Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Tools -Machine polishers, Pressure Washers, Detailing Equipment & Microfiber
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tools -Machine polishers, Pressure Washers, Detailing Equipment & Microfiber Sponsored by Detailed Clean : www.DetailedClean.co.uk – | Bilt Hamber | Dodo Juice | Nanolex | Sonus | Wolfs Chemicals + More | Loyalty Scheme Discounts |

Old 18-08-2014, 10:05 PM   #1001
hardyd44
PC Perfectionist

yet another sun gun

I posted a couple of weeks ago about getting a proper solux lamp ( wont say bulb and upset any sparky's ) of amazon usa for just over £12 uncluding P&P.

well it turned up today, so off to B&Q for 12v drill now £14 but still cheap in the scheme of things, struggled to get a connector as screwfix don't seem to stock them solo any more so ended up paying £4 at local electrical stockist (bit steep - but wanted to finish it after waiting 2 weeks for the lamp

anyway here is the bits before starting

stripped out the motor, soldered and heat shrinked the connections then installed the lamp, found this a bit loose so pondered for a while then had a look of what bits I had lying around, found that if I wrapped 2 grommets used for electrical cable entry into backing boxes plus 1 on the on the other side of the casing it held the lamp perfectly, and gave a little bit of cushioning

screwed it all together and viola!

quick test on my car that needs a wash (its black what do you expect, I washed it at least a day ago )
[IMG][/IMG]

so all done for £30 - could have knocked at least a couple of quid of the connector if I had waited, but still think it was a bargain.

Now to save up for a DAS6 pro to get rid of everything I find

Minor update:
the lamp was working intermittently, thought it may be the speed controller switch not being presented with enough load, don't over think things, was just a loose wire, so if yours does not work correctly just check all connections

Last edited by hardyd44; 19-08-2014 at 08:56 PM.
hardyd44 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hardyd44 For This Useful Post:
Lloydie (02-09-2014)
Old 18-08-2014, 10:12 PM   #1002
Tom48
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Just ordered my Solux bulb from Amazon USA, and have the drill ready to go! Can't wait to have it !!!
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:38 AM   #1003
SteveyG
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

I still don't get why people are wasting money on a lamp from the US that won't make any difference to swirl spotting ability.
SteveyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 01:47 PM   #1004
Nanoman

Thanked 1,795 Times in 943 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveyG View Post
I still don't get why people are wasting money on a lamp from the US that won't make any difference to swirl spotting ability.
Coz it's all about making something with the same light source as the SunGun so it has to have the same bulb to be 'proper'. I'm sure there are other light sources with just as good swirl spotting ability but I don't think anyone has come to an agreement on it. Who care really!
Nanoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 04:30 PM   #1005
Scottish Storm
Washmitt Meister

Quote:

How do you know it won't? When I made mine I could immediately see the difference between the bits I'd polished and the bits I still had to do.

Plus - I made it because I could?
Scottish Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:14 PM   #1006
hardyd44
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
Sorry but that statement on this forum sounds like trolling

yes the jury is out on if there is any major difference between a £12-14 lamp and £1 one from B&Q.

Why do we do half the things we do, why spend hours, nay days, on cleaning and polishing/waxing your car when no-one except you will know the difference between wax/treatment A and wax/treatment B?

because we enjoy it that's why!!
Old 11-09-2014, 07:19 AM   #1007
SteveyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardyd44 View Post
Sorry but that statement on this forum sounds like trolling
Not trolling at all. The Solux lamp is identical to a plain MR16 lamp, but it just has a dichroic filter on it which is actually reducing the light output by filtering out some of the red and yellow spectrum from the lamp.

Seems a pointless exercise given that you could get a colour corrected dichroic MR16 from the UK for a less than £10 or a plain MR16 for a few pounds and you'll still spot swirls.

The only reason the 3M Sun Gun uses that lamp is because of the higher CRI for paint blending, not for swirl spotting or any other nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottish Storm View Post
How do you know it won't? When I made mine I could immediately see the difference between the bits I'd polished and the bits I still had to do.

Plus - I made it because I could?
I'm not talking about the torch, I'm talking about the Solux bulb...
SteveyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2014, 02:57 AM   #1008
S@M
Sponge Jockey

Garage
Thumbs up

What a fantastic idea and a fantastic write up to go with it, electrics are not my strong point but after reading through this i think i could make a good go at it. Thank you.
S@M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2014, 01:01 AM   #1009
32-BOY
Sponge Jockey

Garage
I was just about to order my SOLUX bulb from us but it wont let me go through i have tried few different addresses in the U.K and its just not letting me order the bulb

Anyone had the same issue?

32-BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2014, 08:04 AM   #1010
hardyd44
PC Perfectionist

That is not being sold by amazon US, but a different company - need to find another seller that will ship to the UK - if there is one