Gordini was a different model but again I went over that inch by inch even the first day I got it.

The Merc is another breed of car altogether though and I am new to it as a brand. So not only getting to grips with the intricacies of the audio/satnav/computer it's nice to look round and see the details around the car.

For example in the rear doors there are ashtrays (an old skool feature and pleased to say unusused) but you can see thought has gone into them. Still took each out and shined them up. It's things like that mean you can appreciate what you've got in front of you. You just wouldn't get that if you left it to the local hand car wash to do it. Sounds sappy but totally made sense yesterday.

Sad as it is, I can't wait to get outside at the weekend and do the exterior!!