Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Lifestyle > The Tech & Gadget Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Tech & Gadget Zone Gadgety, Techy or even a Techy Gadget! Stick a post in here! Sponsored by SlimsDetailing - inspired by anybody who has a car they love and care for

Old 16-07-2018, 10:22 PM   #21
phil67
Washmitt Meister

Well I have decided to try the Sky fibre and got a reasonable deal as I've had the tv for years and got it on an 18 month contract, but the con if even though you are on an 18 month contract the price could still rise

Think I may invest in either Netflix or Amazon as I have gone down to the lowest package Sky does just to get a bit more choice
phil67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 11:38 PM   #22
Christian6984
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 1,363 Times in 1,277 Posts
Garage
We recently moved to BT fibre, Was with EE for years (infact it was Orange before that and Freeserve back many many years ago). EE was expensive and slow and unreliable. Constant arguments over problems with the connection. Do live in a nice area but this means from what i know we are the furthest street from the exchange. The cables are overhead and suffer problems with the weather at times as well as many more houses being added to the line as more have been built in my lifetime down this road. We have seen a significant improvement not only in speed but quality, dont think if seen it disconnect at all yet, We are classed as 'Fibre to Cabinet' and the best could expect with EE was about 2meg, its now nearer to 30meg which am more than happy with, expecially considering neighbour is also BT but not fibre by sounds and get 5meg, we were told that would be the best we could hope for without fibre. I really didnt expect such and increase to be possible and know friends that have internet twice as fast but when your used to it being so painfully slow i do think would i really notice such a improvement from where we where before.

Christian6984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 11:46 PM   #23
Darlofan
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil67 View Post
Well I have decided to try the Sky fibre and got a reasonable deal as I've had the tv for years and got it on an 18 month contract, but the con if even though you are on an 18 month contract the price could still rise

Think I may invest in either Netflix or Amazon as I have gone down to the lowest package Sky does just to get a bit more choice
Been with sky for years and yeah it can and will go up mid contract but it's only when line rental goes up so usually less than a couple of quid per month and you do have the option to cancel if not happy with price increase. They only hike it up at the end of your contract which is why I suggest haggling/giving 30days notice a month before it's due to finish.
Darlofan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Darlofan For This Useful Post:
phil67 (17-07-2018)
Old 17-07-2018, 08:34 AM   #24
Derek Mc

Garage
Been with Plusnet for about four years but the signal from our router started to get patchy in the house, and drop connection to laptop and other equipment intermittently, so recently took a deal with BT. They were a nightmare to deal with as they mixed up and messed up our order, but once sorted the wifi and having the hotspot service out and about is just amazing.
By far the most reliable signal and strength, I have had I have to admit.
Derek Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek Mc For This Useful Post:
phil67 (17-07-2018)
Old 17-07-2018, 09:36 AM   #25
Deathstar
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Plusnet, generally bombproof.

Faults I get are with the Openreach infrastructure, and not ISP end.

I've moved to a two box solution, modem and separate router. Since then my line has been exemplary.

Remember, most faults are outwith your ISP's control (BT Excluded). So it's how they handle them that's important.
You can generally replace the ISP supplied hardware too, as it's functional rather than excellent (Vodafone is a bit more difficult).

If you have an Asus DSL-AC68U, bin it or go two a two box solution as it's not approved for the network and can introduce problems (been there). That is the reason to why I am now 2 box.

Since going to a supported modem, I've gained around 18Mb is sync and throughput.
Deathstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2018, 05:00 PM   #26
mar00
Sponge Jockey

generally avoid BT, TalkTalk EE, Plusnet were very good but going down hill quickly no BT are involved, If you're on a locked exchange the ISP speed wise doesn't matter that much will all be similar, what what will affect the speed is traffic shaping, most ISP's won't admit they do it but they all do in some form, SKY are probably the better ones and customer service isn't too bad, not easy to use a third party router though, but you may find you don't get the fastest and cheaper packages on locked exchanges,
mar00 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mar00 For This Useful Post:
phil67 (17-07-2018)
Old 19-07-2018, 03:13 PM   #27
daydotz
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Been with plus net since 2013
daydotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2018, 08:27 AM   #28
Stoner
PC Perfectionist

I have used the following over the last five years:

Virgin Fibre - great speed, minimal latency and reliable. I only switched away because the they don't supply to the area I moved too.

Vodafone - a joke of a provider. And without equal the most difficult company to deal with at any level. The service dropped every week for at least a few hours and speed was very erratic. I now avoid them at all costs!

Sky - now with Sky Fibre. Not the fastest but consistent and mid-range latency. The WiFi is especially good because the Sky Q box acts as a repeater. Although it's been reliable, if Virgin started to supply to my area, I would swap immediately.
Stoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2018, 04:49 PM   #29
Dannbodge

Garage
I've been with Virgin for about 5 years now.

Currently paying ~£40pm for 200mbps. I've never had an issue with anything. The customer service has always been good and I've never had below the advertised speed, in fact it's normally over by 5/10mbps.

The one issue I had was intermittent internet drops a few years ago, so they replaced the cable from the box to the house within a week and I've not had an issue since.

When I joined Virgin they were by far the best value for money. I got a decent deal through broadband choices.
Dannbodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2018, 05:35 PM   #30
J306TD

Garage
Send a message via MSN to J306TD
Been with sky for 7 years now. Only 1 major issue and that was down to an electrical fire at the exchange

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
J306TD is offline   Reply With Quote