Detailing World Forum banner

Introduce Yourself...

152K views 80 replies 55 participants last post by  ollienoclue 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello Folks,

This thread is solely to introduce yourself and to tell us about the equipment
that you will be using for your folding. It's purpose is to help others give you
a possible answer to questions that my arise in the FAQ threads. At least we
will have a basic idea of what you are folding.

Please don't post support questions here, there are dedicated threads for those.

Welcome to the DW Folding@Home Team!

Regards,
Steve

#2 ·
OK, lets get the ball rolling...

I'm Steve, I don't claim to be an expert with computers, or indeed with FaH.
I've been folding with just the basic CPU client for about 4 or 5 months. At
least when I'm not pounding the keyboard, I'm happy to know that the
computer is doing something other than just using the leccy.

Presently running one basic CPU client along with a very recently installed
GPU client on an Intell Duo Core Windows XP machine with 2Gb of memory.
The machine has an ATI 4650 graphics card with 1Gb of memory.

At present I'm averaging around 1,100 FaH points a day.

Regards,
Steve

#3 ·
I'm Andy :wave:

Im more of an IT guru, working as a developer and infrastructure consultant.

I have setup FaH on my Windows Server 2008 x64 AD/DNS/DHCP development server at home which does nothing for 20 hours every day. Its a dual core 2.20 AMD Opteron with a 4GB RAM, but soon to be re-installed as a Citrix XenServer virtualisation box with more RAM.

I have also setup a FaH VM on a redundant work server to give the team a boost for now. Its a HP DL380 G6 rack mounted server located in a london datacentre, currently the VM has 8 virtual cores from the Intel Xeon E5540 2.26 and 18GB RAM.

#6 ·
Im brent

I work in as a branch manger in a timber improrters and merchants, so i know a small amout about pcs as i have to look after them but know lots more about timber.

I run a small buisness from home so have put the client on my file servers so they can make a difference when iam not using them during the day.

Brent

#8 ·
Hello

My name is Amir and i have installed the client on my home machine for now. its a bit slow only a 2.26 Ghz P4 with 1GB Ram. :eek:

However when i get a chance i will be installing this at the office on a Q9550 2.83 Ghz with 8GB Ram, i will install it on all 4 cores and i will also run the GPU client as it has 1024 MB Graphics card. :D

:wave:

#35 ·
Just an update. I installed F@H on my office machine the GPU and CPU sys tray clients but it was taking up way too many resources also as the Graphics card is running a dual screen set up i found that it was Jerky/lagging in pace. (I would overclock but i need the system to stay stable). So on that machine i am running just the CPU client which seems to get through work units very quickly.

At home now i have a new pc which is running just the GPU client it seems to be adding to points quite quickly and Fahmon is saying i am on for an average of 2500 PPD so not too bad from the 1GB grahics card.

Hopefully i can contribute some more points as my old pc was only completing a WU every other day and the office machine doesnt get switched on somedays so it isnt folding all the time.

I hope to be catching some of you up soon! :thumb:

#12 ·
Hi,

I'm Matt, I work as a Cisco engineer full time.

I am quite up with IT and i am running the gpu client on my 9800 GTX XXX Black Edition.

This machine is running a core i7 920 CPU with 6GB RAM.

I may also load up a few CPU clients :)

My fiancee's PC it's running on is another 9800 GTX (If she doesn't know, it doesn't hurt me! :) )

That's a Dual Core Duo @ 2.66GHZ with 4GB ram

I also have 2 linux machines, (Dell 2600 Xeons, Old but reliablish! :) )

Soon to be a few more hopefully too, Switched from CustomPC to DW as CPC i got as far as i could with my setup.

currently at 9224 Points Per Day on my GPU systems.

:)

#16 ·
Hey Guys

My name is Kevin, I'm an aircraft engineer :wave:

Know enough about computers to get myself around, but dont know too much about real detailled stuff:- just spent a while getting my head round the terminology (i.e work units, core, clients blah blah). Got the basic CPU client up and running, and after some brain damage got the GPU client going.

Since my previous computer went belly up in june, I splashed out and got a pentium i7 quad core with 12 GB ram. My next challenge is to see if I can get an SMP client going, though that might take a lot more brain damage to get my head round what's involved, since it seems really complicated. Standby for some questions :lol:

Glad the computers actually being used more than just recording TV programs with media center and the odd blast on Crysis (since the things gotta be on in the first place to be recording stuff, it might as well be doing something worthwhile)

#17 ·
Hi, I'm Matt. Currently unemployed but desperately seeking work!

I know a fair bit about computers and have nicked my brothers tower whilst he's at uni playing with his shiny new laptop. It's only a basic 2.2ghz AMD 64 3500+ processor with 1GB of ram and a Nvidia GeForce 7300Le graphics card, but al least it's doing something now instead of being sat for months on end doing nowt so now it's going to be a pure folding machine for a while :thumb:

#18 ·
Hi I'm Tim Aka Chunkytfg and i'm and alchol............Sorry wrong forum!

I've just installed this F@H thing on my MAcbook pro 2.26ghz with 2gb ram and although it spends it's life on standby when it isn't it doesn't really get taxed much by my surfing so I may as well do something useful with the rest of it's capabilities

#19 ·
Welcome to the DW FaH Team you new guys! :wave:

Can I add a gentle reminder... Do please say who you are, and at least which
FaH client you are / will be running and basic details of your machine into this
thread. If you later post asking for help, people like me can refer to this
thread to gather some info they might need to give you a helpful reply.

Thanks.

Regards,
Steve

#21 ·
Hi Chaps:wave:

I have run Folding for quite a while now, principally for a couple of forum sites I frequented. Most of the machines are at the office, which I now rarely visit, so they will probably have to stay as they are.

However, my laptop and home PC, which are both dual core machines, both running clients for each core, will be swapped to DW. :thumb:

As the adverts say, every little helps! :D

Thanks
Chris

#22 ·
I'm another Andy! :wave:

I work in IT and have setup F@H running on one of CPU cores are work and on the GPU.

Machine is a Dell Optiplex 360 Core2Duo 2.93Ghz w/ 2Gb of RAM. GPU is an ATI 3450

I've got a few other machines I hope to be adding soon so hopefully I can add some worthwhile points!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.