Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Technical > Help..!
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Help..! Questions relating to products and how to use them.

Old 18-06-2018, 09:26 PM   #1
JamieOS
Unwashed Member

Bilt Hamber Auto-Wheel issue

Hi lads, I've been having an issue with my spray bottle of Bilt Hamber Auto-Wheel lately. I bought a 1L sprayer a while back when I first got into detailing and found it to be great so recently after it ran out, I bought a 5 litre container so it would last a while longer. I thoroughly washed out the original bottle and also ran a half litre of soapy water through the spray trigger and then ran some clean water through it just to be sure. I let it dry for a few hours and filled it up. Everything went fine the first time I used it. No issues. Same with the second time about a week or so later. But on the third time, something happened after a few sprays. The trigger got stiff and stopped spraying anything. I found this a bit strange so I got an old empty sprayer from an old bottle of Korrosol, claened it out and poured the contents from the faulty Auto-wheel sprayer into the Korrosol sprayer. After a few sprays, the same thing! the sprayer sort of got stiff and seized up like the last time. So after getting a bit ****ed off, I got a more robust detailing spray bottle and poured the contents from the Korrosol bottle into that and gave it a go. After a few sprays, the trigger got stiff and actually sort of blew up (not joke), It broke. Its absolutely bamboozled me.

So I cleaned out the original auto-wheel sprayer and managed to get all of the auto-wheel out of the spray head. I ran some water through it to test if it worked again and it was fine. I ran a full litre of water through it (fingers nearly fell off afterwards lol) and every drop sprayed out perfectly. I went to pour in the contents that were originally in this sprayer (the contents that originally caused to seize up) and I noticed that the liquid looked like it wasn't as watery as the liquid in the 5L container. Somehow, it had become sort of thicker like oil or something. So I ran it through a funnel with a sort of sieve filter in it and tried it out. It worked fine again. I managed to clean all 4 wheels on my car and all 4 on my dads with it. Problem solved I thought. Until I pulled it out a weeks or so later, gave it a few squirts and the trigger went stiff again!. I poured it through the funnel into the Korrosol bottle (which I also cleaned out) and it worked fine again. Until the following week. Same problem...

Anyone have any ideas? The only explanation I have is that I currently store my spray bottles in a picnic basked with a sort of reflective foil lining on the inside and I think that might be trapping some heat. Its also possible that the sun may be reflecting on it where it is currently stored. I'm going to see if storing the auto-wheel spray bottle somewhere dark and cool makes any difference after I get it working the next time I was my car.

Also, I'm a to the forum and to detailing so go easy on me!

EDIT: Added pic of the sprayer that exploded.

JamieOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 10:02 PM   #2
Atkinson91
Washmitt Meister

If the sprayer has any metal springs in it that aren't stainless steel, korrosol and auto wheels will eat them, when you sprayed some... When it was working, did any red/purple fluid squirt out first?

I don't understand why the actual bilt hamber sprayer has done the same thing though, it should be made to withstand those chemicals... Hmm

I've had a couple of kwazar sprayers do a similar thing, just completely sieze up until I've given them a hard squeeze that freed them up.... No explosions though

was there any debris in the bottom of the bottle that may of got sucked up into the trigger ?

Last edited by Atkinson91; 18-06-2018 at 10:14 PM.
Atkinson91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 11:14 PM   #3
JamieOS
Unwashed Member

No debris in the bottles and they were cleaned before filling them up and no red/purple fluid came out at any point (nothing had reacted with any metal). The sprayer was advertised as chemical resistant in the detailing store I bought it, so it should be able to handle this sort of stuff.

Its just inexplicable to me. All I can think of is that heat may be causing the liquid to become more viscous. Thats my only theory. Beyond that, I'm at a loss lol.
Old 19-06-2018, 10:51 PM   #4
Atkinson91
Washmitt Meister

Hmm, strange that they both went at the same time!
Me too, keep plenty of spares around :P
Atkinson91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 03:02 PM   #5
JamieOS
Unwashed Member

Its done it again, this time a cheap spray bottle intended for garden chemicals. I'm just going to have to see if the online store I got it from will exchange it or something.

Its so strange, because I had a bottle of Auto-wheel and a bottle of Korrosol that lasted me almost all of last summer with no issues.

EDIT: Anyone have any alternative products that do a similar job?
Old 24-06-2018, 10:49 AM   #6
tosh
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Bilt Hamber Auto-Wheel issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieOS View Post
EDIT: Anyone have any alternative products that do a similar job?

Yes, my bottle of Megs Ultimate Wheel Cleaner does the same

You need a spray bottle with no metal components; there is one with a plastic spring called the Afa Op-Us - they come on Mr Muscle bottles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by tosh; 24-06-2018 at 11:00 AM.
tosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tosh For This Useful Post:
nickyd (25-06-2018)