Detailing World Forum banner

What has gone wrong? Help!

19K views 67 replies 30 participants last post by  EliteCarCare 
#1 ·
Collected my car from a detailer on Tuesday. Car had all the stages before paint correct, paint correction than Gtechniq serum + exo and applied to paint work.

Washed it today for the 1st time using the below products.

AF snow foam pre wash
2x gtech mits
2x grit buckets
2x AF towels

Now I have bad marring and holograms in the paint in direct sunlight. To be fair, the weather was crap when I picked the car up so I couldn't check for marring.

Pretty gutted and I'm confident that my cleaning methods are not the issue.

Obviously the detailer wants to see the car (don't think they are on here) but I'm a little nervous about taking it back. This is not bash the detailer thread, I just to know and understand the best port of call moving forwards.

Any ideas on what's gone wrong?

Car is a black Megane R26R.

See less See more
#12 ·
Exo is not as hard a surface as serum so it's possible that the marring may have been inflicted during the was procedure, the thing to remember is that coating's are scratch resistant not scratch proof, it's difficult for anyone to conclude what the issue maybe by looking at a picture, if the detailer takes pride in his work the last thing you should expect is to be palmed off.

#15 ·
Sorry to see that chum. I bet you're gutted. For what it's worth, we previously owned two black Meganes. I found the paint to be ridiculously soft, and extremely susceptible to wash marring. I ended up reverting back to good old super resin polish, given the degree of fillers it has. In saying that, there appears to be a little too much marring there for just one wash.

I hope you can get to the bottom of this.

Good luck,

Cooks

Sent from my D6603

#17 ·
Good luck with getting it sorted out Ant. I drive hire cars 2 or 3 times a week for work which have been washed with no care whatsoever and they look similar to your pictures in direct sun.

Form my experience Renault paint is one of the easiest to correct even for an amateur like me so I am sure it will be perfect in the end.

#18 ·
It looks to me as though they haven't refined the polishing. It is relatively easy to polish a car and have it look great immediately after because the fillers in the polish cover the swirls but a bit of panel wipe or a wash will take the fillers out and you will get to see the swirls. I wonder if they panel wiped the car before applying the coatings?

Regardless, it will need another polish with a finishing polish and pad.

#20 ·
Poor wash technique won't cause holograms, unless i'm extremely mistaken. And the amount of scratches and marring aren't consistent with 1 wash, rather numerous poor washes. What level of paint correction or treatment was agreed on? Was the detailer just using a glaze as a polishing aid? Was it agreed to do a single or multiple stage correction? First case of action is to bring it to him to inspect it. Without knowing what treatment was agreed it's hard to pass too much comment. Hopefully you get sorted mate.

#22 ·
Looks to me like both the paintwork hasn't been corrected properly!! I.e high filler polish or a glaze product then the Serum has been applied with either a poor technique/applicators or not cured fully before the car being wiped down etc. I have seen something similar with opti coat being applied with high pile microfibres.

Or all of the above together. Either way... Nothing you have done could cause this.

#27 ·
It's going back on Monday so will see what happens. As I said at the start, this is not me bashing the guy who did the work, I need to understand why it's happened so it's get sorted.

Brazo off here has pamint two previous blacks cars of mine, never had a issue.

#28 · (Edited by Moderator)
Ok, don't care who the detailer is, so do this yourself without letting people myther you. If he applied CS black, as in serum then exo, he is accredited by gtechniq. Go to their website and make sure you can find him within their accredited scheme. If you cant, at best he applied CSL and exo as he cant get serum
What i se there is not machine marks but as you originally say, heavy marring. From my experience that paint is crazy soft and a pain to finish down, it also responds poorly to some coatings. It could well be the marring was induced during the coating stage. YES, it should have been picked up but **** does happen occasionally and the detailer maybe very embarrassed.
If it IS marring then yes it will need machining but hopefully it will only be shallow so your car is at no detriment from the extra steps, its just a pain to be away from your car some more time
Lastly, and it is always a possibility, he isn't very good. Give him the chance to fix it and please you, but if you aren't, then i would say politely speak to him, promise you wont go on social media to "destroy" him if he returns your money so you can pay someone else. No one wants to give money back, but no one will after their "company" is trashed on line, so figure out your end game before you act.
It may be a very simple fix, and a very apologetic detailer, it may not

#35 ·
Forgive me for being blunt, I am fairly new to detailing but have learned that unless you use a reliable light source to validate your polishing/work you are wasting time. I have just built a cheap 'SunGun' from this forum which is excellent. I have seen many other professional detailers using a variety of lamps to check their work. Should this unknown professional not have used this simple device before 'sealing' his work.
Again forgive my brevity.

Sent from my Lenovo TB2-X30F using Tapatalk

#37 ·
Ok just got back from the detailer. He used his rotary and a touch of 3M refiner on the pad to work part of the rear 1/4 panel which removed all marring after a few minutes.

He reckons the there is a issue with the evo on top of the serum. He said he used the Exo V3 for the 1st time on this car, now he will strip and redo the whole car from fresh again and apply serum and exo v2.

The car was inside a heated show room for two days once coats applied so he was a bit baffled.

So car will dropped off again one week today for 8 days.

Lets see what happens.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.