Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Technical > Help..!
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Help..! Questions relating to products and how to use them.

Old 24-07-2018, 06:06 PM   #1
robz
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

New advice needed for old member

So I've been out of the scene for a while now, but back to it now wanting to stop giving my local carwash £10 every few weeks.

Car has not been washed for 6 weeks , but decided to try and go about it the right way

Started with a plain rinse from pressure washer, then used Auto-Finesse Avalanche , Left to dwell for a while then pressure washed off, didn't remove very much at all.

Then followed up with some Simoniz Bug and Tar remover on the worst hit bug areas and tar spots , again didn't remove much but a second application helped, although it seems the pressure washer was doing most of the work here.

Then onto the wash, used a bucket with grit-guard and simoniz wash (can't remember which one, but has wax in it) which lathered up nicely and did seem to get most of the muck off this time, some effort for the baked on dirt needed again)

Lastly the alloys, used Gyeon Iron sprayed onto them which clearly worked as they bled purple (They are powdercoated black gloss) but didn't shift much, second spray and agitated with a brush, again a bit more but still some left, did them with a different mitt and bucket , but have some micro-scratches on the alloys and they seem sort of dull still, can drag my finger through and take off more dirt from the spokes, so dullness I imagine is brake-dust build up.

Any suggestions ? I imagine something like SRP will sort the scratches out on the alloys but concerned about getting the rest of the brake dust off, should I be using something stronger?

Also, A discovery is a lot of car to be working on , any suggestions of a good wax/sealant (can't remember the difference) to keep the clean shine for longer (Car is red)

Any suggestions appreciated, I am very much out of the loop these days!
robz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2018, 06:16 PM   #2
\Rian
Orbital Oracle

Garage
Gyeon Iron aint a wheel cleaner but a fall out remover get yourself some acid based wheel cleaner
\Rian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2018, 06:52 PM   #3
robz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rian View Post
Gyeon Iron aint a wheel cleaner but a fall out remover get yourself some acid based wheel cleaner
Thought it would break down the brake dust , it's quite pad in places.

Isn't acid a bad idea on Powdercoated alloys , given that's what is used to strip them for refurbs?
Old 24-07-2018, 07:08 PM   #4
wish wash

If your cars fully detailed with some good form of wax/ sealant applied it's much easier to keep it clean.

Ditch the avalanche foam and get some bilt hamber auto foam, best stuff on the market. Will do a much better job of pre cleaning.

The bugs and dirt are hard to shift as you have no protection on your paintwork. So all the contaminants bond to the paint, rather than your lsp. (Last stage protection)

Spraying a fallout straight onto dirty wheels is a waste, pressure wash what will come off and use it then. You want to use it too remove bonded contaminants, not surface ones that will come off easy with the pressure washer.

Get a decent wheel cleaner, ph or acidic. Acidic cleaners won't damage your wheels if used correctly. Use acidic cleaners as a one off to give the wheels a thorough clean, then use something more gentle on them when your keeping on top of the cleaning
wish wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2018, 08:24 PM   #5
Forsh

Garage
No need to rinse before the foam/pre-wash
You want the product on there doing it's thing not sliding off or diluted by an already wet surface

Forsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 09:57 AM   #6
robz

Thanks for the advice guys.

Any recommendations on a wheel cleaner, is something like hot wheels any good?

Should I be staying away from auto finesse products then?
Old 25-07-2018, 10:03 AM   #7
Forsh

Garage
Do a search on here for Wonder Wheels - not used it myself but been talked about a bit as being good one off cleaner

Old 25-07-2018, 10:10 AM   #8
Forsh

Garage
http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru....php?p=5108229

Old 25-07-2018, 10:46 AM   #9
robz

Thanks.

Using the karcher foam gun at the moment & it's not bad, but not fantastic, would the autobrite lance be better or are there others?
Old 25-07-2018, 11:01 AM   #10
Andy1972
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by robz View Post
Thanks.

Using the karcher foam gun at the moment & it's not bad, but not fantastic, would the autobrite lance be better or are there others?
I had a karcher one and it was terrible for me. wasn't adjustable and just seemed to spray too weak mix. I spent £25 on one of the many 1litre bottles and brass fitting lances on ebay (looks pretty much like all the retailers sell, just under their brand). This was a game changer for me. Loving thick foam (doesn't seem to matter what foam I use). Very controllable and nicely weighted.

One thing ive learnt coming back into myself is nothing has really changed. Its just different brands have grown in popularity, some of the old favs are no longer around etc. I remember wolfgang sealent and Angelwax desirable was the bees knees back in 2014, never hear of it now and ive got them sat on the shelf and is regular use still.

Some new things have popped up such as ONR which is the current buzzword haha. Tried it myself and don't like it. Much prefer seeing my car covered in white foam, even if it takes longer.

Go with what you know and change one thing at a time. That's how im managing.
Andy1972 is offline   Reply With Quote