Detailing World Forum banner

Daniels Blue 182.

216K views 455 replies 102 participants last post by  Rakti 
#1 ·
Picked this up yesterday down in High Wycombe and drove down from Leeds.

Absolutely loved the drive back, my last car was a diesel PD130 Seat Ibiza sport as seen in here which I'd modded a fair bit engine wise and got it running around 200bhp which was fun but I just wanted a car that handles amazing and I think I found it :)

Anyway, this was in the petrol station just where I picked it up from. Love the colour so much.

Lovely and shiny in my drive!

Then today I started to crack on with some jobs and seeing what I have to play with :D She's in excellent condition bar a few things as shown later below but here is her now.

Please excuse the mess in the background, having our windows done haha

That's not a scuff on the rear bumper, scared myself for a second when looking at this pic haha

Now the bad parts, the headlights desperately need restoring

There is a scuff here.

And the wheels need a refurb so badly.

Anyway, I removed the throttle body and gave it a clean up as it was ever so slightly carboned up.

The emissions were high on the MOT, apparently its running rich at around 2000rpm but okay at idle?
so I wanted to have a look at some of the sensors to see if they were dirty and also to inspect the spark plugs to see their condition so started removing everything to get to it.

Spark plugs looked fairly new, along with the air filter.

Started to wire in my dash cam :D.

I took a feed from the cigarette socket as it comes on with ignition.

Previous owner liked chocolate apparently.

I then fed the wire up along the B pillar

All in!

Need to sort the interior out and just ordered £40's worth of car detailing stuff including some more clay, iron and tar remover, wash and some pads and applicators so should be cleaning her up sometime next week inbetween graduate job interviews!!

Thanks for reading so far

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice mate. :)

I did the opposite. Went from. 172 to. Fabia mk1 vRS, truth be told the clio was more fun:)

See your suffering from the usual steering grip melting too, is that an aftermarket exhaust too ?

Main thing on these cars is the timing belt, make sure they are done at correct time!

Get ya self on cliosport too :)

#7 ·
Thank you for all the comments so far. It's nice to have another project to play with.

The other day I removed the seats to clean under them. They weren't too bad but anyway...

The car has quite a lot of dust build up, a bit neglected from the previous owner.

Found a pound.

Peekaboo.

I then removed the acoustic valve for a little more noise at the top end

Then went for a drive and took a few snaps. Photography isn't really my thing... haha

More interior cleaning, look at that dirty knob ;)

Need to clean these seatbelts properly, any ideas what will remove the crud?

Then all done and took some more snaps in the drive. Came out really well. I'm giving it a proper exterior detail tomorrow, just got some new goodies in :D

#12 ·
Nice project. With the belts the above advice is spot on. Just undo the torx bolt at the bottom of the belt and you can then get 90% of the belt out of the car to save getting any water on the interior. close the door and clean it. I also used a nail brush to gently scrub the belts and also using hot water will make the washing powder work better.

This worked perfectly with my 182 belts and you'll be surprised how well they come up. Will make a huge difference.

#13 ·
Regarding the belts I did similar to the above although for the best results:

First wash your panels down (will explain why later)

Next take pull your belts until they reach the end of their travel (and undo the torx bolt at the bottom which holds the belt in place)

Next take as much of the belt out of the car and shut the car door, effectively trapping the belt in the door shut and leaving most of the belt outside the car

Then, with the help of a friend ask them to and tension to the belt so it is flat against the side of the car (preferably the glass so you dont have it resting on the paint! This is why I mentioned to clean your panels too)

Finally with the belt laid flat and your friend holding it in place get a pressure washer and blast the dirt off (make sure you do both sides)

They will literally come up like new.

#17 ·
Thank you for the tips with the belts, worked an absolute treat as you'll see later in the thread :) Thanks again

Rinsed the car down initially.

DSCN2128 by dann2707, on Flickr

Then put the belts in washing powder.

DSCN2129 by dann2707, on Flickr

And washed the car with Chem guys glossworks

DSCN2130 by dann2707, on Flickr

DSCN2131 by dann2707, on Flickr

Fitted a new number plate bulb, LED SMD!

DSCN2132 by dann2707, on Flickr

More random pics :)

Car was clayed with Bilt hamber medium, glazed with Prima amigo and waxed with Collinite #915

DSCN2133 by dann2707, on Flickr

DSCN2134 by dann2707, on Flickr

DSCN2135 by dann2707, on Flickr

DSCN2136 by dann2707, on Flickr

DSCN2137 by dann2707, on Flickr

DSCN2138 by dann2707, on Flickr

DSCN2139 by dann2707, on Flickr

DSCN2140 by dann2707, on Flickr

It then rained today so I took some beading pics

DSCN2142 by dann2707, on Flickr

DSCN2144 by dann2707, on Flickr

DSCN2146 by dann2707, on Flickr

DSCN2147 by dann2707, on Flickr

DSCN2150 by dann2707, on Flickr

Here are the seatbelts, came up so well!!

DSCN2151 by dann2707, on Flickr

DSCN2152 by dann2707, on Flickr

DSCN2153 by dann2707, on Flickr

DSCN2156 by dann2707, on Flickr

DSCN2157 by dann2707, on Flickr

#23 ·
Again, I really appreciate the comments! Thank you :D

Today when it stopped raining I tackled the horribly faded and green headlights. I was going to buy a headlight restoration kit but thought i'd try something else after a few searches.

Started with wet and dry 1200, then 2000 then finally 2500 until the green had gone. Then machine polished them on the slowest setting with megs #105 until they started getting clearer. Then glazed with prima amigo and put two layers of Collinite #915

Really happy with the results, they're not absolutely brand new perfect as I didn't want to overdue the machine polishing with it being plastic and me being a total noob with a machine polisher.

This is before. well foggy at mainly the top of the lens:

DSCN2068 by dann2707, on Flickr

2014-06-28 15.53.59 by dann2707, on Flickr

Can barely see the orange indicator.

Then afterwards.

Still a little hazy so went over it again.

2014-06-28 15.54.05 by dann2707, on Flickr

2014-06-28 16.38.00 by dann2707, on Flickr

2014-06-28 16.41.43 by dann2707, on Flickr

2014-06-28 17.11.10 by dann2707, on Flickr

2014-06-28 17.11.17 by dann2707, on Flickr

And from the front before and after

Before.

DSCN2140 by dann2707, on Flickr

After.

2014-06-28 17.11.02 by dann2707, on Flickr

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.