Detailing World Forum banner

WTF - How Can This Be Moved ?

9K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  wayne451 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Im looking for some good help and advice regarding my car. The car is question is a Liquid Yellow Clio 197 F1 R27 Team Edition.

For those people who know about the car they will know that these cars came with standard Renault Decals on the Roof, Wings and both bumpers.

Now my issue is I took it to a local Snow Foam centre just to get the bird **** blasted off but the guy sprayed the roof with some sort of chemical.
After the car drying and going back to the to the snow foam wash to ask what the chemical was I found out it was neat TFR.

Now as you can see in the pictures its now fully marked the roof and it looks so so bad, I have had a micro finer cloth which was soaked in boiling hot water and then wiped the roof but it has made no difference.
I then tried to polish a square of the roof to see if that would help but nothing :(

Here is a couple of pictures of the car and then a few of the roof.

See less See more
#2 ·
I would try a small area with an apc and agitate with a brush, dry off and if that doesn't remove the stain then looks like it's a replacement job! I never understand why they use tfr neat, it cant be cost effective for starters. Failing that go complain and ask for there public liability insurance details, as using the chemical incorrectly has caused the damage. I'm sure any tfr states to be diluted, u less it is ready mixed.

Neat TFR will also discolour chrome trim giving it a misty appearance.

#3 ·
Agree, as above.

Could be damaged beyond rectification.
Try a little APC on a corner and see what happens.

Looks like it has dried out the vinyl.
Maybe a plastic/vinyl/rubber treatment would sort it out.

Could apply some Gtechniq C4 or something similar

edit: shame as its a cracking car (big Renaultsport fan here) :thumb:

#4 · (Edited)
The Roof sticker has a price tag from Renault of £696 and its a 2 part sticker.
I dont want to be taking the old one off and replacing it, Im hoping there is a good product that can sort it out for me.

What APC would you guys suggest ?

Would G101 from Autosmart do the job ?

I have been told to give it a polish with a DAS Pro or something along they lines but I'm unsure I want to do that.

#12 ·
Right I have spoken to a couple of people on various forums and Facebook pages and they say it can be fixed with a good soft machine polishing and some fine polish and some IPA.

Im getting a Das pro 6 this weekend and then I will try a small patch.

#16 · (Edited)
I fully understand what people are saying so I will be very careful.

I have just nipped outside and took some more pictures and you can see how thick the sticker actually its.

I have also sent a message to another forum user who had a blue 197 and had a similar issue with his.

As for chasing the company to repair / replace the sticker there is no point as its a couple of Romanian cowboys in a car park with a couple of jet washers.
All I wanted was for them to jet wash the car with no soap and before I knew it they had sprayed TFR all over it.

#22 ·
I gave totally dynamic a call yesterday, they are the guys who wrapped my M2's roof and spoke to them regarding your situation and they advised against machine polishing it, they suggested using black T-CUT and buff off afterwards, that could well cover those stains, for the sake of a few quid i'd try that first.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Hood Car

#19 ·
It was sprayed with a chemical and from what I'm lead to believe its TFR and looks like water spots.

I have not tried anything as I'm getting so many people tell me so many things so I do have a lot of choices and avenues to go down.

It would be very very kind of you to send some product for me to try.

#23 ·
I would add additional caution to using polish on matt wrapped anything - the 'sticker' or wrapped areas tend to be porous, as such the polishing oils sink into them leaving smeary white marks that can't be removed even with Eraser or IPA.

There is a very real chance you will make it far worse than it is now as hard as it is!

OP - where are you based?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.