Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Lifestyle > The Sports and Fitness Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Sports and Fitness Zone For everything from Football to Rugby to Tennis and everything in between!

Old 16-06-2018, 10:45 AM   #1
BigJimmyBovine
Orbital Oracle

Triathlon tips

Got my first ever triathlon on the 24th, it's a super sprint so not mega distances, 368m swim, 11km bike and 3km run. I'm not doing it to be competitive, just to finish it for myself. If I have fun I may look toward doing a proper sprint event and train more seriously for it.

I'm a little nervous to be honest, can anyone offer any tips to maximise my enjoyment and minimise messing around at transitions?

Thanks, James.
BigJimmyBovine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 11:16 AM   #2
Bustanut
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Hydrate and eat well the day before. Also rest up for three to four days beforehand. I’ve not done triathlon but have done plenty of half Marathons and found this makes a massive difference for what fuel you need on the day. At one point I was carrying a camelback and gels but found they made me feel sick after the event. If I did the above I could run the full distance and only need water to see me through. I would also feel fine after. Good luck.
Bustanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 01:04 PM   #3
BigJimmyBovine
Orbital Oracle

Thanks for the advice.

My pre-race rest has actually been somewhat longer than the 3-4 days planned, minor ankle roll on a run 2 weeks ago, gave it a week and then had a few runs on it but not been doing anywhere near the amount I was before. This week will probably be a short swim and slow longer run and nothing more.

I've tried a few energy gels for longer sessions and found they didn't really help, something for recovery after though has made a massive difference.

I'll be doing some research into what to eat the night before and the morning of the race, little worried about breakfast with it being a 7:20 start
The Following User Says Thank You to BigJimmyBovine For This Useful Post:
Bustanut (17-06-2018)
Old 17-06-2018, 02:26 PM   #4
ncd

One thing I can suggest is practice cycling then running. Your legs will feel weird when you first start running after the cycle transition.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
ncd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 02:38 PM   #5
BigJimmyBovine
Orbital Oracle

I found that, I've practiced it a few times and my legs want to go off at a stupid pace for the first 1/2km! I'm actually struggling most with swimming then running the same day, hopefully it's because I'm doing far more in the pool than I will be on the day
Old 17-06-2018, 03:15 PM   #6
A&J

Thanked 1,195 Times in 869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimmyBovine View Post
368m swim, 11km bike and 3km run.
Very short event. Youll be done in under 1h...dont panic, dont exaggerate, dont overthink it. Have fun and enjoy. Practice transitions between events (switching shoes & clothing) will save you a few minutes.
A&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 05:12 PM   #7
BigJimmyBovine
Orbital Oracle

Oh yes, definitely short! Was overweight and lazy 6 months ago and this is just so that those sessions in the gym were towards something. If I end up enjoying myself and start some structured training I may do a sprint or longer.
Old 17-06-2018, 05:16 PM   #8
t1mmy
Orbital Oracle

Honestly just enjoy it. Don’t worry if you end up faffing about in transition.
t1mmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2018, 09:02 AM   #9
chunkytfg

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&J View Post
Very short event. Youll be done in under 1h...dont panic, dont exaggerate, dont overthink it. Have fun and enjoy. Practice transitions between events (switching shoes & clothing) will save you a few minutes.
Definitely the bit about over thinking it!

Transitions are all about keeping it simple!

Assuming you use a number belt....

Small towel on floor by side of bike, 2 pairs of shoes for cycling a running. Cycle shoes at the front running at the back. Helmet on top of cycle shoes upturned and loosened off and unclipped so it just plonks on your head easily. Race belt also unclipped and lasted over top of helmet.

Run from pool to bike, belt on(number at back), helmet on while slipping feet into shoes. Do shoes up, grab bike and run to mount line. Job done.

Dismount bike and run into transition with bike, rack bike, helmet off, shoes off, running shoes on, run to transition exit while turning number belt round so number now on front. Job done.

When you set up transition, walk yourself through it from entry to exit, working out where your bike is and where you have to go.

It's a short event, don't bother with gloves, sunnies, gels etc. You won't really need them.

Keep it simpl!

And most of all, enjoy yourself! Remember it's supposed to be fun! It'll hurt but in a fun way
chunkytfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2018, 09:30 AM   #10
BigJimmyBovine
Orbital Oracle

Wow, some in depth tips there. Thanks! Simplifying it a bit more than that though. No number belt, just a t shirt with number pinned, cycling in my running shoes too.

Found out that the run is further than advertised when I signed up, around 4.5km but should be ok. I had to declare an estimated swim time per 100m which it turns out I'm faster than too which I'm hoping won't cause problems in the pool with slower swimmers in front, although I'm not sure it's actually possible to be slower than me!!!