Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2017, 01:35 PM   #21
Starbuck88
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
Starbuck88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Cornwall
Posts: 2,618
Thanks: 4,087
Thanked 1,939 Times in 1,344 Posts
Garage
I'd be looking at a silver calcium battery.
Starbuck88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:39 PM   #22
matt1234
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,227
Thanks: 421
Thanked 813 Times in 488 Posts
Do a battery test. But it will most probably be the fuel filter causing the problem. Had a lot have poor starting issues and it's normally the fuel filter or a injector causing the problem.
Yours will be the metal canister fuel filter which is next to the drivers side rear wheel.
matt1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:56 PM   #23
aka.eric
Washmitt Meister
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 212
Thanks: 0
Thanked 90 Times in 66 Posts
Sounds like there are core plugs in different locations that can fail...some folk reckon its linked to the crankcase ventilation system.Pre 2004 cars....Volvo updated the plugs
http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthre...-Oil-seal-FAIL

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...t=93954&page=2

Last edited by aka.eric; 04-05-2017 at 09:30 PM.
aka.eric is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aka.eric For This Useful Post:
GrantB5 (05-05-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 10:31 PM   #24
Cuffy
Washmitt Meister
 
Cuffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 188
Thanks: 36
Thanked 65 Times in 54 Posts
Those seats are beautiful. Good purchase look forward to reading more.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Cuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 01:56 PM   #25
GrantB5
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: London
Posts: 967
Thanks: 887
Thanked 375 Times in 321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by percymon View Post
Probably looking at 95Ah / 100Ah dependent upon brand - Bosch Silver S4 has 4yr warranty, Halfords Calcium ones used to be 5years - either way its not a cheap battery. Your choice might be influenced by how long you want to keep the car and the cost of a battery with that length warranty.
I can source 95ah/100ah batteries at work. Look at around £140 (being cost price for me) for the 100ah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibiza55 View Post
Looking better already, that interior looks so good, I just don't get why the German interiors get so much praise, people should look at Volvo interiors more.
I've pretty much always drove German cars but I am feeling fond of the Swede and it's interior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp00ks View Post
Nice reliable cars these, I had an almost identical one to yours albeit in manual. Mine was a second car I just used for work. Mine had 150000 miles on the clock and I paid £900 for it, I took the mileage to 169000 miles in 11 months before its core plug failed and gave me a MAJOR oil leak. I just scrapped it which I did feel abit bad about but I had a few other issues (play in steering rack for the whole 19000 miles, alarm siren battery was toast, would go into limp mode sometimes when booted) but it had served its purpose.

Good luck with yours!
Mines had steering rack work done already carried out at volvo.

Still need to get the car on the ramp and look for some oil leak signs, the work will be carried out either way.

I also get the alarm battery service message or whatever it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1234 View Post
Do a battery test. But it will most probably be the fuel filter causing the problem. Had a lot have poor starting issues and it's normally the fuel filter or a injector causing the problem.
Yours will be the metal canister fuel filter which is next to the drivers side rear wheel.
Injectors have all been replaced for Bosch ones a while ago, so I would hope its not that. Fuel filter will be changed before the battery, just trying to get some prices in my head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuffy View Post
Those seats are beautiful. Good purchase look forward to reading more.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Thanks.
GrantB5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 02:30 PM   #26
aka.eric
Washmitt Meister
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 212
Thanks: 0
Thanked 90 Times in 66 Posts
Bosch S4 100Ah battery...Eurocarparts £138.70.Similar to your trade discount.
Fuel filter...Mann..£16.02 or £14.63..depending on type,screw on/cartridge

Yuasa Black 95Ah battery..lifetime guarantee..£132 Halfords trade
Yuasa Black Lifetime Guarantee Battery 019 Extra Info
Starting Power (CCA): 900 Amps
AH Value: 95Ah
Bench Charge: 6 Amps
Average Weight: 23.8kg
Dimensions (LxDxH): 353x175x190mm
Guarantee: Lifetime to the vehicle fitted

Last edited by aka.eric; 05-05-2017 at 02:47 PM.
aka.eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 10:51 AM   #27
GrantB5
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: London
Posts: 967
Thanks: 887
Thanked 375 Times in 321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aka.eric View Post
Bosch S4 100Ah battery...Eurocarparts £138.70.Similar to your trade discount.
Fuel filter...Mann..£16.02 or £14.63..depending on type,screw on/cartridge

Yuasa Black 95Ah battery..lifetime guarantee..£132 Halfords trade
Yuasa Black Lifetime Guarantee Battery 019 Extra Info
Starting Power (CCA): 900 Amps
AH Value: 95Ah
Bench Charge: 6 Amps
Average Weight: 23.8kg
Dimensions (LxDxH): 353x175x190mm
Guarantee: Lifetime to the vehicle fitted
Ah I have a friend who can arrange discount at Euros too. I read to only use Volvo fuel filters but if that's the case I will just go to Euros.
GrantB5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 12:51 PM   #28
aka.eric
Washmitt Meister
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 212
Thanks: 0
Thanked 90 Times in 66 Posts
If there isnt a considerable difference in price,I would agree and go with OE parts.But...Volvo or most other manufacturers dont make their own filters,bought in from whoever.Companies like Mann,Bosch,Mahle etc dont make rubbish,the only one I would avoid is Crosland.Crosland as a company have not existed for years..the name only was bought buy ECP,who actually makes them for ECP?...thats the concern.
http://www.catmag.co.uk/sogefi-dista...nd-sold-to-ecp
Who makes the filters sold by Nissan?
aka.eric is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aka.eric For This Useful Post:
enc (06-05-2017)
Old 06-05-2017, 02:03 PM   #29
enc
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
enc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,493
Thanks: 567
Thanked 521 Times in 435 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aka.eric View Post
.Crosland as a company have not existed for years..the name only was bought buy ECP,who actually makes them for ECP?...thats the concern.
http://www.catmag.co.uk/sogefi-dista...nd-sold-to-ecp
Wan?
Wasn't aware of that. Thanks fir the heads up
enc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 10:04 PM   #30
GrantB5
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: London
Posts: 967
Thanks: 887
Thanked 375 Times in 321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aka.eric View Post
If there isnt a considerable difference in price,I would agree and go with OE parts.But...Volvo or most other manufacturers dont make their own filters,bought in from whoever.Companies like Mann,Bosch,Mahle etc dont make rubbish,the only one I would avoid is Crosland.Crosland as a company have not existed for years..the name only was bought buy ECP,who actually makes them for ECP?...thats the concern.
http://www.catmag.co.uk/sogefi-dista...nd-sold-to-ecp
Who makes the filters sold by Nissan?
Quite a lot of the filters for Nissan / Renault are Mann.
GrantB5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
DTO Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
DTO Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors