Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 18-09-2017, 05:15 PM   #31
MadOnVaux!
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,096 Times in 1,026 Posts
Fantastic work so far

I feel your pain with the wiring....I looked at a Calibra years ago and it previously had a 'custom' ICE install and the owner had taken it all out to sell the car......wires everywhere but nothing worked....needless to say I left it!

Last edited by MadOnVaux!; 19-09-2017 at 05:54 PM.
MadOnVaux! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 05:31 PM   #32
sbrocks
PC Perfectionist

Stunning job so far and I eagerly await further updates......as a resident of the aforementioned N Ireland it jars somewhat that you werent told the full story by the seller as it tars a lot of folk with a negative image

I have sold a couple of cars into England and am actively still friends with the new keepers who keep me updated on their respective progress !

Best of luck, really enjoy seeing a car being properly attended to !!!
sbrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 08:18 PM   #33
Magic
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-R- View Post
Love these E30 318is'
My old man had one years ago, in white, got when it was only 6 months old, the previous owner had spec'd it to the hilt, with a full black leather interior and 15" wheel upgrade etc etc, wish I could have afforded the insurance when he traded it in for an E36 version

John
They seem to be a popular modern classic. I nearly bought a white lower spec' E30, it looked great in white and it was non sunroof - wasn't supposed to be!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saj1985 View Post
good work
Cheers buddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-M3 View Post
Wow! great work there buddy. I had few of these motors in he past, easy to work with as there are a lot of guides online. But it seems you are quite experienced anyhow so keep it up. I was a member of E30zone where you can get lots of info and tips.
Thanks man! Yeah, there's masses of guides online, I've been a regular to E30 zone since I've been tinkering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c16rkc View Post
Excellent thread for an excellent car. You may have been duped a little but the car still looks pretty solid all things considered.

It will be worth it in the end and you seem to be doing a fantastic job - Best of luck to you!
Thanks man! I'm partly to blame, I should of had a look before buying. It's 'fairly' solid, you'll see why I say fairly in an future post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadOnVaux! View Post
Fantastic work so far

I feel your pain with the wiring....I looked at a Calibra years and it previously had a 'custom' ICE install and the owner had taken it all out to sell the car......wires everywhere but nothing worked....needless to say I left it!
Thanks man! The wiring turned into a massive job, I guess 30 years of 'enthusiastic' owners hasn't been good for the car. I actually done some more work on the wiring this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrocks View Post
Stunning job so far and I eagerly await further updates......as a resident of the aforementioned N Ireland it jars somewhat that you werent told the full story by the seller as it tars a lot of folk with a negative image

I have sold a couple of cars into England and am actively still friends with the new keepers who keep me updated on their respective progress !

Best of luck, really enjoy seeing a car being properly attended to !!!
Thanks man!

I didn't really cover this much in the beginning, but with all the problems I ended up having with the car/seller, the delivery guy (from NI) went above and beyond. Due to some complications with payment, I actually sent the delivery guy the money for the car and he drew the money out of his bank and paid. He updated every step of the way and sorted out some details with the seller whilst I was working. I couldn't recommend him enough! I must dig out his name and give him some exposure.

Based on my experience with the delivery guy, I would 100% buy a car overseas again.
Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Magic For This Useful Post:
Cookies (18-09-2017), sbrocks (19-09-2017)
Old 18-09-2017, 08:47 PM   #34
Magic
Washmitt Meister

Garage
The next problem I tackled was the leaky oil sump and power steering pump. After having a quick look at the sump I realised that firstly, it'd had obviously been leaking for a while and also that both the fan and power steering belts needed replacing sooner rather than later.

I ordered the belts online and set about replacing them.

I started out by degreasing the front and sump of the engine as best I could. At some point I'm going to have to do this properly to satisfy my OCD.Anyway, I got the belts on, tensioned them up and the fan was a lot quieter surprisingly.

As you can see below, the old belts had a few issues.

Satisfied with belts, I decided to replace the sump gasket and generally clean it up before I service the car.

Photo below shows engine sporting a slightly cleaner look.

Sump off and it was pretty clear it's never been off before. For those concerned about the milky oil, the car hadn't been running for long.

After some degreaser and carb' cleaner, I got it looking a bit more presentable.

I then bolted it back on to the engine with a new sump gasket. Looks much fresher!

With the sump finished, I had a quick look at the power steering pump. I found the issue pretty quickly, someone hadn't replaced one of the crush washers on the banjo fittings. So I did what any car guy does, logged on to eBay and bought some new ones.

The old ones had definitely seen better days.

I actually ended up ordering copper washers instead of aluminium - mainly because they were a lot cheaper.

Nice arty shot with the banjos refitted.

I chucked some fresh fluid in the PAS reservoir, bled the system through and thankfully no leaks.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Magic For This Useful Post:
Cookies (18-09-2017), dubb (28-09-2017), JB052 (08-10-2017), perks (09-05-2018), uberbmw (18-09-2017)
Old 19-09-2017, 02:26 PM   #35
enc

Garage
Seen 3 of these since reading this thread. I guess they've been around just not noticed and it took your thread to nudge my subconsiousnes.
My brother hD one back in the day... a lowly 318 ? Model.
Solid car but lacked powers steering it was like steering with flat tyres.

I still like the proportions .. they're just "right"

I note at the beginning of this thread you say you've had the car a couple of months... is it now your current daily driver ?

Last edited by enc; 19-09-2017 at 02:29 PM.
enc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 02:37 PM   #36
Forsh

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by enc View Post
is it now your current daily driver ?
SPOILER ALERT!!!

Don't tell us Magic!

Tune in for the next thrilling instalment!

Forsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 09:04 PM   #37
Magic
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by enc View Post
Seen 3 of these since reading this thread. I guess they've been around just not noticed and it took your thread to nudge my subconsiousnes.
My brother hD one back in the day... a lowly 318 ? Model.
Solid car but lacked powers steering it was like steering with flat tyres.

I still like the proportions .. they're just "right"

I note at the beginning of this thread you say you've had the car a couple of months... is it now your current daily driver ?
The steering racks are pretty loathed on these. Non PAS builds character if nothing else!

Yeah, I think it's best looking 3 series shape.

Wait and see

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsh View Post
SPOILER ALERT!!!

Don't tell us Magic!

Tune in for the next thrilling instalment!

Haha, that's the spirit!
Old 21-09-2017, 09:35 PM   #38
Magic
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Following on from the oil leaks, I gave the car a service. The first part of that was to change the spark plugs, they'd obviously seen better days but they weren't too bad. That suggests the car might of been looked after, at least engine wise.

Then I changed the petrol filter, again not as bad as I imagined. Whilst I was there I degreased the bracket and put some fresh clips on the fuel lines.

Note the polished BMW jubilee clips!

After that, I swapped the air filter, degreased the air box inside out, before installing the new filter.

I forgot to take photos of the finished product. Anyway, once I finished that, I changed the oil filter and topped up the engine with fresh oil.

The engine sounded a lot nicer when I started it back up. The oil was pretty low before hand, mainly because most of was sitting on the wrong side of the sump.

Finally I started to tackle the front headlights. I removed the front grill and pulled out the headlight units, as per standard with this car they were completely broken and needed a rebuild.

Demotivated I decided to pull out the automatic adjusting hosing for the headlights, it didn't work and frankly there's enough to do without fixing that. On the plus side, it now looks a lot cleaner in the engine bay without the hoses running around it.

Last edited by Magic; 21-09-2017 at 09:45 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Magic For This Useful Post:
perks (09-05-2018)
Old 21-09-2017, 09:56 PM   #39
Forsh

Garage
Splendid work!

MORE! MORE!

Come on ya big tease show us some more!

(Threads like this are almost keeping me sane whilst waiting for episode 16 of Project Binky!)
Forsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 10:22 PM   #40
Slammedorion

If you are using it as a daily through winter I'd consider Hids
Fitted some tona mate's E30 325i convertible, made a massive difference
Keep the updates coming
Slammedorion is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
318is, bmw, e30