Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Lifestyle > The Home and Garden Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Home and Garden Zone All about the Home - including alternative uses for cleaning products ... and all about the Garden

Old 13-07-2018, 12:24 AM   #21
Darlofan
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by staffordian View Post
Yes, every house I've had has suffered from temperature extremes in the loft. Unbearably hot in summer and freezing in the winter.

I guess Darlofan might have insulation under the tiles rather than on the loft floor, which is the only way I can think of to prevent the loft getting hot.
I'm not saying it was cold up there just seemed cooler than the upstairs. Saying that I'm used to hot lofts, parents house was 2 bedroom so my dad boarded out the loft and I used it as my bedroom. No opening windows, fans etc!! You can imagine how hot it got, I even survived the summer of 76 up there😂😊 They'd be locked up these days for keeping a kid in that heat. Saying that though, I didn't complain as it was that or share with younger brother!!
Darlofan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Darlofan For This Useful Post:
staffordian (13-07-2018)
Old 13-07-2018, 10:28 PM   #22
aka.eric
Washmitt Meister

One of the main questions should be..."What type of material is under the tiles/slates"
Modern houses use a breathable membrane..older houses use felt.With a felt covering..the soffit vents alone will not supply enough airflow to prevent condensation.
Adding layers of insulation may improve the U-value and offer a warmer house...but its not always that simple.The following are not my words but some the situation up well....
https://www.heritage-house.org/damp-...uses-damp.html
aka.eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2018, 10:36 AM   #23
Gixxer6
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

I've finally had some time to take a look at the loft in detail as well as buy some insulation.
One thing I noticed is that there is no insulation over the bay window in the master bedroom which might explain why the room is hot in summer and cold in winter. The rest of the loft is insulated with the loose fill pictured in my initial post, I'm not sure why the bay window was not insulated. Anyone have any ideas?
The bay loft is lower by about 6 inches than the rest of the loft, I'm thinking that when the loose fill insulation was installed that the bay loft was just simply missed.

The bay window looks very similar to the one pictured below:

I take it that the same principal for laying insulation applies: don't lay insulation over the eaves, or is there a different recommendation for the bay window loft?

Last edited by Gixxer6; 16-09-2018 at 10:38 AM.
Gixxer6 is offline   Reply With Quote