Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Tools -Machine polishers, Pressure Washers, Detailing Equipment & Microfiber
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tools -Machine polishers, Pressure Washers, Detailing Equipment & Microfiber Sponsored by Detailed Clean : www.DetailedClean.co.uk – | Bilt Hamber | Dodo Juice | Nanolex | Sonus | Wolfs Chemicals + More | Loyalty Scheme Discounts |

Old 29-07-2018, 03:33 PM   #21
Peter_222
Sponge Jockey

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz1 View Post
I've just read the reviews on the Halfords 1 and I can't stop chuckling to myself....The first reveiwer, he gave it a really bad review slagging it off saying the pads keep flying off and then goes on to say he started on a red pad which flew off the put the black pad on and that flew off and had to then use the yellow pad...now according to halfords red( heavy cut) yellow(med cut) and black (finishing pad)...this is why some people should not have access to power tools and he prob using dry pad no product too...some people.

Yeah I was laughing at the reviews... the people reviewing this have obviously only ever hand polished a car and probably have no concept of paint correction.

I’ve used a duren buffer which is basically the same and it’s literally a toy. It was bogging down with any downward pressure or on any curve. You’d be a week on a car using it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Peter_222 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter_222 For This Useful Post:
CleanYourCar (26-08-2018), gaz1 (29-07-2018)
Old 19-08-2018, 05:39 AM   #22
Demented
Sponge Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_222 View Post
Yeah I was laughing at the reviews... the people reviewing this have obviously only ever hand polished a car and probably have no concept of paint correction.

I’ve used a duren buffer which is basically the same and it’s literally a toy. It was bogging down with any downward pressure or on any curve. You’d be a week on a car using it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is this Halfords DA Polisher not worth considering then ?

From images online, it looks almost identical to the DA polisher from Argos but it comes with a 5" backing plate already fiited and 3 polishing pads; although the quality of the backing plate and pads maybe questionable, especially when compared to ShineMate and Lake Country products; it also has a 5m power lead, possibly with a rubberised plug.

Yet, I've just bought the Argos Challenge Xtreme DA Polisher, not used it as of yet; in the flesh, it looks far better quality and more robust than what I imagined and gleened from the images online. It has a 6' backing plate fitted and supplied with one 7" pad.

Once I buy a 5" backing plate and 3 polishing pads, that'll add another £40 to my initial outlay (£50) and the power lead is only 2m long with a hard plastic plug fitted ?

I bought from Argos and now considering the Halfords polisher, as it's easier to return to the store should a fault occur; otherwise, if bought online, there's return postage to consider.

Last edited by Demented; 19-08-2018 at 09:04 AM.
Demented is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2018, 07:16 AM   #23
Titanium Htail
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
As with most aspects of intial reviewers it is user error rather than the products itself. The key this with the das6 for that money is you get a guarantee of fuctional usage. Once you experience grows you can always sell it on going forward, some copies are not what they seem so even if you never progress beyoud this start up machine it will work. I initially bought a Porter Cable Poorboys badged machine @900w so that is also a great performer can be used with 3" pads, plus combined with a mini Rotary is attending to my current needs at a reasonable cost.

Although some buyers purchase a rotary initially while addressing that learning curve going forward.

The build quality plus collective experience of this Das6 level of performance will assist good results plus a wide range of accessory options.

John Tht.
Titanium Htail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2018, 04:48 PM   #24
BarryAllen
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demented View Post
Is this Halfords DA Polisher not worth considering then ?

From images online, it looks almost identical to the DA polisher from Argos but it comes with a 5" backing plate already fiited and 3 polishing pads; although the quality of the backing plate and pads maybe questionable, especially when compared to ShineMate and Lake Country products; it also has a 5m power lead, possibly with a rubberised plug.

Yet, I've just bought the Argos Challenge Xtreme DA Polisher, not used it as of yet; in the flesh, it looks far better quality and more robust than what I imagined and gleened from the images online. It has a 6' backing plate fitted and supplied with one 7" pad.

Once I buy a 5" backing plate and 3 polishing pads, that'll add another £40 to my initial outlay (£50) and the power lead is only 2m long with a hard plastic plug fitted ?

I bought from Argos and now considering the Halfords polisher, as it's easier to return to the store should a fault occur; otherwise, if bought online, there's return postage to consider.
Then you are massive overpaying for your kit. Pads a fiver for a selection from eBay...and same for backing plates. Throwaway money for an occasional use tool.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-12000RP...oAAOSwEFZZgvzi

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-150-mm-...gAAOSw-a9Ze7S2

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3Pc-3-4-5...LyEniOHXoes8oQ

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5Pcs-6-In...oAAOSwLLZbTVq8

Last edited by BarryAllen; 19-08-2018 at 05:01 PM.
BarryAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2018, 08:25 PM   #25
Demented
Sponge Jockey

Thanks for the links to the items on eBay.

Due to receiving new items of poor quality from eBay in the past, which normally cost more to return than buy; I'm sceptical, especially a backing plate, athough, I've considered the Chinese polishing pads; I even posted on here asking opinions.

Other than the Argos Polisher, I've not bought anything yet, but the £40 I mentioned, was for one ShineMate 5" backing plate (£9.95) and 3 polishing pads (£7.95 each) + postage (£3.95) all from cleanyourcar.co.uk
Demented is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2018, 09:52 PM   #26
AnthonyUK
Sponge Jockey

I ordered from ZFE stores which had been recommended by forensic detailing on YouTube.
Very happy with the backing plates and ‘hexlogic’ type pads.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/zfestoreu...p2047675.l2563
AnthonyUK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AnthonyUK For This Useful Post:
alfajim (26-08-2018)
Old 21-08-2018, 02:00 PM   #27
RCUK
Unwashed Member

Garage
Tempted to go for the Pro for my first machine, but not sure about all the pads and compounds etc i need to go with it.

The DAS-6 one for £139 comes with all the bits - is that a better option?
RCUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2018, 10:53 PM   #28
alfajim
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyUK View Post
I ordered from ZFE stores which had been recommended by forensic detailing on YouTube.
Very happy with the backing plates and ‘hexlogic’ type pads.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/zfestoreu...p2047675.l2563
What colour are the softest pads? I don't do correction, just spreading glazes about..ta.
alfajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 08:18 AM   #29
AnthonyUK
Sponge Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfajim View Post
What colour are the softest pads? I don't do correction, just spreading glazes about..ta.
I have orange, blue and black, black being the softest.
AnthonyUK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AnthonyUK For This Useful Post:
alfajim (27-08-2018)
Old 28-08-2018, 02:00 AM   #30
CleanYourCar
Approved DW Trader

Thanked 1,612 Times in 962 Posts
You could just go for a DAS-6 v2 and support a trader

Victoria Wax - Dodo - Meguiars - Menzerna + Many More!
CleanYourCar is offline   Reply With Quote