Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 09-05-2017, 10:41 PM   #1
Ben_W
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

F10 520d M Sport

Here we go again......

So, insignia sold and still pootling about in the Mazda, last week I got a call from my new boss. Mainly work stuff but at the end, he asked me if I was interested in a 520d BMW, available right away. Didn't take much thinking about to say yes. 'Knock off early, get your hire car dehired and come and get it this afternoon' was the reply.......the day couldn't go quick enough.

Now, I've no idea how long I'll have this car. It's a couple of grades above what I should really have. It's my old bosses car but he's left and it's daft for the company to be paying for a hire car as well as having this stood. I imagine once someone comes into the business who gets a car at that level, it will be gone but until then, it's mine.

So, the car. 2015, F10, 520d M sport in grey. Semi auto with flappy paddles, usual M Sport stuff, Oyster leather interior and 47k on the clocks. I'll be honest, the interior colour isn't one I'd choose (for reasons you'll see in a bit) but other than that, it's a very nice place to be indeed.

Spec

It wasn't the cleanest. Knowing my old gaffer, he wasn't much of a car man and it was a bit of a mobile office. Needed a bloody good clean inside and out (and still does!) First thing I did was wash it as best I could. Got basically a service wash as this was the Thursday night before leaving for a stag do abroad on the Friday. Id run out of fallout and was running out of time, so just got a service wash and good to see down with the pressure washer. The good news is the paint looks to be typically BMW hard as nails with very little in the way of swirling at all. Very small dent on the passenger side rear quarter, one of the same side of the car on the front bumper and it's been keyed on the driver's side rear quarter. Not very long, but deep.

Pics of the dents are on my work phone but this is the scratch..

Can see the depth of it on this one…

So, where to begin. Wheels.

Fronts were a state. Lot of brake dust staining so went to see my local Autosmart guy (Hello Martin!) and got some fallout. Jacked it up (it's a heavy, heavy car) and took off the wheels. No befores I'm afraid and only pics of one wheel.

Still got two to do so will get more pics.

Then under the bonnet…..hmmm.

Armed with G101, a detailing brush and a watering can, off I went. Still work to do but it looks better.

As said, still more to do but I was soooo cold Monday (it was 28° in Malaga on Sunday, and 8° here……) I didn't do too much.

Then tonight, I decided to have a crack at the leather, just too see how dirty it was. Now it didn't look too bad to the naked eye, but, I could clearly see it was dirty. A soft bristle nail brush, a weak APC solution and some hot water and I got busy. It's not until you clean some of it you realise how grubby it is. These pics show the reason I'm not keen on this colour into.

Lots to do on the driver's seat. Centre console was even worse….

Lots, lots more to do in here. In the meantime, I'm becoming increasingly impressed buy the economy. Filled up yesterday afternoon and after a bit of around town and one journey to work and back, I'd done 150 miles at 49.9mpg with it still showing 600+ miles of range. Not bad for the cars size and weight.

Love it already. Lots to do, and it wont be much this weekend as I'm on another stag do in Dublin…..!

Last edited by Ben_W; 09-05-2017 at 10:45 PM.
Ben_W is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ben_W For This Useful Post:
Cookies (09-05-2017), Derek Mc (10-05-2017), Starbuck88 (10-05-2017), uberbmw (10-05-2017), VeiRoN (09-05-2017)
Old 10-05-2017, 10:07 AM   #2
Derek Mc

Garage
I have a huge soft spot for F10's and I personally love that interior despite it being hard work. Economy is staggering my last 5er an e60 managed 55mpg average over 27,000 miles.

Your health to enjoy it and hopefully keep it a while!

Last edited by Derek Mc; 10-05-2017 at 10:25 AM.
Derek Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek Mc For This Useful Post:
Ben_W (10-05-2017)
Old 10-05-2017, 01:44 PM   #3
Starbuck88

Thanked 1,931 Times in 1,337 Posts
Garage
F10s are lovely motors.

I like the colour combo and as you're now taking care of it, it'll start looking like new again
Starbuck88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Starbuck88 For This Useful Post:
Ben_W (10-05-2017)
Old 10-05-2017, 07:06 PM   #4
JoeyTaffy93
Sponge Jockey

Lovely motor, looking forward to more pics. I had an E60 530d that averaged 56mpg on a run at 70/80mph! Cracking economy and performance.
JoeyTaffy93 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JoeyTaffy93 For This Useful Post:
Ben_W (10-05-2017)
Old 10-05-2017, 08:13 PM   #5
ibiza55

Thanked 1,228 Times in 1,196 Posts
Garage
Lovely jubbly, smiles better already, jammy thing.
ibiza55 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ibiza55 For This Useful Post:
Ben_W (10-05-2017)
Old 10-05-2017, 10:08 PM   #6
Lespaul

Send a message via MSN to Lespaul
Great improvement on the interior, looking forward to the updates.
Was never a big BMW fan until I drove a 5 series, great cars and love mine
Lespaul is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lespaul For This Useful Post:
Ben_W (11-05-2017)
Old 10-05-2017, 10:33 PM   #7
Cookies
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 3,857 Times in 2,857 Posts
Garage
I think you've just given that big 5 a new lease of life bud. Cracking job, especially on the interior. As you know, I had one out as a courtesy car, and absolutely loved it. So much so, that I'll more than likely buy one when I change my 3 series.

Keep the pics coming chum.

Cooks

PS - health to drive btw!!!

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cookies For This Useful Post:
Ben_W (11-05-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 05:05 PM   #8
MadOnVaux!

Thanked 1,061 Times in 994 Posts
Great work so far Ben
MadOnVaux! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MadOnVaux! For This Useful Post:
Ben_W (11-05-2017)
Old 14-05-2017, 09:38 PM   #9
Ben_W

Well, haven't really done too much more on this. After last weeks Spanish stag do shenanigans, this week it was Ireland, Dublin to be exact.

So after a weekend of drinking, I got on board the Ryanair Vomit Comet (so called because most of the blokes on board were hanging out of their ar$es and there was at least half a dozen being sick....) at 10:15 this morning, I got home at about 1pm.

Several gallons of tea later, I went out to do a bit more. The two wheels on the driver's side more specifically. Again, no before pics (my phone was on charge) but an after of the rear.

Usual stuff, pre wash, fallout, Tardis, Jetseal109.....

Then it just got a service wash, dry down and did the tyres with some AG Tyre stuff. Then it was over to my parents for a massive Sunday dinner....took this pic as the car basked in the evening sunshine...

I'm loving this car more and more.....
Ben_W is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ben_W For This Useful Post:
Cookies (14-05-2017)
Old 14-05-2017, 10:08 PM   #10
Cookies
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 3,857 Times in 2,857 Posts
Garage
Fine looking car that, chum. Wheels are a fantastic job. Like new tbh. Did you enjoy yourself over here? Think the 306 would like it? Lol

Cooks

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cookies For This Useful Post:
Ben_W (15-05-2017)