Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Technical > Machine Polishing
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Machine Polishing Need help with Machine polishing

Old 10-09-2017, 06:25 PM   #1
MarcFrs350
Unwashed Member

Garage
Expert Suggestions Please

I have had my F-type for a few weeks, and knew form the offset it was going to require some work on the paint to get it swirl free. Previous owner obviously wasn't that particular with it.

With my previous cars I have taken them to a professional detailer and been very happy with his work, but on this one I would like to have a go myself, appreciate it probably won't be as good as his work, but I would like to have all the equipment myself as I do enjoy detailing my cars.

I have had an orbital polisher for about 10 years, and have had a go with a Sonus SFX-1 3" pad with some poor boys SSR2 polish, but had no luck with the marks on the bonnet.

So after a lot of waffling I am hoping you guys could suggest a good polish pad combination. I have been looking at the Dodo rotary polisher with the 3m polishes and pads.The colour matches seems idiot proof. The Menzerna doesn't seem as easy with the polish/pad combinations.

If all goes well, i'd probably look at a ceramic coating option as well. On my previous car I had Cquartz applied. Any better suggestions?

I'll try and add some pictures, but struggling since photo bucket started ripping people off.
MarcFrs350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 07:16 PM   #2
chongo
"Professor"

Thanked 4,129 Times in 2,458 Posts
Garage
Considering you want to detail your own car I would suggest not to get a Rotary and go for a DA which is a lot safer than a Rotary

Try and up load some pictures of the condition of your paint then we can advise you on what's best to start off with

One I would say is to get a car panel from a scrappy and practice your technique first
chongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 08:40 PM   #3
MarcFrs350
Unwashed Member

Garage
Its the Porter cable random orbital polisher that I already have. Is it worth trying a new pad/polish combo before trying a new machine?
MarcFrs350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:37 PM   #4
chongo
"Professor"

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcFrs350 View Post
Its the Porter cable random orbital polisher that I already have. Is it worth trying a new pad/polish combo before trying a new machine?
New machine bud
Old 12-09-2017, 09:21 AM   #5
Mark@PD
DW Supporter

A picture of the defects would help, what colour is your car? Also if you are going to apply a ceramic coating your poishing has to be the best as the coating is carried in a solvent to help you spread it on the paint this will strip off any fillers and polishing oil that has been left behind from your work. You will then be left with what is underneath, and due to the fact that coatings are hard both to work with and the actual hardness of the product you could have a nightmare trying to remove it if you make a mistake. You need a clean dry are to work in with plenty of good light, you also need to be good at polishing and be able to apply the coating properly as it is not like applying a wax or sealant.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
Old 14-09-2017, 03:33 AM   #6
H-M3
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by chongo View Post
New machine bud
what machine would you say is decent compared to a PC Chongo?

Cheers
H-M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 09:00 AM   #7
Mark@PD
DW Supporter

The Rupes 15 is hard to beat the larger throw gives it quite a bit more cutting power.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
Old 14-09-2017, 02:42 PM   #8
chongo
"Professor"

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by H-M3 View Post
what machine would you say is decent compared to a PC Chongo?

Cheers
That's a good question bud depends on your budget and your experience

You can certainly step up to the Rupes mark 11 15-21mm which are great machines but are more pricey
Or you can go for the copy ones like the Das 6 pro plus 15mm throw, vertool 21mm which is a good machine, but then you could step up another level to the flex 3401 VRG which is a force rotating polisher (beast) best of both worlds