Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Tools -Machine polishers, Pressure Washers, Detailing Equipment & Microfiber
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tools -Machine polishers, Pressure Washers, Detailing Equipment & Microfiber Sponsored by Detailed Clean : www.DetailedClean.co.uk – | Bilt Hamber | Dodo Juice | Nanolex | Sonus | Wolfs Chemicals + More | Loyalty Scheme Discounts |

Old 01-09-2018, 12:26 AM   #1
Josh0109
Unwashed Member

Shinemate EP801 or Spin Doctor.

Hi, looking at buying a polisher and decide I want to go down the rotary route. Was unsure on which one out of the EP801 or spin doctor to go with. Wondered if anyone had either of the two or any other recommendations for similar sort of price.

Like the look of the Shinemate EP803 with all the smaller pads and extra bit, but I’m guessing it would take quite a while with it due to only been able to use smaller pads?

Many Thanks
Josh
Josh0109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:12 AM   #2
DavieB
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Josh what are you looking to do? Have you already got a machine polisher, looking for a change? Is it the odd car here and there? Have you used a rotary before?

I use a rotary and have done for years, I had a DA back in the day and switched because the DA didn't cut the mustard for me....but the new breed of DAs forced/long throw along with better pad technology and abrasives I have to say if I was starting out now I'd be going with one of these type of machines. I think with a lack of experience you'd get better results with a DA and it'd be safer.

I have know idea on your ability or what you want to do, so maybe a rotary is the right choice for you, and of those two I'd go with the shinemate. I hope that helps!
DavieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:16 AM   #3
macca666
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,879 Times in 1,134 Posts
Garage
I've got the spin doctor which I bought on here second hand a number of years ago and it's still going strong though granted I'm only doing mine and family cars I've no complaints with it.

I went from a Das pro to it and I've still got the DA though it's hardly used and I always go for the rotary.

Can't comment on the shinemate though I did look at it at the time only went for the spin doctor as it came up 2nd hand for a decent price.

I wouldn't go for the ep803 as it's more for smaller areas I'd go for the 801.

I'm sure either will be fine for you though as DavieB said if you're just starting out you might want to consider a DA though
macca666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 12:55 PM   #4
MBRuss

Yeah, from what I've read it's very difficult to get a hologram free finish with a rotary. Many people think they get one, but probably miss the hologramming by not wiping down thoroughly enough and properly inspecting afterwards.

In fact, Mike Philips challenged people to prove they could finish hologram free on black paint by doing a full IPA wipedowns afterwords and inspecting their work in the sun, so convinced was he that very few people could actually get a perfect finish with a rotary.

Anyone can get a perfect finish with a DA.

This is what holds me back from getting a rotary. Although I'd always follow up with a DA anyway. Apparently the latest long throw DA's with microfibre pads have a similar defect removal rate to a rotary, especially when you factor in not having to go back afterwards to tidy up with a DA as you may have to with a rotary.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
MBRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MBRuss For This Useful Post:
Citromark (01-09-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 01:37 PM   #5
Titanium Htail

Garage
Shinemate have other offerings I bought an EP803 for those smaller sections rather than an Ibrid.

Spin Doctor have a new machine theolder one very light which suitedmy specific needs. As said, my PB PC gets the job done, thus is about result rather than any speed saved.

If more production was needed I might go for the Flex 3410 or Rupes.

John Tht.
Titanium Htail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 02:05 PM   #6
DavieB
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBRuss View Post
Yeah, from what I've read it's very difficult to get a hologram free finish with a rotary. Many people think they get one, but probably miss the hologramming by not wiping down thoroughly enough and properly inspecting afterwards.

In fact, Mike Philips challenged people to prove they could finish hologram free on black paint by doing a full IPA wipedowns afterwords and inspecting their work in the sun, so convinced was he that very few people could actually get a perfect finish with a rotary.

Anyone can get a perfect finish with a DA.

This is what holds me back from getting a rotary. Although I'd always follow up with a DA anyway. Apparently the latest long throw DA's with microfibre pads have a similar defect removal rate to a rotary, especially when you factor in not having to go back afterwards to tidy up with a DA as you may have to with a rotary.

This!

It is possible.....but it's an extra step to achieve it. With the latest DA you can cut and then polish to get a holagram free finish. With a Rotary it will cut quicker, but after polishing you will then need the additional step of refining (some call it jeweling).

If you have a DA.... then the rotary cut followed by the DA polish/finish would be quicker IMHO.

I'm actually thinking of getting a Rupes Millie and using the rotary just for cutting purposes if there are severe defects that need correcting.

It really depends what you want to do....but it seems the forced rotation/geared DAs seem to be a best of both worlds.
DavieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 02:17 PM   #7
Titanium Htail

Garage
Are they two machines with specific jobswhi h other SM have you looked at, even guys who have better machines or all of them use each in a different situation. You could buy a good cheap rotary to start off with see if you like it.

John Tht.
Titanium Htail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 07:25 PM   #8
Josh0109
Unwashed Member

Hi thanks for the reply’s. I should have put abit more info in the original post, I don’t own a machine polisher atm.
I’m just starting up a valeting business and somewhere down the line will be looking into offering a detailing service. obviously after a lot of practise/courses before even considering letting it touch a customers car. I was thinking of starting with a rotary from the start, unless anyone could recommend a better route?

Thanks Josh
Josh0109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:10 PM   #9
ENEP
Washmitt Meister

Shinemate EP801 out of the two.
Mainly because it has lower starting RPM and the ergonomics of it.
ENEP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:22 PM   #10
MBRuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh0109 View Post
Hi thanks for the reply’s. I should have put abit more info in the original post, I don’t own a machine polisher atm.
I’m just starting up a valeting business and somewhere down the line will be looking into offering a detailing service. obviously after a lot of practise/courses before even considering letting it touch a customers car. I was thinking of starting with a rotary from the start, unless anyone could recommend a better route?

Thanks Josh
Well many people say that a Rupes LHR21 Mk2 with a microfibre pad can cut as quickly as a rotary. I don't know, because I've never used a rotary, but for numerous people to say that must mean that it's at least close to being able to cut as quickly. (I have an LHR21 MK2 and use Meguiar's microfibre pads and microfibre compound and like it just fine).

The benefit of this setup is that it's far more foolproof than the rotary, even after you've been trained. You'll see and hear of plenty of detailers using Rupes DA's to machine polish cars, even when they have tons of experience and can use a rotary as well.

With a rotary, all it takes is a little slip or moment of inattention to burn through the paint, whereas you'd have to be using a DA very poorly to cause any issues. I think this is why professional detailers use the Rupes DA's - if you're working on supercars daily, worth hundreds of thousands of pounds or more then even with years of experience it's nice to have the safety net of a DA polisher, rather than the risk of a rotary.

I know that if I was polishing a crazy expensive classic car with its original paint then I'd want to play it as safe as possible.

You can speed up the level of cut on a DA by using microfibre pads and your choice of the latest compounds. I've just bought CarPro Clear Cut to try out, but have only used it with a foam pad so far. The Meguiar's microfibre compound is very good too.

MBRuss is offline   Reply With Quote