Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Lifestyle > The Sports and Fitness Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Sports and Fitness Zone For everything from Football to Rugby to Tennis and everything in between!

Old 12-07-2018, 05:44 PM   #31
DJ X-Ray
Distinguished Detailer

Location: Straight outta London...in an Audi. Maxin' with fellow OG's, ballers and macks;)
Thanked 3,516 Times in 2,400 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerr View Post
Reading all the posts elsewhere I am genuinely surprised at the level of positivity. It's not often to see that from England fans.

A lot of people are suggesting this team is something special. I'm sorry, but they clearly watched something different to me. It was a solid team at best. They haven't done anything close to what people are suggesting.

I do personally think that players need to leave England and learn new things. All the players playing in the same league doesn't help.

England and even us up here is Scotland have had a list of good young players who come through, but hit the barrier and never seem to progress any further. Why is there the confidence that this team will do any better?

Some of the guys are quite young, but they are all experienced players with lots of games and caps under their belt. According to his Wiki page Alli already has 29 caps.

Alli didn't have a good World Cup, but I don't think he's been as good this season than last. Rashford needs to get out of Man Utd as his progress will be hindered there under Mourihno.

Reading the comments were build the team around Trippier, Maguire, Walker, Kane, Stones and Lingard.

There is a good few players and Kane is a quality player. However I can't say that I've been that impressed with Stones or Lingard at any time. Both have flashes of good play, but not consistently enough and I don't see them being top quality players.

Trippier and Walker are older than I thought. Trippier will be 28 soon and Walker is already 28. The entire team isn't as young as I thought. You don't keep hearing the young France team when they've got a 19 year old as their main player.

Getting to the semi is a decent result. It's still not amazing when you consider how big a footballing nation England is with tons of money, and the teams England beat.

Looking at the squad I don't see them pushing on to a higher level. Luck of the draw and the top team's sloppiness has given people artificial hope
I agree with you, Kerr boy - way too much Tottenham in that team ,anyway. It was only ever going one way.
DJ X-Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 08:19 PM   #32
kh904
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,079 Times in 751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbray67 View Post
Not taking a creative midfielder to a WC was another one of Sadgateís biggest mistakes.

Wilshire and Lallana wouldíve been better served in that squad than Dier.
To be fair, Lallana needed plenty more game time to get fit and it would have been a mistake to take him to the world cup.
Wilshire, i'm not too sure - possibly worth a shot
kh904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 08:22 PM   #33
kh904

Thanked 1,079 Times in 751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ X-Ray View Post
Bang on - said that before a ball was even kicked - Iíd add , Shelvey to that list^. So obvious we had no midfield creativity.
Shelvey is a good shout!
He had a very good season from the Newcastle games I saw
kh904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:00 PM   #34
nbray67

Thanked 2,218 Times in 1,640 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kh904 View Post
To be fair, Lallana needed plenty more game time to get fit and it would have been a mistake to take him to the world cup.
Wilshire, i'm not too sure - possibly worth a shot
An unfit Lallana is a far better option than a fit Dier.
nbray67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2018, 02:30 PM   #35
Kerr
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 6,443 Times in 4,128 Posts
Here's a stat to highlight the lack of creativity. Out of all the teams at the world cup only Iran averaged less efforts on goal from open play.

England averaged less than 0.9 shots on target per game.

Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2018, 08:31 PM   #36
bigmac3161

It's coming home

2 ex spurs players where the difference in the 2 teams Walkers ability to fall a sleep the first goal and Modric showing why heís the beat midfielder around. Just keeps everything moving does the simple things simply that kinda goes unnoticed donít do anything flash just keeps everyone around him on their toes. Oh well when all elseís has failed just blame it on there being to many spurs players in the team ie Adrian Durham tool. The best team won but letís face it France are gonna be champs come Sunday nite Croatia gotta be knackered

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by bigmac3161; 13-07-2018 at 08:34 PM.
bigmac3161 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bigmac3161 For This Useful Post:
kh904 (13-07-2018)
Old 14-07-2018, 10:24 PM   #37
jenks

So, we only finished up coming 4th at the world cup. Let's face it most England fans would have taken that before the tournament kicked off. Let's not forget this is a team in progress and we have multiple winners of youth competitions at euro and world level coming through.
jenks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2018, 11:09 PM   #38
transtek

Having not been up-to-date with football in the UK for the last couple of decades due to living abroad and being used to the repeated disappointment from the England squad, I must say I was pleasantly surprised by this team, especially during the first half of most of their games, with good one-touch football running rings around other, more experienced teams, although they never seemed able to build on their advantage and mostly faded away in the second half, letting the opposition gain the upper hand, well except for the last game against Belgium, where they just looked worn-out and very mediocre. However, as it is a young team and a new manager, I reckon they have done very well and will be a force to be reckoned with the next time around: we might even make 3rd place!
transtek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to transtek For This Useful Post:
jenks (14-07-2018)
Old 17-07-2018, 06:23 PM   #39
PugIain
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 2,722 Times in 2,119 Posts
Garage
We were ok. Nothing more. Too much tippy tapping about for my liking. A more direct style should have been employed imo especially when time is running short.
All well and good being patient and trying to work an opening, but when that didn't work there didn't seem to be a plan B. Most of the time, the patient approach yielded sod all anyway!

Well, apart from Panama. Where we should have scored hatfull no matter how we played. Also a mistake/over confidence lead to them scoring.

The less said of that lark of playing it short to a fullback back near our own area, then playing it backwards and forwards the better, half the time ending back at the keeper putting him under pressure. That's just inviting trouble!
It wasn't just us doing it, the quicker that goes away the better. I just hope the Grimsby Town team don't think it's a good idea..

As for a young team? Same average age as the French, and they won it.
There is just obviously less quality in our squad.

Last edited by PugIain; 17-07-2018 at 06:26 PM.
PugIain is offline   Reply With Quote